• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I'm thinking of going on an international exchange (1 Viewer)

Kurby

HSC
N/A
Re: if I go international exchange does that give me high chance of getting a job at

Think of it this way. If an international student did an exchange program here in Australia, would it increase their chances of employment here? The answer is zero on that basis alone.
Doing a whole degree though might be different, it depends on their policies. Australia I would say is fairly relaxed than say Asian countries in that regard.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: if I go international exchange does that give me high chance of getting a job at

So then whats your point?

ur saying that since its so hard to get into that uni. If i go on exchange their and look for a job its more advantageous to me?
err no... the caliber of students in korea is of such a standard that its unlikely some foreigner kid with a mediocre wam will grab a job. trust you won't be accepted into those unis with a credit average

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

err no... the caliber of students in korea is at such a standard that its unlikely some foreigner kid with a mediocre wam will grab a job. trust you won't be accepted into those unis with a credit average
All greatness of character is dependent on individuality. The man who has no other existence than that which he partakes in common with all around him, will never have any other than an existence of mediocrity. - James F. Cooper

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

sghguos

HSC
N/A

err no... the caliber of students in korea is of such a standard that its unlikely some foreigner kid with a mediocre wam will grab a job. trust you won't be accepted into those unis with a credit average
Ok "trust you wont be accepted into those unis with a credit average"? or you saying you i wont be accepted as an international student exchange with a credit average?

Like I said, SNU is one of the unis at USYD that are in least demand compared to america/canada etc.....

Also, "unlikely foreigner kid with a mediocre wam will grab a job"
Firstly, USYD isa pretty prestigious university its better than 99 percent of all unis in Korea.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Ok "trust you wont be accepted into those unis with a credit average"? or you saying you i wont be accepted as an international student exchange with a credit average?

Like I said, SNU is one of the unis at USYD that are in least demand compared to america/canada etc.....

Firstly, USYD isa pretty prestigious university its better than 99 percent of all unis in Korea.
Korea's job market is nothing like the one in Australia.

I assure you that the university you went to has no bearing on getting a job in that country.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

Like global academic rankings mean shit. Germany and France has one of the best polytechnics in the world and produce some of the best engineers too. Unless you went to an Ivy league or top tech schools in the US (MIT, UC Berk, U mich, Cal Tech etc) or oxbridge, youre not gonna get a good paying job in Korea. You're better off doing an english teaching gig over there and spoil your youth on korean women and hang out with american soldiers.

Job markets in Asia are completely different than aus. Everyone and their dog has a masters or PhD. What makes you so special they should hire you and make sure you can work in a korean work environment vs a local?

Verify

HSC

Like global academic rankings mean shit. Germany and France has one of the best polytechnics in the world and produce some of the best engineers too. Unless you went to an Ivy league or top tech schools in the US (MIT, UC Berk, U mich, Cal Tech etc) or oxbridge, youre not gonna get a good paying job in Korea. You're better off doing an english teaching gig over there and spoil your youth on korean women and hang out with american soldiers.

Job markets in Asia are completely different than aus. Everyone and their dog has a masters or PhD. What makes you so special they should hire you and make sure you can work in a korean work environment vs a local?
Because you can speak fluent English. I'm pretty sure that ability in itself gives you a huge advantage when up against locals looking for the same job. Especially if it's for a global company.

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

Because you can speak fluent English. I'm pretty sure that ability in itself gives you a huge advantage when up against locals looking for the same job. Especially if it's for a global company.
Yeah it's so important to speak fluent english when dealing with manufacturing in China, Korea, Malaysia etc. Knowing the English language is not even an advantage anymore. Anyone whose working at higher level management in an asian company have pretty good English langauge skills. Korean Chaebols are huge global firms. They don't really need someone whose working in Korea to know english. They got branches in other countries to deal with that shit. Being fluent in English is not an advantage in global business anymore, it's pretty standard and I'm sure a Korean conscript whose been hanging out with American soldiers for 2 years would pick up pretty good English.

From my experience growing up in Asia, knowing English aint shit and you're not going to be paid an expat salary unless you were sent there, not going there job hunting.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

A local Korean who speaks fluent English >>> a foreigner who speaks foreign English.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Korea's job market is nothing like the one in Australia.

