Imaginative journey assignment. (1 Viewer)

Lolita25

HSC
Hi all!!

We recently got an assignment on imaginative journeys and the question is:

How have the composers of the texts you have chosen represented imaginative journeys including both realities and possibilities?

We only need 2 texts to compare and constrast....apparently other schools have received the same question so maybe all of you can be of help.

I was thinking to do a book and movie but now im not too sure.

If anyone can help that would be great!

Please help me choose 2 texts suitable for this question AND how the question relates to the two texts.

Thanks

Subjects: Legal studies, ancient history, SOR1, mathematics, biology, advanced english

Not so nerdy subjects for me to be going to James Ruse aye??

UAI AIM: 90+

emilyprice1990

HSC
I think that you really need to focus on the idea for speculation on possibilities for this one, as half of the answer. I suggest Robert Frosts 'The Road Not Taken', as it presents itself with a 'what if' scenario. Ties in nicely with the imaginative journey, and uses colour imagery, metaphors, symbolism, etc. Plenty to work with there. I do not suggest doing a film, unless you are confident with all filming techniques, as you have to be careful not to retell the story, but concentrate on camera angles, characterisation, etc. Film is not a favourite of mine to use, but I definately recommend frost. If you are allowed to use the past stimulus booklet, have a look at the ivory trail book cover, and see if that ties in with your set text. I am doing Ender's Game, so it works well for me, but it is not necessarily going to work for eveything.

Hope it helps a bit.
Goodluck :)

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
While I think you should do a poem as their techniques are easier to talk about - every man and his dog does 'Frost's The Road Not Taken.' Hyperbole there, haha.

But so long as you're fine with that - it is a good text to do.

karnage

HSC
Does your school let you use the stimulus booklet for related texts?

My school doesnt :(

4unitfreak

HSC
So do you have to use your prescribed text (the one you do in class) at all? Because if you do, make sure your additional texts work with it.

I'm using Animal Farm and Pan's Labyrinth. Animal Farm's good because it's satire (which is an imaginative journey in itself). Animals don't REALLY talk - there's the imaginative part. Pan's Labyrinth's good because it's actually a good movie, not a text which is so unbelievably terrible you feel like committing suicide afterwards. Personally, I find Animal Farm fits into the latter, but we studied it in year 10 so it's a no-brainer.

Think about the texts you did in junior high, often a lot of those work. Book and movie is a common combination; I'm doing that. But a picture book works really well a lot of the time because you have the visual aspects and often, because they're targeted at younger children, they have magical or surreal elements to them.

Good texts I know of:

The Arrival - Shaun Tan (picture book)
Requiem For A Dream (movie - also a book?)
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card (book)
The War Of The Worlds (radio telecast)
The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost (poem)
Pleasantville (movie)
Donnie Darko (movie)
The Wizard Of Oz (movie)

Hope that helps somehow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)