• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

If your unsure about Bali come to Phuket! (1 Viewer)

zoltanx2004

HSC
I was going to bali for schoolies with two large groups from Newcastle; staying at the bounty hotel for 2 weeks. With the recent bombings in Bali, we decided to get together and work out what to do. Many of those who were injured were from Newcastle, even a few we knew including a teacher from our school, SFX. We have decided to pull out of bali and after looking over some alternatives (including tahiti, vanuatu, fiji and the cook islands) we have decided to go to phuket in thailand (stayin on patong beach) as it is possibly the closest sort of place as Bali. Its cheap, tropical, has some surf, shoppin etc. but also is cleaner, less politcal/terrorist problems, and has the best nightlife/club atmosphere:
http://www.phuket-tourism.com/where_to_go/nightlife.htm

From reading over other threads/forums concerning bali, many are looking for an alternative place to go and there are quite a few other large groups that are heading to phuket. My advice is that if you had plans to go to bali, but want to pull out or if you simply are still looking for a place to celebrate schoolies then come to phuket. There will be schoolies people there, everythings cheap (also no age limit for u under 18s) and if u talk to ur travel agent (like we did) you will prob end up spending the same as if u went to bali. Hope to see you all there... its going to be goldmine!

kristylee_

HSC
N/A
if u end up going to thailand dont bother taking ur boards, theres absoloutely no surf over there!!!
im booked to go to bali and still am... it could happen anywhere

Digital_Spork

HSC
Yeah, we have a group of 11 people who were going to bali. Looks like we are going to go phuket or somewhere in thailand too ^^

kristylee_

HSC
N/A
what resort did u stay at natstar? i was there around 5 years ago aswell i think

stace0101

HSC
Me and my friend were going to Bali for schoolies but now we're not. We're trying to get our money back (which I don't think is likely) or otherwise change destinations to Phuket. I'm keen but my friend isn't entirely convinced as she says its just as risky as Bali cause of all the tourists that go there now. I agree but no where in the world is entirely safe these days, and besides, Indonesia has a big history of violence even between their own people and they haven't even outlawed Jemah Islamiah still, with that still at large theres bound to be more problems. What does everyone else think of the safety factor in Thailand/Phuket? And does anyone know what the shopping is like there, similar to Kuta?

kristylee_

HSC
N/A
i reckon your pretty safe in phuket, but as u said u never know these days
the shopping is nowhere near as good as bali, if ur looking for shopping more than relaxing or drinking head to bangkok, its the best for shopping

stace0101

HSC
Nah I definately want to relax on the beach more than anything!! I was just wondering if Phuket had all the little markets and shops and stuff where u can get all the fake clothes, sunnies, dvds, etc.

Digital_Spork

HSC
Well, we are going to phuket, but not without a 2 night stop over in bangkok. It costs like $10 extra to go to bangkok for the 2 nights so may as well eh ^^

What date is the new caslte crew flyin out?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
anyone need any info on prices in phuket (patong to be specific) for things like food alchohol and transport pm me or add me to msn prisonermonkeys@hotmail.com

im more than happy to help you out (i did patong beach for my schoolies)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
we've been booked in for a resort right on patong beach instead of bali!!!

we have to wait for sure to see what garuda decide to do for people who had booked flights after their cut off date, but it shouldnt cost too much more than what we organised, especially if they allow us to transfer our flight from garuda to bangkok and then we get a transfer from there..

"SHAKES"

dwon at campbelltown athletics centre! putting in
HSC
i actually have a villa/holiday house over there which my parents have owned since they were married ive been there 4 times but the last time was about 2-3 years ago before all this shit started. phuket is basically the same as bali except the beaches are disgusting with no surf not including the islands like james bond etc, its still pricey and dicey with a large following of muslims and an ideal tourist location i wont be going back there for a couple of years now. the nite life is good but alot of old seedy blokes over there and ive always felt on my guard with two younger sister. my PERSONAL opinion is wouldnt be smart at the moment.

Digital_Spork

HSC
Yeah, but schoolies is about 2 months away man... stuff will quieten down again I'd say. ;)

connie :)

HSC
every one is just ina sudden panic about the recent bombing.. if every one chilled out and thought logically bali is the place for fun and partys

nothing can match bali!
nothing. remember that if u dogged out, your getting ripped off and no where near as much fun

im still going with a group of about 15-20 all for schoolies gunno hav a ball!!!!

jealous?

stace0101

HSC
Hey what are the names of the places everyone is staying at who are now (or were already) going to Phuket? We've still gotta see what Garuda say but our travel agent seems to think it'll be no probs getting our money back and then we can turn around and book to Thailand!! At least its something to be excited about again after Bali is no go :( Hope theres places left at such short notice but, did ne1 have trouble with accommodation?

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
connie :) said:
every one is just ina sudden panic about the recent bombing.. if every one chilled out and thought logically bali is the place for fun and partys

nothing can match bali!
nothing. remember that if u dogged out, your getting ripped off and no where near as much fun

im still going with a group of about 15-20 all for schoolies gunno hav a ball!!!!

jealous?
im not at all jealous. i coudlve still gone to bali if i wanted to, but i dont. thing is, yeh bali may be the place for "fun and partys" but as cyph has pointed out in NS, the atmosphere there now is completely different. noone is hitting the party scene.

you cant "logically" tell me that the bombs have made absolutely no difference to the party atmosphere.

kristylee_

HSC
N/A
i dont know about garuda, but air paradise wont refund any flights after the 15th of October, so if we cancel we will be losing approx $275 on flights plus maybe a little more for accommodation.
You are able to postpone your flights until the 31st of Aug next year for free

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)