Ideas for major : 2004 (1 Viewer)

Beaker

Hey,

I'm only just starting the course but I'm having some problems deciding on what to do in terms of a major work.

What I would like to do is construct a website about drugs and in particular its connection with the dance culture here in sydney.

The problem is I was talking to my teacher and no one has done anything like this before but its what I really want to do. I want to have basically a preety full on website but if i cant do that I'll just do a analytical essay.

What do you guys think? Is it possible? I have to do a speech in 4 weeks but I don't actually start classes for another 2 weeks due to the fact I'm doing hsc for a subject and the timetable clashes.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
That sounds like a great idea! Websites are quite hard to do...and I'm thinking they're probably more time consuming. Plus, you have to have all the technology and stuff.

Your idea sounds good. So now it's up to you to decide what medium you're more comfortable with.

It took me a while to decide between poetry and critical response, but I realised that I did so much better in essays than stories, so that answered my question!

Good luck in choosing!

Saul

*ss
HSC
if you do a website, you can get away without having much content if it looks sweet. which is helpful.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Beaker
Hey,

I'm only just starting the course but I'm having some problems deciding on what to do in terms of a major work.

What I would like to do is construct a website about drugs and in particular its connection with the dance culture here in sydney.

The problem is I was talking to my teacher and no one has done anything like this before but its what I really want to do. I want to have basically a preety full on website but if i cant do that I'll just do a analytical essay.

What do you guys think? Is it possible? I have to do a speech in 4 weeks but I don't actually start classes for another 2 weeks due to the fact I'm doing hsc for a subject and the timetable clashes.
great idea but remember this IS about the content not the design which is getting marked...that ultimately made me realise that to do a website would have been useless for what i wanted...

Originally posted by Saul
if you do a website, you can get away without having much content if it looks sweet. which is helpful.
just to clarify, doing a site based on design does not = good marks in fact if your lacking in content you are pretty much guaranteed a low mark....

whilst your idea sounds good it will hit one major obstacle, is it necessary? remember this is suppose to be an extended major work of english, will it satisfy the criteria...as of now it sounds like it would be better as a criticism rather than a website due to the fact that it *doesn't need* ( key words cos the BoS will take into account the medium and style ) to be a site and rather its a critique on a website rather than website based on info...

lauren_carter27

Colossal Member
HSC
Arghhhh someone helpp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm doing ext 2 in 2004 but I have run out of ideas. I'm really into poetry but what the hell can I do it on?! Every idea i come up with someone else already has it argghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone could just list some random ideas PLEEAASSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :(

Saul

*ss
HSC
go back to.... 2001 showcase, the writeitdown.com website didn't have much content at all... just looked fucking sweet, and this got 50.

Beaker

Yeh I totally understand its not the website design that is being marked. The actual site design I will be implementing over the next say 6 months... I can add and take away things where ever needed and I know how to make a preety good site so it won't be hard - well that part.

Its just the content.

I would do critism.. but the fact is I want to do a website with many different parts and using many different mediums. I just don't know if the board of studies allows for this.

I have to give in a proposal very soon but I haven't even started that because I don't know what I should do.

The website is extra work but I'd love doing it... I can include different mediums as I said like pictures/videos/essays/comments etc but I'm not sure if thats allowed..

... any help appreciated :)

KarmaKitten

HSC
Actually the design IS being marked. I mean if it wasnt, wouldnt it just be easier to do a critical response than a website?

You do need to show some skill at making websites and make use of all the things that are available. Eg Flash, animation, sound etc

kim_iz_yippin

HSC
Like most of the other guys said, a pretty webpage won't get you the marks. I've just started the course, and was considering a picture book for my major work - but was told that it would limit the level of sophistocation in my writing. If you're a computer genius, the webpage would be perfect for you. If not, the analytical essay is probably your best bet. If you're good at both, maybe you could try to combine the two?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kim_iz_yippin
Like most of the other guys said, a pretty webpage won't get you the marks. I've just started the course, and was considering a picture book for my major work - but was told that it would limit the level of sophistocation in my writing. If you're a computer genius, the webpage would be perfect for you. If not, the analytical essay is probably your best bet. If you're good at both, maybe you could try to combine the two?

tried the combination thing...my original idea was to have a flash presentation in which the story would be told but at the same time there would be "intrusions" coded in throughout the story threby hijacking it...the one problem was that it became incredibly hard to implement something which flowed...ie different reading speeds, putting buttons to advance like chapters, would detract from the story and buildups...so ultimately i reverted to short story....but i say if you think you can do it then go for it....its never too late to change anyway, i had to change halfway through the course and managed to churn out what i thought was pretty good, but yeah

Saul

*ss
HSC
jethro, wherever he is, changed his idea completely (from film to poetry) about a month before the due date... worked out really nice in the end.

engine no.9

I did a website for my 2003 major and they mark on content as well as design. Obviously the design aspect of it isnt as huge as the content but you've still got to know what you're doing. Any old fool could whack some text up onto the net.

There is a a lot of work involved in the website as well, people tend to think it's easy or something but it's really not so I don't see the website as an easy way out with the whole content thing.

My 4u teacher told me that even if my work sucked complete balls, I would get more marks for the "attempt" and "effort" just because of the size of the task and how much work was involved. But I duno if she was lying to try and make me feel better or not...because I hadnt slept or showered for 2 days. yea i loved 4u :|

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
If you want to do a webstie, don't let tradition discourage you. The more original, the better.

This sounds like a great idea.....go for it!!

Beaker

Yeh I think I will do it..

Like I enjoy doing the sites... so i wouldn't really consider it "work" as such and I'll have fun implementing the content into the site...

I just gotta make sure I can do it.. in the way I want..

Should know the answer preety soon.. proposals due in two weeks and i haven't started :S

tro

how are you going to research and comment on the drug scene in Sydneys clubs by the way?

Beaker

research .. easy read the papers, talk to club promotors...

i allready have all the info.. im quite involved in the club/rave scene.. so thats not an issue, like i have info from the head of st.johns who does all the events, club/rave promotors, punters, medical personell... many many perspectives... also family/relatives involved in people dieing as a result of drugs

ive just gotta confirm with the school if i can do it.. i'd love to

Saul

*ss
HSC
o god, you realli should think about that, i had a fucking hard time relating it afterwards...

Beaker

english courses as years 7-11 or only the preliminary course?

hmm not sure i'll look into that tonight.. but i really don't know anything until i have my first lesson...

but i guess i could relate it back to change? the mental aspect etc (just remembering when we studied hearts of darkness) ... hmm not sure but im sure theres a way.. i hope hehe

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by engine no.9

There is a a lot of work involved in the website as well, people tend to think it's easy or something but it's really not so I don't see the website as an easy way out with the whole content thing.

My 4u teacher told me that even if my work sucked complete balls, I would get more marks for the "attempt" and "effort" just because of the size of the task and how much work was involved. But I duno if she was lying to try and make me feel better or not...because I hadnt slept or showered for 2 days. yea i loved 4u :|
I don't think people often realise how much work is involved in a properly done extension 2 project.
the product is like, and seems like just one product like any other assignment tasks,

but that it's a product of 1 year's work instead of one week's assignment.

You put so much time into it that you are not even aware of.

I remember those sleepless weekends going on editing marathons :eek:
I just hope that it's all worth it at the end

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)