imo 2008 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
what i want to know is who in Australia decides who gets to go? and how come our teachers never tell us about this?
The AMT (Australian Mathematics Trust) decides who goes and they decide this by first the AMC test and the AIMO and AMOC, then the top 20 go to camp, then i think there is the AMO and APMO and then another camp and the top 6 go to IMO :)

Maybe my order is not correct but the first step is AMC and AIMO/AMOC.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
thanks Kurt and Derek. i see now.

tacogym27101990 said:
Because you weren't a good enough mathematician??
but teachers may not always know. but hey, at least it's advertised here now, so that everyone gets a fair go.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
by the way, i didnt mean that in a mean way. but those ppl are pretty insane
yeh. i know they are. its just that i think that everyone should be told about it and given the opportunity to attend (which is the case), but i think that schools could do more to help students to get involved. i'm sure at james ruse they tell you about it. but from my government non-selective school, they don't tell you these things.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
The standard of Mathematical education in Russia and China would make AUstralia look third-world. Only way to imrpove australias standing in these competitions is improve the standard (read: difficulty) of the education.

6unit maths, only for BScMath majors. awesome./

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: imo 2008

A High Way Man said:
The standard of Mathematical education in Russia and China would make AUstralia look third-world. Only way to imrpove australias standing in these competitions is improve the standard (read: difficulty) of the education.

Giving up 2unit adv english, i'd take up 6unit math no problem :p

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
A High Way Man said:

They have university extension subjects available to be done in yr12 for people like that.

And as to the earlier comment about it not being made public knowledge about how to make the IMO team - well, I'm pretty sure that if a government school had an absolute genius at maths, then they'd let them know. Andrew Price went to Brunswick Secondary, for example, which is a non-selective government school.

Affinity

HSC
me121 said:
yeh. i know they are. its just that i think that everyone should be told about it and given the opportunity to attend (which is the case), but i think that schools could do more to help students to get involved. i'm sure at james ruse they tell you about it. but from my government non-selective school, they don't tell you these things.
http://www.amt.canberra.edu.au/amocprog.html

Last edited:

vafa

HSC
N/A
We (Iran) did our most worst performance this year, we got one Gold and five silver but luckily we are fifth this year.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
humphdogg said:
They have university extension subjects available to be done in yr12 for people like that.
To the contrary, the rules of IMO state that should a student enrol in any course at university, then he/she is ineligible to compete at IMO. However, sitting in on courses at uni out of self interest is permitted, and we can certainly do that here.

Australia doesn't do too badly for its population. Sure, if we get 100 potentially talented year 7 students and cram them for the next 5 years, we would probably end up with 6 who are capable of getting a gold medal. But would it be worth it? Would any of them still enjoy maths by then? I think the answer would be no.

vafa

HSC
N/A
But I am amazed by the fact that Russia is doing better every year, it sounds like Mathematics exist in their blood, I wish I could do my education in Russia.

Affinity

HSC
it's so cold there that there's nothing better to do than staying home and studying

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Am I the only person in this forum who finds the idea of maths as a spectator sport somewhat...bizarre?

vafa

HSC
N/A
I look at maths as a game, you first try to play this game and and then you enjoy doing it such that you are addicted to it and you can not leave it and do something else.

Affinity

HSC
Iruka said:
Am I the only person in this forum who finds the idea of maths as a spectator sport somewhat...bizarre?
roflmao, never thought of it that way

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Iruka said:
How is the olympiad a spectator sport? It is purely a tournament for the brightest high school students to strive for excellence.

aeiss

HSC
We have a thing called the HSC which means you have to diversify, and spread your study over 5 or 6 subjects instead of doing maths 18 hours a day. Also we generally tend to have social lives. And that Sampson kid doesn't know even differentiation, so I don't really think the level of maths knowledge matters that much, but rather how you apply/ critical thinking skills.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
vafa said:
I look at maths as a game, you first try to play this game and and then you enjoy doing it such that you are addicted to it and you can not leave it and do something else.
if only i could think of maths like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)