Important Biological Scientists (1 Viewer)

chris1515

HSC
Can anyone help me out with the names and roles of a bunch of important scientists that helped with biological progress? i.e Pasteur, Koch, Morgan but i cant find any others.

Cheers

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well E. O. Wilson was/is pretty much the father of sociobiology.

killua_3

HSC
basically every scientist in the syllabus. lol

apart from those: mendel, boveri, satton, mcfarllen (or how ever you spell his name). i dont think watson & creek's work on dna can be classified as biological processes

chris1515

HSC
well not much hope here so lucky i have made a list whilst studying

charles darwin, wallace - evolution

gregor mendal - inheritance of chacteristics (peas experiment)

walter sutton, theodore boveri - chromosomes

morgan - sex linkage (fruit flies)

james watson, francis crick, rosalind franklin (female), maurice wilkins - structure of DNA

beadle, tatum - one gene, one polypeptide theory

ronald ross - mosquitos and malaria

macfarlane burnett - immune response, immunisation

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
Alexander Fleming, Howard Florey, Ernst Chain - Discovery of penicillin. Received the 1945 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine. Fleming also discovered the enzyme lysozyme found in tears, saliva, mucous and milk.

Hans Krebs - Discovery of the Krebs cycle. Received the 1953 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine.

Barbara McClintock - Genetic recombination by crossing over during meiosis, role of the telomere and centromere, discovering of transposition. Received the 1983 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine.

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
Edward Jenner - Pioneer of the smallpox vaccine. Inoculated a few people with cowpox and then proved they were immune to smallpox.

Louis Pasteur - Disproved spontaneous generation, discovered anaerobiosis, proposed the use of antiseptics, invented Pasteurisation.

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek - Improved microscope design.

jackydoll

HSC
You also have to know some Australian scientists according to the outcome eg Dr Fiona Wood, inventor of Spray On Skin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)