Importance of sea in Journeys Over Land and Sea? (1 Viewer)

rsingh

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm trying to link Crossing the Red Sea to Joruneys over Land and Sea.
I'm doing it by saying the sea motif is integral to both.
However, I'm kinda stuck abt what is the significance of the sea in Journeys over Land and Sea?
Any ideas?

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
hmm i suppose you could say the sea is a barrier in both texts that people choose to cross in order to escape the country they know in hope of a new land with new discoveries and obstacles or a better place... not really sure if that helps you probably already had that.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
hmmmm, that's an interesting comparison. yes, the sea is a barrier and a common medium traversed in both. anything with water is always interesting as there are so many ways to interpret it symbolically. for example, in the stimulus text, the water they cross is an ocean - so it could be symbolic of the deep superstitions about the end of the world of the old sailors, or uh, the illusion of a never-ending horizon over the ocean could be symbolic of the limitless possibilities of journeys. water itself moves in ever-changing ways, which can reflect changes in characters, the 'never-ending' aspect of journeys, a mirror of events. it can also sometimes be symbolic of the passage of time.
anyway, i know that rambled a bit - im a bit rusty on the stimulus booklet and i didn't actually do that text in my HSC, but maybe something in there at least might trigger some other ideas
good luck

rsingh

HSC
Thanks, that's great input from you guys!
Thanks a lot.

rsingh

HSC
yeh, my purpose for this is to link Crossing the Red Sea and Journeys over Land and Sea through the sea motif.

I typed this up... I think I know what I'm trying to say.. bit it's not coming out right..
I juss wanna say there is a common element of journey in both texts - namely, the sea...

"There is a common element of journey in both ‘Crossing the Red Sea’ and ‘Journeys over Land and Sea’. The two texts incorporate the sea motif as an important aspect of physical journeys. In ‘Crossing the Red Sea’, it serves to act as a facilitator for convalescence and freedom, yet there is still ambiguity surrounding the immigrants. The reference to ‘A blood-rimmed horizon” is twofold in its meaning. It suggests that the horizon can either be symbolic of a hopeful new future, or one that is imbued with uncertainty and fear. In the stimulus text, the sea is symbolic of the deep superstitions the sailors have about the end of the world, and is further an illusion of a never-ending horizon. This demonstrates that physical journeys entail limitless possibilities."

I don't think that makes much sense..
So if you could read and give me tips, that'd be helpful!
THanks.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
how about:
"A sea motif is common to both 'Crossing the Red Sea' and 'Journeys over Land and Sea,' enhancing and illminating the broad relevance of physical journeys to a development of character. Whilst facilitating the concepts of convalescence and freedom in 'Crossing the Red Sea,' the negative connotations of "a blood-rimmed horizon" create a sense of ambiguity surrounding the immigrants. Furthermore, the two-fold meaning of the phrase - that the horizon may be symbolic of hopeful new futures or one imbued with uncertainty and fear; illustrates the limitless possibilities of physical journeys. This is furthered in 'Journeys over Land and Sea' with the ocean and it's illusion of a never-ending horizon again symbolising the concept of the endless possibilities of the physical journey undertaken, whilst the crossing of the ocean - a metaphysical representation of the ingrained superstitions of the sailors - reveals that physical journey's shape character through the confrontation of fears."
- that wasn't too good either, but it's another way of putting it

rsingh

HSC
Thanks, you're advice has been really helpful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)