If you don't get your desired UAI (1 Viewer)

TBK11

HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
You'll get owned in the interviews if they ask:

Interviewer: Why did you decide to follow a career path such as Medicine?
You: For the money

you have no idea how many ppl want to do mbbs just for the money and if that question comes up they make a heap load of bullcrap "Oh when i was little this and this happened to me then when i felt better i knew i wanted to do this and do that"

so much bullcrap is being said even my commerce teacher hates all students who are pushed into med just because they want $$$ or mummy and daddy said to do it or they'll get 3 on the behind lol

dp624

HSC
99.95 _almost_ guarantees a position at usyd combined med as long as your interview isn't supremely subpar

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Deltan said:
Getting into med straight out from school is actually the toughest pathway. Getting a UAI of 99.95 won't guarantee you a position since you still gotta beat the UMAT and interview. And there is extremely limited places, making it extremely competitive.

so really tranfer and post grad entry is the way to go for some LOL
Wrong.

For post graduate, there's the GAMSAT, where Year 12 Physics and 1st year Chemistry and Biology is tested. And it's a 6 hour exam :spin:

Transferring is also really difficult, where a credit average AT LEAST is required to get into MBBS.

There are plenty of universities who want undergraduate students, even interstate.

Best to make it in now rather than waste a couple of years on some degree that you won't even need in the future.

bubblesss

HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
Wrong.

For post graduate, there's the GAMSAT, where Year 12 Physics and 1st year Chemistry and Biology is tested. And it's a 6 hour exam :spin:

Transferring is also really difficult, where a credit average AT LEAST is required to get into MBBS.

There are plenty of universities who want undergraduate students, even interstate.

Best to make it in now rather than waste a couple of years on some degree that you won't even need in the future.

OMG a 6 hr exam!!!!!!!
*shudders*

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
"If you don't get your desired UAI"

What if I don't have a desired UAI? Geez, I don't even have any goal I want to achieve. I'm probably hoping for over 90, although if I keep going in my current state, I won't get there.

My father wants me to do Medicine though. The course looks painstakingly long though, and while I find this sort of thing mildly interesting, I have no idea what sort of career might follow.

/wrist

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Njn said:
"If you don't get your desired UAI"

What if I don't have a desired UAI? Geez, I don't even have any goal I want to achieve. I'm probably hoping for over 90, although if I keep going in my current state, I won't get there.

My father wants me to do Medicine though. The course looks painstakingly long though, and while I find this sort of thing mildly interesting, I have no idea what sort of career might follow.

/wrist
don't worry, few people know what they really want to do after school at the beginning of year 12, you'll realise what it is you love.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
Wrong.

I agree with you that if you tried your hardest and get 99.95+ then this is your best chance of getting into med, but what i'm saying is that for the rest of us who didnt obtain that mark, this is actually the most challenging and that's why transfer or post-grad is a better alternative where someone who is doing an arts degree has an equal chance as everyone else, provided you pwn the gamsat, interview and have an excellent GPA

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Deltan said:
I agree with you that if you tried your hardest and get 99.95+ then this is your best chance of getting into med, but what i'm saying is that for the rest of us who didnt obtain that mark, this is actually the most challenging and that's why transfer or post-grad is a better alternative where someone who is doing an arts degree has an equal chance as everyone else, provided you pwn the gamsat, interview and have an excellent GPA
Look at UWS, where the cut off mark is 93 for GWS and 95 for outside of sydney, with the UMAT and interview of course. There are plenty of Universities who don't have such a ridiculous cut off like USYD :).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
If I don't get my desired UAI,
  1. I probably aimed too high
  2. I probably didn't work hard enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)