Ideally, how long is a response meant to be? (1 Viewer)

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
Title says it all really.
What it is the expected and ideal length of an essay response and creative writing response to achieve a top range mark of 21-25? (assuming the content of your response is adequate)

JayJayz22

HSC
I'm not too sure if this follows the 'usual' responses, but my essay is 1600 words and my story around 1300 words - in my trials I achieved 23/25 for them both.
IMO if your response contains your two core texts and around 3 related texts, and that you answer the question and show a deep and sophisticated understanding of your topic/module, then you are eligible for the top band.
Make sure you understand the topic, have a strong grasp of what can be asked of you, and how you are going to go about answering the question.
Be confident. :) Good luck.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
i'm not too sure if this follows the 'usual' responses, but my essay is 1600 words and my story around 1300 words - in my trials i achieved 23/25 for them both.
Imo if your response contains your two core texts and around 3 related texts, and that you answer the question and show a deep and sophisticated understanding of your topic/module, then you are eligible for the top band.
Make sure you understand the topic, have a strong grasp of what can be asked of you, and how you are going to go about answering the question.
Be confident. :) good luck.
...huh?

Clifford

HSC
I'm not too sure if this follows the 'usual' responses, but my essay is 1600 words and my story around 1300 words - in my trials I achieved 23/25 for them both.
IMO if your response contains your two core texts and around 3 related texts, and that you answer the question and show a deep and sophisticated understanding of your topic/module, then you are eligible for the top band.
huh?

haw... my trial essay was around 1,500 (not exactly sure) and my creative is 1,350 (creative takes about 45 mins to write...)

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
What you've done seems to be right on the mark. From everything I've been hearing, 1500 words each (give or take) is a pretty solid amount to work with, and is achievable in the given time. Obviously length isn't everything, you just have to nail your content from then on.
Cheers. :D

kurtyman

HSC
both mine are bordering on 2000 words.. blahhhh. need to cut down.

em_angel23

HSC
I'm a fan of having somewhat shorter pieces and therefore feeling more leisurely and relaxed, mine are both under 1300, but in the trial i only got 44/50! gah my story brought me down so much!!!

smelnizzle

HSC
Uni Grad
i looked at the book that board of studies compiled with exemplar responses and the pages written are approx 13ish bos paper.

my essay is just under 1800 (it freakn took me forevz to cut)

and the length of creative varies.
i still need to fix my creative. omg. D:

niloony

HSC
I'm aiming for 12-14 pages for each one but my creative might be short enough to allow more essay writing so around 1600 words for my handwriting.

However I really really hope they give us questions we couldn't possible write a preprepared essay/creative for XD

Give us 3 core 1 related so that general chaos ensues!

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I'm aiming for 12-14 pages for each one but my creative might be short enough to allow more essay writing so around 1600 words for my handwriting.

However I really really hope they give us questions we couldn't possible write a preprepared essay/creative for XD

hitler.

verdades

HSC

Ain't gonna happen.
*crosses fingers*

Everything else so far has been think, not necessarily add extra stuff xD.

ashllis92

HSC

I so agree! I don't rote learn essay's and I know all three core texts really well as well so I can pick and choose tomorrow! It would screw up 90% of the candidates which would probably work in my favour! In saying that, it would suck for that 90%

mushroom_magic

HSC
hating being that 90% right now lol
nah i could bullshit it to some degree me thinks
the creative writing is going to be the killer last time i wrote about mice....don't ask how i went...my mind works in mysterious ways and i couldnt get past the damn mice!!

ashllis92

HSC
Possibly there is something to your username as far as your mind working in weird ways???
But dw, my creative writing is from the point of view of a chandelier in the house of an elderly kleptomaniac who walks in circles all day

Monsterman

HSC
Title says it all really.
What it is the expected and ideal length of an essay response and creative writing response to achieve a top range mark of 21-25? (assuming the content of your response is adequate)
Write as much as you can..honestly.. I write shit slow so i could only manage below 3k words.. but others wrote 4k or so.... It depends on whether you get the message across though. if you can put together a good enough essay then you wont have to write alot...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)