i'm in yr 12 and i still suck at writting and balancing equations help! (1 Viewer)

Sahand

HSC
i can tell u what ATAR u'll get... if ur in a dumb class (which i think is the case) around 60
does that make u feel good superman??

shady145

Banned
HSC
i can tell u what ATAR u'll get... if ur in a dumb class (which i think is the case) around 60
yep ^^ thats all u need, mmmm 60

shady145

Banned
HSC
actually i dnt even know y i am at school, i should be saving the world from bad :rofl:

1bpcsmem

HSC
Apparently its easier to balance the lower molecular mass specie first. (E.g. Balance hydrogen before oxygen due to oxygen's lower molecular mass) But I don't actually find that particular true as I simply just balance whatever species I feel like balancing first. If you are balancing alkanes, you can use the general formula if you want to although its not recommended:
CnH2n+2 + [(3n+2)/2]O2 ---> (n+1)H2O + nCO2

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
hey world, i just had a chem exam and this was one of the formulas that i had to balance. i got it after like 10 mins!!!! so stressful.

have fun

shady145

Banned
HSC
lol 10 minutes??? wat for, it just wasn't coming to u.
it took around 1 minute for getting my numbers right then another minute to check the atoms on each side
1:4------->1:2:2

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
lol 10 minutes??? wat for, it just wasn't coming to u.
it took around 1 minute for getting my numbers right then another minute to check the atoms on each side
1:4------->1:2:2

i was exaggerating. probs like 3 or 4 and seeing how i normally do them faster, i was worried that i wouldn't finish the test on time

greenie1113

Bone Saw is ready
HSC
well you do em heaps quicker than i do

but thanks loads for all yoor help!!!

im slowly gettin better
hehe
but i'll get there soon enough =]
:spin:

HSC
At high school level you should just forget about balancing metals or halides or super duper long molecules first, it'll just confuse you. Take this extremely simple example of the combustion of magnesium.

Mg (s) + O2 (g) ----> MgO (s)

All you need to do is count the atoms on their respective sides. Eg. There are 2 oxygen atoms on the LHS and 1 on the RHS. This can be rectified by placing a 2 in front of magnesium oxide.

Mg (s) + O2 (g) ----> 2 MgO (s)

Now if you count the number of magnesium atoms there are 1 on the LHS but 2 on the RHS so put a 2 in front of the Mg atom.

2 Mg (s) + O2 (g) ----> 2 MgO (s)

This then balances the equation. This may seem extremely easy but it’s the fundamental steps in balancing and if you apply this to 'larger' reactions it should become easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)