Imaginative Journeys - songs? (1 Viewer)

bEAbEA

HSC
Hi,
I'm doing imaginative journeys too, and I'm finding the concept really difficult to follow! Just wondering if anyone had any names of texts that would be classified as imaginative journeys, if you do, that would be great.
I'm looking for songs in particular, but anything would be apreciated.
Thanks.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
if you're aiming for a ridiculously high mark for English, I'd say to avoid songs altogether.

What do you mean that you have trouble following the concept? Anything in particular? Or just in general?

Because I don't want to repeat anything you already know.

Some texts I used were

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Victor comes up with a lot of speculation - a world rid of disease, people living forever etc. Although this imaginative journey of his isn't necessarily a positive one, you can talk his speculative/imaginative journey - how he got inspired, his imaginative thoughts, his fall.

but for songs, so you can follow the concept, if you really have trouble,

Utopia - by Alanis Morissette - she's pretty much describing the perfect world - where people communicate, discern, and go without prejudice. Would you say that through this imaginative journey, no matter how unrealistic it is, she can be a better person after thinking this way?

Imagine - John Lennon - same thing as Alanis....

there's more you can read into, emphasising on the language techniques, but there ya go :)

bEAbEA

HSC
Thanks,
Songs are really hard I know, but we have to write an ongoing journal, with some assessable directed entries on imaginative journeys in songs.
Those songs you have suggested look good, I've just had a look at the lyrics.

The concept of imaginative journeys just doesn't click with me yet, I can't really see how they can be a journey, imaginative journey isn't quite true, but then how can it be a journey at all if it isn't true? It is definately more complicated (I think) that the other journeys.

We haven't started our prescribed text yet, we are doing the Tempest, but my teacher says that once we begin that, things will start to get clearer.

Thanks you so much

niteshade1312

HSC
I;ve been told to avoid songs because they are way too close to poems, and focus on something else. Also none of your related texts should be related to your core. Plus its easier then to be able to relate them.

banana_custard

HSC
I don't know how well you would go doing song lyrics - especially if you're not doing poetry as a text, so you can go with the "but the lyrics are poetry!" angle... But if you're determined to do it, here's a song...

Holy Grail - Hunters And Collectors

Quick google search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_grail

A friend of mine did this for one of his assessments and didn't go too badly in it - he talked about the language techniques and stuff like that.

freakcore

HSC
I did space oddity - david bowie and i got good marks for that no comments about it being to close to poetry which i did as well (emily dickinson)

Revolution

HSC
Kashmir by Led Zeppelin was the song I chose for imaginative journey. I dono if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it worked for me.
bEAbEA said:
The concept of imaginative journeys just doesn't click with me yet, I can't really see how they can be a journey, imaginative journey isn't quite true, but then how can it be a journey at all if it isn't true? It is definately more complicated (I think) that the other journeys.
The journey does exist, but is 'true' only within the mind. It was a strange concept for me too, for the first few weeks, but it's not hard to get your head around when you think ;)

dragon eyes

HSC
bEAbEA said:
Hi,
I'm doing imaginative journeys too, and I'm finding the concept really difficult to follow! Just wondering if anyone had any names of texts that would be classified as imaginative journeys, if you do, that would be great.
I'm looking for songs in particular, but anything would be apreciated.
Thanks.
music is a really hard concept to come by to get a good mark, but if you really want to use music, the best chance you have would be imaginary by evanescence, yellow submarine or lucy in the sky with diamonds by the beatles. you could probably use songs from musicals or something too, maybe colours of the wind from pochahontas or maybe follow the yellow brick road from the wizard of Oz.

fakingtheday

HSC
I used bowl of oranges by bright eyes as my supplementary supplementary. My main however was a film. But i would suggest bowl of oranges if you are looking for a good conceptual song on the journey of live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)