• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

If they ask ''two or more related texts''... (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yes.

I know there are subjects that are quite easy to get away with, such as Society and Culture, where the PIP component can be quite simple to make up people in your secondary research such as people you supposedly ''interviewed'' etc.

I just thought English was quite the same in terms of risk factor like History, but I guess it is easy to get away with. I am guessing people may make up some foreign text that no one has heard about? And it is true not all texts would be online, but if there is not even a trace of a title at least or something, wouldn't that be suspicious?
Yes, it's generally suspicious, although they probably wouldn't do anything about it.

Btw is using another prescribed text from another module frowned upon? Like if I used The Great Gatsby for instance?
Yes

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm more worried about them asking for "ONE" instead of "at least ONE."

I'm still prepared for it, but my analysis won't be as strong.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Well you have time to build up a stronger analysis.

Don't pick up the mentality that this is a foregone conclusion.

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
Well you have time to build up a stronger analysis.

Don't pick up the mentality that this is a foregone conclusion.
Well, the likelihood is that either Mod C or Belonging will specify for just one related text.

2011 - Mod C (One), Belonging (At least one)
2010 - Mod C (At least one), Belonging (One)
2009 - Mod C (One), Belonging (At least One)

So going by that trend it should be ONE for Belonging and "At least ONE" for Mod C this year (which would actually suit me better than the other way around). Still, evidently I'll need to prepare more for the possibility of them just asking for one.

Lucas_

HSC
I think you should prepare a second one.

The fact it hasn't been asked for a while means that it will likely crop up again. Also, this being the last year of Belonging, I can see the Board wishing to say farewell with a bang.

Be prepared :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, the likelihood is that either Mod C or Belonging will specify for just one related text.

2011 - Mod C (One), Belonging (At least one)
2010 - Mod C (At least one), Belonging (One)
2009 - Mod C (One), Belonging (At least One)

So going by that trend it should be ONE for Belonging and "At least ONE" for Mod C this year (which would actually suit me better than the other way around). Still, evidently I'll need to prepare more for the possibility of them just asking for one.
Spot on.

A big upside of having another one prepared is that you can choose the better text which suits the question more comfortably if you are restricted to only one related text. Sometimes having that flexibility can do you wonders.

medicore

HSC

If it says atleast one and you only use one would you lose marks?

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Ah okay, thank you for the answers.

I think I may need to think of a book or movie I know pretty well and use that, because I don't want to start something completely new...

Lucas_

HSC
If it says atleast one and you only use one would you lose marks?
MY understanding is that it is always best to do one additional if you have the options. This means that (arguably) you should only do one text in the following scenarios:
- Using ONE additional material
- Using AT LEAST ONE additional material

In scenarios where you are asked to "use at least TWO additional materials", it is best just to use two and no more.

So basically: Just use the least number of additional material pieces you physically can based on what the question asks. It is always better to use the least possible because you can launch into a more meaningful essay with a deeper analysis of your additional material, as opposed to just scratching the surface of multiple ones.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Just a question. Is it true that Mathematics scale worse than Advanced English? Say for instance if you get an 80 in advanced, it's better than getting an 85 in Mathematics? Also for RT if you use a different one from what you studied in class and everyone from your school uses the one studied in class would the markers be sussed?

Lucas_

HSC
Just a question. Is it true that Mathematics scale worse than Advanced English? Say for instance if you get an 80 in advanced, it's better than getting an 85 in Mathematics? Also for RT if you use a different one from what you studied in class and everyone from your school uses the one studied in class would the markers be sussed?
Yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)