iBook vs Thinkpad (1 Viewer)

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
I'm looking to buy a very cheap, second hand laptop for uni work and internet surfing. Which one should I get?

The IBM Thinkpad R50, 15 inch TFT, PM 1.6GHz, 512MB, 60GB, Combo Drive, with Bluetooth and Wireless for $749

OR

The Apple iBook G4 14inch TFT, 933MHz, 256MB, 40GB, Combo Drive, with Wireless Internet for $689? (with Office and Photoshop installed)

I know the iBook is no match for the Thinkpad in terms of specs, but I really love its appearance and everyone who owns a Mac says they'll never want to go back to PC...:eek:

There is also a refurbished Toshiba Tecra S1 Centrino 1.7GHz, 1GB, 40GB, DVD-RW, with Wireless and Bluetooth...for $789

Can someone also tell me if they're all good deals????

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
You don't want the R50. It's very bulky, and heavy. I would recommend saving a couple more hundred dollars and purchasing a brand new $900.00 Acer, or $900.00 Compaq. When you purchase a brand new laptop, it will come with a warrantee and recovery disks. Also, the laptop will have XP.

If you want Photoshop, read a little about torrents and download CS2 for nothing.

Good advice, (K)Ubuntu ftw.

goosiegoo

HSC
I'd recommend the iBook but thats because i'm a devoted mac user. :D However the RAM in that one is rather crudulous... you could always invest in some RAM? but i agree with Miles Edgeworth, they're very sturdy machines, very reliable.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Go the Toshi. They're some pretty sweet specs. Run ubuntu - it has a free image editor called GIMP. Similar to and just as powerful as Photoshop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)