I assure you that the university you went to has no bearing on getting a job in that country.
You do realise that korea takes into account university prestige more than anything else. ANd obviously USYD is highly prestigious there compared to all those "non existent/ranking" universities.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Yeah it's so important to speak fluent english when dealing with manufacturing in China, Korea, Malaysia etc. Knowing the English language is not even an advantage anymore. Anyone whose working at higher level management in an asian company have pretty good English langauge skills. Korean Chaebols are huge global firms. They don't really need someone whose working in Korea to know english. They got branches in other countries to deal with that shit. Being fluent in English is not an advantage in global business anymore, it's pretty standard and I'm sure a Korean conscript whose been hanging out with American soldiers for 2 years would pick up pretty good English.

From my experience growing up in Asia, knowing English aint shit and you're not going to be paid an expat salary unless you were sent there, not going there job hunting.
To be honest most of the people there cant even introduce themselves in english. I know this from experience. (more than 90 percent)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

You do realise that korea takes into account university prestige more than anything else. ANd obviously USYD is highly prestigious there compared to all those "non existent/ranking" universities.
The cultural divide would be too great to make up for it.

Unless you're a Korean citizen or have lived in Korea for many years, one year on exchange will do nothing for your prospects.

If you want to work in Korea, try get a job in Australia and gain experience with a firm which has offices in the country so you could internally transfer if there's an opening. Also, look at firms which are headquartered outside of Korea as the cultural divide within the firm won't be as wide.

If you don't mind me asking, are you of Korean descent?

sghguos

HSC
N/A

The cultural divide would be too great to make up for it.

Unless you're a Korean citizen or have lived in Korea for many years, one year on exchange will do nothing for your prospects.

If you want to work in Korea, try get a job in Australia and gain experience with a firm which has offices in the country so you could internally transfer if there's an opening. Also, look at firms which are headquartered outside of Korea as the cultural divide within the firm won't be as wide.

If you don't mind me asking, are you of Korean descent?
ye I am. Does that matter?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

ye I am. Does that matter?
Well there's an expectation that you are a stronger cultural fit but that lends to greater scrutiny from your senior.

I still don't think it's feasible for you to go straight into a graduate/entry level job in Korea considering your current marks.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Well there's an expectation that you are a stronger cultural fit but that lends to greater scrutiny from your senior.

I still don't think it's feasible for you to go straight into a graduate/entry level job in Korea considering your current marks.
I see.
I guess i really have to work hard on my marks.

Verify

HSC

How good do your marks have to be to get an entry level job in Korea?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

How good do your marks have to be to get an entry level job in Korea?
I'm not privy to how recruitment works in Korea but take into account the structure of the economy.

It's very two speed with the chaebols being highly desirable in terms of social status and then all the smaller firms which aren't highly regarded. It's no secret that there is a recognition in the country that this is a problem so they are trying to dilute the market power of these companies without compromising their international competitiveness.

If the chaebols are the aim, then you pretty much have to be a prodigy. More so considering you are not locals, ergo you aren't acquainted with the work culture and social culture. This is why I always recommend looking for foreign firms with offices in Korea. You get the perks of living and working in Korea if that's your thing and the culture gap is partially bridged.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

And you do realize they value their own universities with much more prestige than overseas uni's right? rankings matter to them ONLY with local universities. They could give less of a shit of someone coming in from a "top" uni in Australia. Australia's only ranked high because were riding on the anglo university bias, same goes for Canada.

No shit 90% of Koreans have poor english. Same as 90% of Australians have piss poor chinese, they don't need to use it of course they're not fluent, it's not exactly German or Holland where everyone speaks good english. Having english as a language isn't an advantage, there's more than enough people they can find and recruit internally that can speak good english.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

If Korean companies are anything similar to Japanese companies (which I'm guessing they are to an extent),then you should also realise the graduate pay there is lower, and there a much more hierarchical system, where you work x amount of years and you might get promoted less then you do really well and get promoted.(it still happens, but you gotta push a lot harder). So note these differences too when considering. Also I've done extensive research on working in Japan, like Ozko said your best bet is really going to work in a international company which has a significant presence there and would allow you to transfer, that's your best means of lending a decent job there without having to work as an English teacher(which has no prospects). Generally speaking English is more of a bonus rather then a deciding factor for the job, you'll be competing with people who have much better marks then you and local work experience. There's also others like you which you need to compete with particularly from America, you won't be the only foreigner looking for a job.

Really pull up your weight if you're considering this,otherwise work here and get lucky transferring.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)