Idea for choosing "reading list" books (1 Viewer)

Flick

Hi there everyone, I'm so glad we have this new section, thanks Laz! Nice to know I'm not the only bookworm around here...:D

Just wanted to air an idea for choosing books on the "reading list". I've noticed a couple of ppl saying that they aren't too fond of "classics" (and I must say, neither am I! Personally I prefer Fantasy/Sci-Fi...) and that the reading list is made up of mostly classic books.

So, I was thinking, most of us want to have a set list of books to broaden our reading horizons (as let's face it, most of us have a fave genre) so when picking a list to poll from (like the 1984, Persuasion, Clockwork Orange, etc. one) could we choose from books from different genres?
eg. Fantasy, Romance, Historical, Horror, Sci-Fi, Comedy.

Or if we decide to adopt a set time for reading individual books (before posting discussions), say 3 weeks or something, maybe have like each time period as a set theme (see examples) and then choose from a list of that genre?

Anyways, please post and let me know what you think, or if you have any questions (my brain IS on vacation at the moment, so if something in here doesn't make sense, please feel free to bring it to my attention). In the meantime, back to those library books for me...:read:
Hope to hear from you all soon...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I agree that we need to be fair and try and suit everyone's tastes. Your idea is really good, but if we poll one from each genre each week we may still end up with the same genre each week (ie more ppl in here like fantasy than the classics, so majority rules and there will be a fantasy every week).
This weeks poll are just ones I randomly chose off the list I posted cos I just wanted to see if the system would work, we will definitely be working out a way to make it more equitable for people with different tastes!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i reckon we should just get a list up (say one book from each genre), you pick a book off that list, that way you could read what you want to read, then have say 2 weeks per book, then the thread thingy for that book could be closed.

Flick

Originally posted by Ms 12
I agree that we need to be fair and try and suit everyone's tastes. Your idea is really good, but if we poll one from each genre each week we may still end up with the same genre each week (ie more ppl in here like fantasy than the classics, so majority rules and there will be a fantasy every week).
That's a very good point, I didn't think of that! :eek:
I'm pretty sure we have quite a variety of different tastes on this board, but there probably is a majority one on here. Ok, so scrapping the first idea, what about setting a genre every however often (say 3 weeks or so) and putting up a list for that particular genre to choose from. That'd be fairer don't you think?

BTW, I really liked your idea for the reading list poll you put up, it was a good one, I just had a brainwave when I saw some posts about the lack of other genres on the list...The system sounds great so far though, and I appreciate the time and effort you've put into it, as does everyone else I'm sure! Keep up the good work, Ms 12!

Flick

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i reckon we should just get a list up (say one book from each genre), you pick a book off that list, that way you could read what you want to read, then have say 2 weeks per book, then the thread thingy for that book could be closed.
Closing the threads after a period of time is a good idea, but maybe a month after the first person posts would be better for those ppl that like to take their time when reading. However, it'd only work if we had a set book to read, otherwise ppl would just read different books at the same time and the threads on all the books on that list would close at the same time.

Leanne

HSC
hmm..yes i like this idea- especially since we have TIME to read watever we want ey???

i like the idea of a different genre each month- and we can set sumthing like 5 books from that category to choose from- like famous ones....also- by doing a different genre each month- we can sorta force ourselves into readin something different from the ordinary!

lazybum

HSC
N/A
instead of talking about it why don't we start? someone put up a forum already !

miss-teek

welll i have some ideas

August -Mystery/ History: The Da Vinci Code
September - Anne of Green Gables
October - Adventure: Jurassic Park
November: Biography: Potrait of a Killer (Patricia Cornwell)
December: : The Hobbit

???

jesshika

supreme being
has anyone read
Rich dad poor dad by Robert _____
it was recommended to me but i thought id just get a few opinions if yuve read it

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there is already a thread on this book and let's just say there are plenty of opinions on it lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)