If a person finishes a degree, can they actually get into any degree after that..? (1 Viewer)

Iamscrewed

HSC
just by being a "Graduate" through "Graduate Entry"? The idea has been floating in my mind while reading on some uni stuff...

Suic1de

Banned
HSC
Re: If a person finishes a degree, can they actually get into any degree after that..

The only exception to the rule may be medical stuff which would require some other material.

Iamscrewed

HSC
Re: If a person finishes a degree, can they actually get into any degree after that..

But I thought the uni counts previous grades as well..like as in if a degree is 3 years right? Then wouldn't a persons Grade average/ WAM be somfing like this?:

year 1: GPA 7 out of all credit points for that year

Year 2: GPA 5 out of all credit points for that year

Year 3: GPA 7 out of all credit points for that year

THEREFORE, his total GPA would be out of all 3 years (Graduate mark) would be:

7+5+7 / 3

= 19 / 3

Which would mean he cannot get into any course by using the so called "Graduate entry?"
= 6 1/3 ??

Last edited:

Suic1de

Banned
HSC

Not sure if NSW have a different policy on this (doubtful).

I was just told by a lecturer that completing a university degree is the equivalent of an OP1 or high UAI (Not sure on those UAI figures).

I'm sure there would be circumstances where grades may come into the equation through competition from other people? So if your looking at taking this option, then don't look at it as a 100% possibility.

*ashlea*

HSC

I think your WAM is weighted so that the most important thing is how you do in the higher level courses of the degree. Usually first year courses only count for 1/3 of a 3rd year course, 2nd year courses count for 2/3 etc. So if you are hoping to get into another degree after graduating, try and do as well as you can in whatever courses you have left to do to bring your WAM up.

Iamscrewed

HSC

Not sure if NSW have a different policy on this (doubtful).

I was just told by a lecturer that completing a university degree is the equivalent of an OP1 or high UAI (Not sure on those UAI figures).

I'm sure there would be circumstances where grades may come into the equation through competition from other people? So if your looking at taking this option, then don't look at it as a 100% possibility.
Yeah NSW and QLD has the same stuff..we just need to convert UAI to OP ranks..and for you - you have to convert OP to UAI. This is by using that table in the UAC site.

So that means yeah, I guess your comment on "Getting a high OP/UAI" would be right and that Bigpoles post "You can get into any course" is correct..for both states...right? lol

And yeah, according to your last paragraph on the quote..grades do matter in uni as well if I want to get into another course I wanted to..

Iamscrewed

HSC

I think your WAM is weighted so that the most important thing is how you do in the higher level courses of the degree. Usually first year courses only count for 1/3 of a 3rd year course, 2nd year courses count for 2/3 etc. So if you are hoping to get into another degree after graduating, try and do as well as you can in whatever courses you have left to do to bring your WAM up.
Ok, so your saying that in terms of only if a person finishes their entire degree. I see, I didn't know that..thanks...but I dont know if this is true or not..but thanks, lol.

Suic1de

The only exception to the rule may be medical stuff which would require some other material.
I agree, medicine would be the hardest thing to get into in any uni..the same with Law sometimes..but medicine/surgery is the hardest

*ashlea*

HSC

Ok, so your saying that in terms of only if a person finishes their entire degree. I see, I didn't know that..thanks...but I dont know if this is true or not..but thanks, lol.
Yeah, that's how the WAM system works at my uni (Newcastle). All our courses are weighted, so first year courses are 1000 level, 2nd year 2000, etc and so each consecutive level is worth more. It just makes it more fair for people who try harder as they progress through their degree, or for cases where say a fourth year student does a first year (1000 level) elective subject. You should be able to find out how your uni's system works on their website..

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

You still have to have any prerequisites e.g. I could never do any science based courses as I did no Science after Year 10.

So despite having a BA, MA and M.Ed I couldn't do anything with Science as a requirement.

However, I should be able to get into any humanities based degree as I have shown that I can handle that at both undergraduate and post-graduate level.

Iamscrewed

HSC

What?! thats not true, you can do any science course without having done science in High school, theres a difference between recommended studies and prerequisites, and not many courses have prerequisites.
ROFL, he must've been a noob. Theres always bridging courses to meet those prereq/co-requisite needs...

You can do ANY course if you finish the HSC with a high required UAI regardless of what subject you choose, except you'll do pretty BAD in the first year prolly cause you know little even with the bridging.

BACK to my point of discussion! lol..

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad

iamscrewed, are you really that ignorant to think that someone does shit even after doing a bridging course?

there are plenty who do well even after the bridging course.

and you cannot do any course just as long as you have a high uai. there are some courses requiring one to sit for separate exams and intervews or even portfolios before offers are made.

e.g. most design courses, applied science programs, medicine, physio

some post grad programs such as medicine and dentistry.

Doomah

HSC

hecs is only allowed in your first degree.

HSC

my sister got an ENTER (VCE) of 98.15 and didn't get into medicine because she didn't do well enough on the UMAT which is the undergraduate health sciences entrance exam thing.

I know postgraduate law also has a similar exam the LSAT which you have to do well in to get in regardless of how high your UAI or uni scores are.
Fairly sure very few postgraduate programs even consider your UAI when they are deciding whether to accept you into the course or not - as well all know after a year of uni, high school was completely different and cannot be compared to university level study, hence they don't care how you did in high school because someone could ace high school (in a supported, structured environment) and then completely suck at uni where they have to organise themselves.

Also I wouldn't assume that having done a ugrad degree will get you into anything you want. Most masters/honours degrees required a good average weighted score for your ugad degree, and often specific postgrad courses require prerequisites such as a major or minor in a particular area of study. They only accept a certain number of people into postrgraduate the same as undergraduate - at ugrad level they use the UAI to rank the people who want to do the course, and have a cut off so only the quota amount can get in. The same with postgrad, but they look at uni scores, and sometimes they interview etc. If there wasn't some system of stopping everyone from doing postgraduate study, everyone would do it and there simply aren't the resources, nor the need, to support that.

So I wouldn't bludge your way through uni knowing/thinking you can do whatever you want afterwards - you need to do well to prove you would be able to handle postgraduate studies, and you don't just automatically get in.

spence

HSC

I know postgraduate law also has a similar exam the LSAT which you have to do well in to get in regardless of how high your UAI or uni scores are.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure this is only in America, I've never heard of anyone in Australia taking the LSAT

compache

HSC
N/A

The University of Melbourne Law School has made it a requirement now, that is all I know who has done it. Except Deakin University requires non-school leavers to take the DULSAT (Deakin University Law School Admission Test).

There have been some suggestions it might start to change in that direction, but who really knows.

HSC

Yeah sorry about that - I go to melbourne so I suppose it's the one I drew most of my info from and it is leaning towards going in a US direction with all its course (including only offering Law at postgrad level)...hence the LSAT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)