identify einsteins contribution to black body radiation (1 Viewer)

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
identify einsteins contribution to black body radiation

this point always seems to screw with my head.

See the thing is that all the books deal with his contribution to the photoelectric effect, but that is separate from black body radiation.

The four main points:

1 - all or none
2 - intensity made by number of photons
3 - energy of photon dependent on frequency of photon (e=hf)
4 - energy of light includes a range of different photons at different frequencies

They all relate to the photoelectric effect in particular. I cant find anything on his contribution to black body radiation as per the ultraviolet catastrophe. At this stage im probably just going to relate his contribution to quantum physics through the photoelectric effect, but is there anything more specific than that? Cos I cant find it! lol

Also, just another general question, in the formula E=HF, does H represent the small "lump" of energy or photon, and then F represents the multiple of that frequence to find the total energy?

Is it that simple or a little more complex than that?

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
h is Planck's constant.
f is the frequency of the radiation
E is the energy of each 'lump' of radiation, dependent on f.

Einstein used Planck's hypothesis regarding the quantisation of energy to explain the photoelectric effect.. (Planck had already explained b-b radiation.. einstein didnt' do anything to affect the current understanding.. he just used Placnk's ideas).

Planck had proposed that the particles of a black body oscillated with certain, quantised 'lumps' of energy, releasing quantised energy. Einstein extended this to light - syaing that light could be quantised as photons with energy dependent on f.

Using Planck's ideas, Einstein explained experimental results for the photoelectric effect using quantum theory where classical physics failed.

hmm.. have i answered ur question? sorry... i tend to ramble off in all sorts of directions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)