Iceland (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
OMG! Iceland is so awesome. I wanna go there, too. I think I'll do uni first, though I'd love an exchange there.

What in particular were you wondering about?

Iceland is more westernised than other European countries. 80% of its power comes from cheap renewables, some of the footpaths and walkways are heated (just because they can). You've got volcanoes, glaciers, thermal beaches (oh yeah!). 1/2 of the country's population lives in the cpaital city, Reykjavik. The people are very academic and read a hell of a lot. The people are tall and live about as long as Japanese or Australians (which is very long). Ummm...

If you plan to learn Icelandic, the ebst book for it is Colloquial Icelandic. You'll have a hard time getting somebody to teach you since, only about 300,000 people speak Icelandic. It's also the language of the Vikings and basically hasn't changed in 600-800 years.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
dont the majority of iceland people speak english?
i just want to go there, coz i saw it on Oprah, and all they ever did was go to pubs and drink copius amounts of beer and other alcohol.
and coz it fascinates me.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
It's a very beautiful country. The new Beowulf and Grendel is being shot there, so that'd be a movie for you to see Slide Rule :).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
mmm_sofay said:
dont the majority of iceland people speak english?
i just want to go there, coz i saw it on Oprah, and all they ever did was go to pubs and drink copius amounts of beer and other alcohol.
and coz it fascinates me.
They do, but they are very proud of their own language. So why not take the time to learn a few things in Icelandic?

And I think you should perhaps do some research, since Oprah has conveyed a bit of a skewed sense of Iceland.

Neo: Ohhh! *checks movie*

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Their barbarians are pretty down with the times:

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Slide Rule said:
They do, but they are very proud of their own language. So why not take the time to learn a few things in Icelandic?

And I think you should perhaps do some research, since Oprah has conveyed a bit of a skewed sense of Iceland.

Neo: Ohhh! *checks movie*
yeah, i will learn how to say "can i have a beer please?" and "wheres the pub?" and "thank you"

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
I went there last year with my dad while he had a conference. It is so beautiful
Conference dinner was a trip to the blue lagoon with blue vodka flowing, culmintaing in a "viking feast" so very very cool

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I'd like to travel there sometime.....and eat some fish there
it seems like a dream

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Yeah i want to go there! as well as Greenland :p
But i reckon that both of them should have their names changed around =/

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Nordic and Scandenavian countries present themselves with exorbent amounts of tax, particularly Iceland as it is an island, and it is nescessary for most things to be imported.

I think what very much attracts people to it as a country is the general mysterious nature it and it's people hold.

If you plan on going, make sure to have a lot of money, and warm clothes as the temperature averages year round at about 5 degrees celcius. Icelandic people tend to drive everywhere, and have little value for walking.

Yes, Icelandic people can speak english, but you may experience better service or response if you do make an effort to learn or speak a little Icelandic, but rest assured it is a difficult language to learn.

Some universities such as UNSW do offer partnerships with the University of Iceland, located in the capital city: Reykjavik.

Ímyndaðu þér bara! (Just imagine)

*Minka*

HSC
Pretty much what everyone else has said before me - simply GORGEOUS country wtih beautiful landscapes. People will really apprciate the effort if you try and speak some Icelandic - even if you speak a couple of sentences and can't say it right ands are stilted, they will love you for giving it a go and will happily speak ENglish with you after that. It is very hard to speak, but you will pick up a few sayings and people will happily teach you a bit. I was there in Summer and they had these gorgeous days that never seemed to end because of it being so close to the Artic circle. Wasn't there long - we had to leave after a few days, but I wopuld love to go back there sometime.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
Wow...i can't belive there's a thread on iceland here.
It's been my somewhat weird fantasy to go iceland for the last few years.
Ever since i saw the icelandic movie 'Noi Albinoi' ive been riveted by the place.
The lonely planet book is great... all i know how to say is yes and no though...so i think ill have to brush up on the old icelandic.

Ive read about the ridiculous prices...it's supposedly the most expensive place in europe (as it's such a remote place the taxes on imports are huge)

Does anyone that's been know how to do Iceland backpacker style?...any info would be greatly appreciated.

I got soo interested by Iceland that i ended basing my Ext 2 major work on it...i think i'm slightly obsessed.

Hopefully i'll get to travel there on my gap year 2007..WOOO!

Last edited:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
hazaar said:
Wow...i can't belive there's a thread on iceland here.
It's been my somewhat weird fantasy to go iceland for the last few years.
Ever since i saw the icelandic movie 'Noi Albinoi' ive been riveted by the place.
The lonely planet book is great... all i know how to say is yes and no though...so i think ill have to brush up on the old icelandic.

Ive read about the ridiculous prices...it's supposedly the most expensive place in europe (as it's such a remote place the taxes on imports are huge)

Does anyone that's been know how to do Iceland backpacker style?...any info would be greatly appreciated.

I got soo interested by Iceland that i ended basing my Ext 2 major work on it...i think i'm slightly obsessed.

Hopefully i'll get to travel there on my gap year 2007..WOOO!
There's no real need to brush up on icelandic, the vast majority speak english.

As for expensive, it has the most expensive McDonalds in the world... that's a fair estimate of the cost of living. As for travelling, it's an ideal destination to spend a week or 2 in but I'd link it with a bit of travel around the rest of Scandinavia since there is a lot more to see in Scandinavia, especially Norway.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Backpacking could prove difficult in Iceland considering all Icelanders use their own cars and don't walk anywhere.

You might be interested to check out this website:

http://www.nat.is/

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
So it's been 2 years since this thread was made and I still want to go to Iceland. :D

Loza33

HSC
Haha, two of my friends went over to England around christmas 05, and while at out one night met some random girls.. and they girls asked if they had any plans for nye. My friends did not, so the girls were like "oh come over to our place we are having a party" the guys agreed, without thinking where the girls lived.. Turned out they were from Iceland.... These two men, had nothing better to do and thought 'why not?'

Anyhoo... they went, absolutely loved it! They came back to australia for a few months, one got a transfer from uni and has now been in iceland for over a year, the other one is still living in australia but has returned to iceland several times since then... they love it!!

Just a funny anaecdote about iceland... i havent been!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Haha. Sweet story. You should go to Iceland, though. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)