Ignored by the science faculty? (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I think he means by way of research grants...but as if 1st yrs would even know/care.

Commerce are moving into a new building because they want to:

1) centralise everything
2) space charges are cheaper at the new building.

HSC
Rekkusu said:
Lol, commerce is like closest to the richest faculty on unsw though, so it's not surprising how they'd have new buildings + so many buildings existing already for commerce.
argh, yes. they are taking over our heffron building, kicking us poor chem students out of the building! *cries*

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Raginsheep said:
I'm surprised at the lack of clout held by the science faculty considering the amount of revenue it provides the uni through patents, partnerships, grants etc dervied from its research or at least that was the impression I got from the associate dean at today's science talk.
Congratulations! You have fallen for their marketing! Seriously, thats what they want you to think.

Where does the Faculty of Medicine fit in with the scheme of things? I believe they are in a separate area altogether!

Raginsheep

HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
Congratulations! You have fallen for their marketing! Seriously, thats what they want you to think.
Wouldn't that be an outright lie by the faculty then? Considering he even quoted figures if I remember correctly (40%?).

Then again, FCE does have alot of internationals doesn't it?

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Actually, the Science and Commerce faculties are in deficit.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Raginsheep said:
Wouldn't that be an outright lie by the faculty then? Considering he even quoted figures if I remember correctly (40%?).

Then again, FCE does have alot of internationals doesn't it?
I was just pointing out that you need to take all the figures/wonderful things about the faculty with a grain of salt. The figures may be correct - but what they actually mean is open to interpretation. Of course, at a faculty welcome, they will point out all the wierd and wonderful things about their faculty.

But personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Science took a large slab of the overall grant money, they are at the forefront of Science Research in many areas. Just because they get lots of grants doesn't mean Science becomes powerful, most of that money is actually plowed into the research itself, and only some goes back to the university (in terms of money); they get the research instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)