I2I Dot point explanation. (1 Viewer)

-X-

HSC
N/A
Can someone explain this dot point for me? I seriously dont understand what its asking.
gather, process and present secondary information to discuss how shortcomings in available technology lead to an increased knowledge of the properties of materials with particular reference to the invention of the transistor
HSC online site only explains how a transisotr works for this.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
it's generally how during the 40s/50s there was a huge expansion in telephone networks, but they were all using vacuum tubes... and because of the flaws in such devices, (eg unreliability, heating, start-up time) the system was getting really intolerable, and also seriously limiting long-distance phone calls.

and then shockley, brattain, bardeen were playing around with semiconductors around that time, to see if they could find a replacement for vacuum tubes. They found if they stuck electrical outputs on a crystal of germanium, the output power was greater than input power. They saw potential, and greatly increased our scientific understanding of semiconductors.

shockley is credited with inventing transistors, which rapidly and effectively replaced most thermionic devices within a couple of decades.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
wow...sique is like a human textbook...she recited basically verbatim what was stated in the textbooks....*r-e-s-p-e-c-t*

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
also, they started investigating semiconductors during WW2 when germanium was used as rectifiers in the newly developed radar systems... these developments led to the post war interest in solid state devices and shockley and co's discoveries as sique mentioned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)