Identify IUPAC names for carbon compounds (1 Viewer)

Smilelivelife

HSC
N/A
Hi
This is a syllabus dot point in year 11 chemistry 'The Chemical Earth'

The dot point says
  • identify IUPAC names for carbon compounds as they are encountered

Im pretty sure that it is only referring to hydrogen and carbon compounds however im not sure exactly what i have to do for this dotpoint. I can not find any relevant information in the textbook and all the information online is to advanced for Year 11 Chemistry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

albertcamus

HSC
I'd say this much is enough for that dot-point (straight from my Year 11 notes lel):

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You will also need to know how to name carbon based compounds with other functional groups present such as halogens, hydroxyl groups and carboxylic acids.

Smilelivelife

HSC
N/A
Will i need to know that for year 11 ? Would you know where to find information on how to name the compounds with halogens etc. ?
Thanks so much for replying.

albertcamus

HSC
Will i need to know that for year 11 ? Would you know where to find information on how to name the compounds with halogens etc. ?
Thanks so much for replying.
I'm sure that what I posted is enough FOR YEAR 11.

You'll obviously learn the Year 12 content (naming halogens and so on) next year.

Indoz

HSC
at this stage, you dont even need to know the alkane, alkene and alkyne, just knowing the hydrocarbons is fine

Smilelivelife

HSC
N/A
at this stage, you dont even need to know the alkane, alkene and alkyne, just knowing the hydrocarbons is fine
Ok thank you, i already knew the alkane,alkene and alkyne but was unsure of how indepth i needed to go so thanks for clearing that up :)

Smilelivelife

HSC
N/A
I'm sure that what I posted is enough FOR YEAR 11.

You'll obviously learn the Year 12 content (naming halogens and so on) next year.
Right thankyou for helping me ! The dotpoint an the textbook are so vague that i wasn't sure of how much content was required to be learnt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)