Ideas for Major Works (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
siobhan07 said:
I know that at my school alot of ppl are choosing things like JFK and suuff to do with egypt. I personally think that its important not to delve too much into religious matters and debates as ui will just get bogged down . cheers:wave:
i think pwar would like egypt :D

anyway it doesn't have to be a religious matter if you can put another spin on it. for e.g. many people do the crusades but focus on the impact of historiography in the CHANGING views not on whether muslims or christians were 'better' per se

also debates is what history extension is all about!

HSC
Well I did history extension last year so I'll try to give you some ideas....
I did something on the Irish famine, whether it was deliberate genocide by the british...you could do one on the tasmanian aboriginals if you wanted to...anything you are interested in really...I nearly did one on greek medicine but I had too many sources to read through, all in the cripplingly boring translated from the greek prose that you read and it feels like you are undergoing chinese water torture....anyway if you have small class you can do something thats already been done and get good marks..on guy I know did Che gevara (or however you spell that) and got a very good mark even though that gets done by a thousand students statewide every bloody year.

Chew me:)

HSC
I KNOW WHAT IM DOINGG I KNOW WHAT IM DOINGG WOOOTT FEELS GOOD... but im not sure on my ACTUAL question yet though
Im going to do the Armenian Genocide in 1915, where the Turkish people committed many atrocties against the Armenians, and do not accept it today!

fashi0nista

HSC
yeah i was thinking of assessing the Salem Witch Trials and discuss the theories behind the symptoms of the "possessions", using other questions such as how and where were they accused and why did it stop?
its pretty cool how i can look at the documents during the actually trials and examinations as a source as well as books. :)

yellow_sub

HSC
im really into all the cold war stuff, and i was sort of considering doing the russian revolution in 1917 and how that caused the cold war, but then i came up the idea of the space race, and its paralells with the arms race and cuba etc

if anyone has any ideas on cold war topics that wouldl be great!

*miranda*

HSC
I'm thinking of doing the whole Pearl Harbour conspiracy theory....so if anyone has any questions/comments/help/advice etc. i would very much appreciate it
thanx

Stephanie55

HSC
I'm still stuck for ideas.
Anyone willing to help?

I'm interested in the wars and I'd like to do somthing with the perspective of America.

w00dy.

HSC
im starting to wonder if my school is the only school that hasnt asked us to start thinking about our major works yet?

and whether or not its a bad thing.

i have been doing some looking around on possibilities. but it really does seem so ambigious.

maybe given a little more time i will be able to settle on something.

*miranda*

HSC
Stephanie55 said:
I'm still stuck for ideas.
Anyone willing to help?

I'm interested in the wars and I'd like to do somthing with the perspective of America.
A girl last year from my school looked at Hiroshima (sp?) from the American perspective that there was no other way of ending WWII...or something like that. It was to do with how America won't admit any wrong and stuff like that.

The whole major work confuzzles me a lot! stresses me to the max too - definitly not a good idea to try and do four major works...but meh! I'll cope....I hope....
:bomb: Thats gonna be me at the end of next year! :) Good luck everybody!

syera

HSC
N/A
i need to think of an idea asap... ive got some vague ones... colonisation... the whole invasion thing with the Europeans in Aus... but thats quite popular i heard... im not sure! argh. i was thinking to do something related to the taj mahal before, but that went down the drain... ive got my proposal due in 2 weeks!

X

xeuyrawp

syera said:
i need to think of an idea asap... ive got some vague ones... colonisation... the whole invasion thing with the Europeans in Aus... but thats quite popular i heard... im not sure! argh. i was thinking to do something related to the taj mahal before, but that went down the drain... ive got my proposal due in 2 weeks!
Why not 1492 and the invasion of the Americas?

bored6

HSC
ancient_nut said:
* The role of mythology in history (choose a historian, for me Herodotus and Thucydides would be most interesting, and discuss how mythology shapes their history)
That would be an interesting idea. Is there any specific books / advice that you would recomend for anyone doing mythology and history?.

X

xeuyrawp

bored6 said:
That would be an interesting idea. Is there any specific books / advice that you would recomend for anyone doing mythology and history?.
Considering she hasn't been online for a year, I doubt she'll see that. :p

If you wanted to do that kind of question, you'd really need to chose a specific society, eg Greece, Rome, Egypt, Persia, etc. Tell us which area you're interested in, and someone might know of a good book.

What would be very interesting would be looking at modern myth and how that shapes history in a post-literate age.

bored6

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Considering she hasn't been online for a year, I doubt she'll see that. :p

If you wanted to do that kind of question, you'd really need to chose a specific society, eg Greece, Rome, Egypt, Persia, etc. Tell us which area you're interested in, and someone might know of a good book.

What would be very interesting would be looking at modern myth and how that shapes history in a post-literate age.
Haha, should've seen that

Specifically, probably Greece I would think...

I agree i've always been interested in mythology

Cheap Thrills

HSC
helloooooo. im only in yr 10 this year but im keen as to do ext history. what do yous think about the witch trials in europe? is it a bit thin?

sofinia

Old Gregg
HSC
I'm doing Henry VIII and his relationship with Anne Boleyn.

Like why Anne Boleyn was considered the most influential and important queen consort that Great Britain has ever had, and how did her relationship with Henry VIII influence her image.

I've always been pretty passionate about medieval history, and was pretty pissed off when our teacher told us that we were doing JFK...I wanted to do Elizabeth 1...oh well...

maddy_d

Taper Jean Girl
HSC
thats a really good topic sofinia(hope i spelt that right)

im doing how the event of the holocaust led to the implementation of the universal declaration of human rights in 1948. im really into the whole human rights debates and things so i thought i'd go back the the begginging.

the idea of the witch trials is really interesting too. maybe if you are interested in that stuff you could look into mccarthyism. it was a "witchhunt" in the late 50's/early 60's(around then anyway) where communists were hunted down and imprisioned because of their beliefs. its what arthur miller based the crucible on. just another idea for you :)

syera

HSC
N/A
everyone's ideas are really good!!! ... as for mine - im doing the different perspectives historians hold as to the identity/treatment of Aborigines (in Australian colonial history) and the perspective colonial literature offers... =S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)