• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

If you're stressed about this year, I have a good book for you (1 Viewer)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
I'm the biggest stress-head when it comes to school, and as everyone will tell you a little bit of stress can be positive, but too much and you will completely shut-down.
Because I've been stressing a lot lately (mostly for no good reason), I found a book which deals with the HSC on a student's level, not a parents. It puts the year into perspective- and it confirms what I've always believed- the HSC is not the "be-all-and-end-all".
It's written for HSC students, not their parents, so it has stuff YOU want to hear, now what your parents want to hear.
It's called, "Surviving Year 12: A sanity kit for students and their parents", by Dr. Michael Carr-Gregg.

If you're really stressed, then I would DEFINETLY buy this. It'll make you feel a lot better. It only costs about 20 bux, by the way.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
If you're really stressed, then I would DEFINETLY buy this. It'll make you feel a lot better.
Ellie_Belly said:
If anyone has the book, tell me if you think it was worth it.
Not that I want to cast any aspersions upon your integrity...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Why aren't you reading this book yourself? I thought you said you were a little stressed about the hsc too. :p

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
Sorry about that, I just got the impression from this post that you hadn't read it yet. :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
yeah wouldnt mind checking out the book. what issues does it deal with though besides just stress?

Last edited:

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
Yeh, I read that book before even though I wasnt stressed about the hsc at that time because I was bored. I borrowed it from the library. I found some of it interesting. I read it probably during last year or the year before.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
Its a good advice book, as the author had a son who dealt with the hsc (so its not some jerk just crapping on about how you should study)
He offers practical advice although I question why I would want to ever eat sardines for breakfast (apparently its brain foood) ...no offence to anyone who does like sardines...

I liked most of the advice, and how there were bits pulled out from real situations, such as the guy who decided to smoke weed to calm himself down before exams....(doesnt work, reduces memory..)

Definately worth a read by anyone doing the HSC :)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
.....yeah, it's cheaper than the other stress relief books on the market.

nwatts

HSC
I read it. It's good. The first bit of the book made me want to quit year 12 :p, but after that I found it to be encouraging and quite useful (some good practical tips for study and such). My mum bought it, read it, gave it to me. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
The first bit of the book made me want to quit year 12 :p
What was the book about at the start that made you feel like quitting yr 12?

nwatts

HSC
This one we're discussing. The first section is all about whether or not year 12 is "right for you". The author discourages people (strongly) from doing year 12 if they aren't fully passionate about it and wanting the best in their education etc. etc.. It kind of scared me at the time, because I am and all through year 12 a lazy ass!

Ellie_Belly

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
yeah wouldnt mind checking out the book. what issues does it deal with though besides just stress?
It deals with stuff like what to eat, how to deal with your parents, how to get enough sleep, exam day, how to study, etc. etc.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Its a good advice book, as the author had a son who dealt with the hsc (so its not some jerk just crapping on about how you should study)
He offers practical advice although I question why I would want to ever eat sardines for breakfast (apparently its brain foood) ...no offence to anyone who does like sardines...

I liked most of the advice, and how there were bits pulled out from real situations, such as the guy who decided to smoke weed to calm himself down before exams....(doesnt work, reduces memory..)

Definately worth a read by anyone doing the HSC :)

I agree with you on the sardines!!!

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
But really, the only thing that can alleviate school-related stress is the knowledge that you will get the marks you want...that's why those kind of books wouldn't work for me.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Dimsimmer said:
Yeh, I read that book before even though I wasnt stressed about the hsc at that time because I was bored . I borrowed it from the library. I found some of it interesting. I read it probably during last year or the year before.
Boredom is stress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)