Important advice for all those considering studying engineering next yr (1 Viewer)

HSC
I assumed you meant combined with science or commerce, why even bother continuing with engineering if it gets you so down? Uni's hard work yeah, but it's not meant to destroy your interests.

pretty much my order of preferences are:
1. science/commerce
2. science
3. science/arts

or if dont like science either, then maybe arts/commerce.
but i doubt i'll end up studying it, i dont think i'm that interested in it so i guess a small chance.

uni is sure hard work, i find it worse than hsc. so i envy you.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I can't see how you thought that engineering would be all fun and games, obviously it's going to be hard work

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hey all.
i'm a hsc 08 student studying engineering first yr at unsw.

just felt like stressing some warnings for those wanting or thinking of studying some sort of engineering degree at any uni next year.

PLEASE DONT BE FOOLED BY ANY UNI STUDENTS/STAFF ABOUT THEM SAYING STUFF LIKE "ENGINEERING, IT'S A HEAPS FUN/REWARDING/CHALLENGING DEGREE, YOU'LL HAVE THE BEST TIME HERE ON CAMPUS!!"
Psh you're first year, you don't know shit yet. how can you expect to reap the rewards when you're only first yr?
I FELL INTO THAT SORT OF TRAP LAST YR WHEN I WAS PUTTING IN MY PREFERENCES, COS I HAD ALL THESE UNSW STUDENTS ENCOURAGING ME TO STUDY ENGINEERING, AND EXAGGERATING HOW THEY GET TO DO 'FUN' STUFF SUCH AS BUILDING COOL NEW ROBOTS, SOLAR CARS, ELECTRICAL DEVICES, ETC ETC.
yeah thats in later years.
AND DAMN DID I MAKE SUCH A HUGE MISTAKE.
SINCE I STARTED THE 2ND SEM, I'VE NEVER MADE SUCH A GREAT REGRET TAKING THIS OFFER TO STUDY THIS SHIT DEGREE. FML
no, you're just shit.
i must warn all of you, that if u are seriously gonna be studying or even considering engineering as a future degree/career.
DO NOT STUDY IT UNLESS U ARE ABSOLUTELY 100%, AND I MEAN 100%, SURE AND POSITIVE THAT THIS IS WHAT U WANNA STUDY.
i was 70% sure and im handling it fine

i'm getting this feeling that so many unis are trying to suck students in to study eng and just really pisses me off to see when students realise theyve been ripped and in actual fact, u dont really get that much hands-on projects, rather just a shitload of report writing, thesis essays, and pointless work that really gets u fucked over and over every night.
uh - first year you have to get the basics down. that is mathematics, computing, mecahnics and report writing. start from the foundation up. are you that naive that you'll somehow be doing hands on shit right away?
BUT BELIEVE ME, UNI IS NOT FUN COS EVEN THO U HAVE MORE FREEDOM/INDEPENDENCE AND JOINING THESE STUDENT CLUBS/ACTIVITIES, THERES STILL THE WORK THAT ANNOYS THE SHIT OUT OF U, AND I BET MOST PPL DONT EVEN HAVE THE TIME TO JOIN SUCH CLUBS NO MATTER HOW FUN THEY APPEAR TO BE.[/quote[
there isn't much work. just your inability to manage your time properly.

i do engineering - have shitloads of spare time (i hang out with my gf every 2-3days, sleep over hers with no work done that night either) and am on a Distinction average.
on a side note, dont think finishing and acing the hsc is gonna be the end of all your problems and solve your future, cos uni is just as horrible and fkn stressful as much as hsc, depending on your attitude.
but still, u may find uni fun and interesting, if your that sort of person so u should be lucky and something to at least look forward to.
yeah and your attitude sucks.

In all honesty, do us a favour and drop engineering. You're too weak for it.

For those that WANT to do engineering - be prepared for periods of 'i hate this shit' and 'i want to drop out' - but once you learn what you're struggling with, you'll love it.

definitely a challenge.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Uni IS stressful and has heaps of workload. Is how you deal with it that matters.

Like Uncle, i'm also a 2nd year engineering student at UNSW, and i'll tell you now (from experience), if you dont study right from week 1, you WILL fall behind and you WILL fail.

Get into the habit of studying regularly for each of your courses, revise everything you've covered in the lectures, and you should be fine.

Also, there's not much essay writing in first year, just a few reports (which really arent that bad), its mainly maths, physics, mechanics (application of physics [forces, etc]in real world situations), materials (and maybe chem too), and some computing.
There are a couple of engineering design subjects in first year which involve hands on, making something.

But really, if you put in the effort, you'll get the marks. Its just that u need to put in lots of effort.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
pretty much my order of preferences are:
1. science/commerce
2. science
3. science/arts

or if dont like science either, then maybe arts/commerce.
but i doubt i'll end up studying it, i dont think i'm that interested in it so i guess a small chance.

uni is sure hard work, i find it worse than hsc. so i envy you.
Don't get me wrong, i find uni a shitload harder than than the HSC, but i i think its much more interesting so it strikes a good balance. Apparently you haven't had the same experience, such a shame. I hope things get better for you when you transfer.

HSC
Psh you're first year, you don't know shit yet. how can you expect to reap the rewards when you're only first yr?

yeah thats in later years.

no, you're just shit.

i was 70% sure and im handling it fine

uh - first year you have to get the basics down. that is mathematics, computing, mecahnics and report writing. start from the foundation up. are you that naive that you'll somehow be doing hands on shit right away?
BUT BELIEVE ME, UNI IS NOT FUN COS EVEN THO U HAVE MORE FREEDOM/INDEPENDENCE AND JOINING THESE STUDENT CLUBS/ACTIVITIES, THERES STILL THE WORK THAT ANNOYS THE SHIT OUT OF U, AND I BET MOST PPL DONT EVEN HAVE THE TIME TO JOIN SUCH CLUBS NO MATTER HOW FUN THEY APPEAR TO BE.[/quote[
there isn't much work. just your inability to manage your time properly.

i do engineering - have shitloads of spare time (i hang out with my gf every 2-3days, sleep over hers with no work done that night either) and am on a Distinction average.

yeah and your attitude sucks.

In all honesty, do us a favour and drop engineering. You're too weak for it.

For those that WANT to do engineering - be prepared for periods of 'i hate this shit' and 'i want to drop out' - but once you learn what you're struggling with, you'll love it.

definitely a challenge.
.....i just got ripped didn't i?

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i don't mind about you dropping out but don't talk shit about engineering when you don't know anything about it.

HSC
Don't get me wrong, i find uni a shitload harder than than the HSC, but i i think its much more interesting so it strikes a good balance. Apparently you haven't had the same experience, such a shame. I hope things get better for you when you transfer.
hey thanks for that.
oh wait, i just realised you're in uni too aye, thats why you have hsc 2008 as well?
omg sorry!! i thought i saw u had hsc 2009, so i assumed u were sitting it this yr.
my bad.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
hey thanks for that.
oh wait, i just realised you're in uni too aye, thats why you have hsc 2008 as well?
omg sorry!! i thought i saw u had hsc 2009, so i assumed u were sitting it this yr.
my bad.

lol, no thank god, i hated high school. Tommykins is gonna eat you by the way, i think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)