Important advice for all those considering studying engineering next yr (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
You either have pretty low self esteem or smoke a lot of weed huh? You're so blase about everything

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
smoke a lot of weed? i hope you're just saying that for the lols?
Not really, it's just odd, you have people paying you out left right and centre and its like you don't even care. Though i suppose that isn't a bad thing... just odd.

HSC
Not really, it's just odd, you have people paying you out left right and centre and its like you don't even care. Though i suppose that isn't a bad thing... just odd.
if they wanna pay me out, then what can i do aye?
they post whatever they want, i can't control that.
if i retaliate, the site will probably delete my posts and account for offensive comments.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
if i retaliate, the site will probably delete my posts and account for offensive comments.

lol, i doubt it, have you seen the news and current affairs forums?

HSC
OMG for god sakes, there's heaps of people that make similar mistakes like yours to begin with, but they either manage to change to a new course or decided to just stick with it.

EDIT: sorry man, didn't really know that you were intending on giving advice.

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
tbh i dont know why everyone is angry at the OP

he just trying to share his experience with engineering as a degree he chose "because he could"

with bonus points and whatnot, heaps of kids dont know what their getting themselves into, only to end up depressed half way through the semester

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
OMG for god sakes, there's heaps of people that make similar mistakes like yours to begin with, but they either manage to change to a new course or decided to just stick with it.

In conclusion stop your whining n00b. It was your fault to begin with.
Isn't that what he's doing?

HSC

In conclusion stop your whining n00b. It was your fault to begin with.
sure didn't see that coming

HSC
tbh i dont know why everyone is angry at the OP

he just trying to share his experience with engineering as a degree he chose "because he could"

with bonus points and whatnot, heaps of kids dont know what their getting themselves into, only to end up depressed half way through the semester
sure didn't see that coming either..

Finx

HSC
The site will probably already delete your posts, because your main argument at the moment is "Don't do Engineering, it was too challenging for me and therefore it's a bad course".

HSC
The site will probably already delete your posts, because your main argument at the moment is "Don't do Engineering, it was too challenging for me and therefore it's a bad course".
only time will tell

HSC
Isn't that what he's doing?
if he's doing that, then why is he complaining begin with?

@OP: i don't really blame you for disliking your course, it's just quite useless complaining about it and people should decide on what they like to do themselves rather than being persuaded that something is horrible or enjoyable.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I dunno, i think he just doesn't want people to repeat his mistake so they don't end up in his position. Perhaps he could have been a little more subtle about it but i can empathise , i don't think you realise how shit it would be being forced to finish out the semester in a subject you loathed, no idea how you would manage to motivate yourself to do anything.

HSC
I dunno, i think he just doesn't want people to repeat his mistake so they don't end up in his position. Perhaps he could have been a little more subtle about it but i can empathise , i don't think you realise how shit it would be being forced to finish out the semester in a subject you loathed, no idea how you would manage to motivate yourself to do anything.
yeh you got a point there i suppose, but if people still want to do it and think that they'll enjoy, then they should do it. But i clearly understand both your and the OP's point of view. :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
yeh you got a point there i suppose, but if people still want to do it and think that they'll enjoy, then they should do it. But i clearly understand both your and the OP's point of view. :)
oh no definitely, im just saying i think the op intended more to give advice than whinge, but people kinda got obsessed with the latter.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
OP, best take this to the UNSW Faculties of the Built Environment & Engineering subforum.

i've applied for science/commerce next yr at same uni. if not, maybe just a science degree or might even combine with arts. not too sure yet.
hopefully it should be less boring, and i should settle in the environment sooner or later.
lol arts.
Science would have been my next resort though.

Sorry, but most of us on here don't need warnings. We actually know what our courses offer, and we aren't fooled by the advertised gimmicks fed to us by a plethora of faculties.

You were fooled. You payed the price. FYL.
At least I wasn't in for all the gimmicks.
I was in because I knew that I would be on top of everyone else and be prepared with and work on the toughest problems and create and maintain what people take for granted.
Not everyone can be a godly engineer.

you move me uncle,
i want to be you.
You just need to have utmost excellent time management.
Then it also comes down to some tricks up your sleeve.
Then it just comes down to various other miscellaneous skills.

As Mister tommykins has pointed out, you need to manage your time properly.
Sure the first year Mathematics subjects can offer you 100 questions per week but the point is you don't have to attempt them all but complete as much as you can until you understand it.
Sheesh I never attempt problems that don't have solutions or don't have another way of doing so, like substituting your function back into the original ODE.

pretty much my order of preferences are:
1. science/commerce
lol

3. science/arts
lol

There are a couple of engineering design subjects in first year which involve hands on, making something.
No, not MMAN2100 Engineering Design 2 lolol.
It's a phony design subject.
PHONY.
Calculate machine speed, inertia and statics equations, select materials, draw mechanical components, write a massive 60 page report, etc and despite all that you don't make a real machine anyway.
lol that could add insult to injury for anyone who thought they would make a real machine by second year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)