Immigration Dept. grants pedophile a visa (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/11/12/1131578271456.html
Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone has been plunged into another extraordinary controversy over the granting of a student visa to a convicted pedophile - who immediately re-offended in Australia.

William Beynon, 28, was deported to the US on Friday after pleading guilty in a Townsville court to nine child sex charges, including using the internet to procure girls under 16 for sex and exposing a child to indecent images.

Beynon had been an exchange student at Queensland's James Cook University for only a few months when he was arrested in March.

Senator Vanstone yesterday denied any wrongdoing by her or her department - even though Beynon had openly admitted his previous convictions and history of internet pedophilia on his visa application.

But the minister acknowledged to The Sun-Herald that Beynon, who received a congratulatory letter from her in August last year advising him of the success of his application, may not have been a suitable candidate for an Australian study visit.

Beynon was caught after using internet chat rooms to make explicit overtures to a person he believed to be a 13-year-old girl, who was in fact a police officer, and he sent pictures of his genitalia to others.

He was sentenced to more than four years' jail, with his sentence suspended on condition of immediate deportation.

Beynon's counsel, Stuart Durward, told the court his client had openly confessed his criminal history when applying for a study visa.

Mr Durward said the Immigration Department knew of Beynon's conviction and 18-month probation in the US for three offences of using the internet to solicit child sex. Beynon, from Chicago, is a registered sex offender in the US until 2011 - which he also admitted in his application.

Senator Vanstone rejected as "absurd" any criticism of her personally, and deflected criticisms of her department.

"All visa applications for temporary long stay visas and residency are subject to a character test," she said.

"Delegates [from the department] have discretion in cases where sentences or prior criminal convictions are not sufficient to fail a character test.

"I am advised by my department that the delegate gave careful and serious consideration to this visa application."

A departmental officer added: "Mr Beynon's application, including the circumstances of his conviction, was fully considered by the department before the student visa was granted."

The department appeared to recognise the risks, however: Beynon was warned that his visa would be cancelled if he offended in Australia.

Senator Vanstone said that in hindsight, the visa should not have been granted - and the case would be reviewed "to ensure that potential risks to the Australian community are more carefully evaluated".
I should hope that future cases would be more carefully evaluated! I can't believe they let him in, given that he was so honest about his previous convictions. (or maybe that was why... because he was honest, they thought he wouldn't do it again...) I wonder if he actually said that he would still be a pedophile, if he could... Creepy. What do youse think?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I just read that. God she has got to be the most imcompetent woman alive! What an idiot.

HSC
my oh my...
its all getting a little bit out of hand huh?
--+ suspicious of muslim extremists? dob them in!
-----+ been unfairly dismissed? suck it up!
----------+ give a student visa to a pedophile? why not! we certainly do not have
enough child abductions or crimes, lets get some more.

for crying out friggin loud :mad:

malkin86

HSC
I don't get how she reckons that she's above personal criticism in this case, and her department is snowy-white too... It's just another ****-up by them to add to the pile, to my mind... but an especially chilling one for me, because of the children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)