I want someone to tear apart this website... (1 Viewer)

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
bryson:

IN 1953, STANLEY Miller, a graduate student at the University of Chicago, took two flasks—one containing a little water to represent a primeval ocean, the other holding a mixture of methane, ammonia, and hydrogen sulphide gases to represent Earth’s early atmosphere—connected them with rubber tubes, and introduced some electrical sparks as a stand-in for lightning. After a few days, the water in the flasks had turned green and yellow in a hearty broth of amino acids, fatty acids, sugars, and other organic compounds. “If God didn’t do it this way,” observed Miller’s delighted supervisor, the Nobel laureate Harold Urey, “He missed a good bet.”

Press reports of the time made it sound as if about all that was needed now was for somebody to give the whole a good shake and life would crawl out. As time has shown, it wasn’t nearly so simple. Despite half a century of further study, we are no nearer to synthesizing life today than we were in 1953 and much further away from thinking we can. Scientists are now pretty certain that the early atmosphere was nothing like as primed for development as Miller and Urey’s gaseous stew, but rather was a much less reactive blend of nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Repeating Miller’s experiments with these more challenging inputs has so far produced only one fairly primitive amino acid. At all events, creating amino acids is not really the problem. The problem is proteins.

Proteins are what you get when you string amino acids together, and we need a lot of them. No one really knows, but there may be as many as a million types of protein in the human body, and each one is a little miracle. By all the laws of probability proteins shouldn’t exist. To make a protein you need to assemble amino acids (which I am obliged by long tradition to refer to here as “the building blocks of life”) in a particular order, in much the same way that you assemble letters in a particular order to spell a word. The problem is that words in the amino acid alphabet are often exceedingly long. To spell collagen, the name of a common type of protein, you need to arrange eight letters in the right order. But to make collagen, you need to arrange 1,055 amino acids in precisely the right sequence. But—and here’s an obvious but crucial point—you don’t make it. It makes itself, spontaneously, without direction, and this is where the unlikelihoods come in.

The chances of a 1,055-sequence molecule like collagen spontaneously self-assembling are, frankly, nil. It just isn’t going to happen. To grasp what a long shot its existence is, visualize a standard Las Vegas slot machine but broadened greatly—to about ninety feet, to be precise—to accommodate 1,055 spinning wheels instead of the usual three or four, and with twenty symbols on each wheel (one for each common amino acid).1 How long would you have to pull the handle before all 1,055 symbols came up in the right order? Effectively forever. Even if you reduced the number of spinning wheels to two hundred, which is actually a more typical number of amino acids for a protein, the odds against all two hundred coming up in a prescribed sequence are 1 in 10260(that is a 1 followed by 260 zeroes). That in itself is a larger number than all the atoms in the universe.

Proteins, in short, are complex entities. Hemoglobin is only 146 amino acids long, a runt by protein standards, yet even it offers 10190possible amino acid combinations, which is why it took the Cambridge University chemist Max Perutz twenty-three years—a career, more or less—to unravel it. For random events to produce even a single protein would seem a stunning improbability—like a whirlwind spinning through a junkyard and leaving behind a fully assembled jumbo jet, in the colorful simile of the astronomer Fred Hoyle.

Yet we are talking about several hundred thousand types of protein, perhaps a million, each unique and each, as far as we know, vital to the maintenance of a sound and happy you. And it goes on from there. A protein to be of use must not only assemble amino acids in the right sequence, but then must engage in a kind of chemical origami and fold itself into a very specific shape. Even having achieved this structural complexity, a protein is no good to you if it can’t reproduce itself, and proteins can’t. For this you need DNA. DNA is a whiz at replicating—it can make a copy of itself in seconds—but can do virtually nothing else. So we have a paradoxical situation. Proteins can’t exist without DNA, and DNA has no purpose without proteins. Are we to assume then that they arose simultaneously with the purpose of supporting each other? If so: wow.

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
And there is more still. DNA, proteins, and the other components of life couldn’t prosper without some sort of membrane to contain them. No atom or molecule has ever achieved life independently. Pluck any atom from your body, and it is no more alive than is a grain of sand. It is only when they come together within the nurturing refuge of a cell that these diverse materials can take part in the amazing dance that we call life. Without the cell, they are nothing more than interesting chemicals. But without the chemicals, the cell has no purpose. As the physicist Paul Davies puts it, “If everything needs everything else, how did the community of molecules ever arise in the first place?” It is rather as if all the ingredients in your kitchen somehow got together and baked themselves into a cake—but a cake that could moreover divide when necessary to produce more cakes. It is little wonder that we call it the miracle of life. It is also little wonder that we have barely begun to understand it.

So what accounts for all this wondrous complexity? Well, one possibility is that perhaps it isn’t quite—not quite—so wondrous as at first it seems. Take those amazingly improbable proteins. The wonder we see in their assembly comes in assuming that they arrived on the scene fully formed. But what if the protein chains didn’t assemble all at once? What if, in the great slot machine of creation, some of the wheels could be held, as a gambler might hold a number of promising cherries? What if, in other words, proteins didn’t suddenly burst into being, but evolved .

Imagine if you took all the components that make up a human being—carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and so on—and put them in a container with some water, gave it a vigorous stir, and out stepped a completed person. That would be amazing. Well, that’s essentially what Hoyle and others (including many ardent creationists) argue when they suggest that proteins spontaneously formed all at once. They didn’t—they can’t have. As Richard Dawkins argues in The Blind Watchmaker, there must have been some kind of cumulative selection process that allowed amino acids to assemble in chunks. Perhaps two or three amino acids linked up for some simple purpose and then after a time bumped into some other similar small cluster and in so doing “discovered” some additional improvement.

Chemical reactions of the sort associated with life are actually something of a commonplace. It may be beyond us to cook them up in a lab, à la Stanley Miller and Harold Urey, but the universe does it readily enough. Lots of molecules in nature get together to form long chains called polymers. Sugars constantly assemble to form starches. Crystals can do a number of lifelike things—replicate, respond to environmental stimuli, take on a patterned complexity. They’ve never achieved life itself, of course, but they demonstrate repeatedly that complexity is a natural, spontaneous, entirely commonplace event. There may or may not be a great deal of life in the universe at large, but there is no shortage of ordered self-assembly, in everything from the transfixing symmetry of snowflakes to the comely rings of Saturn.

So powerful is this natural impulse to assemble that many scientists now believe that life may be more inevitable than we think—that it is, in the words of the Belgian biochemist and Nobel laureate Christian de Duve, “an obligatory manifestation of matter, bound to arise wherever conditions are appropriate.” De Duve thought it likely that such conditions would be encountered perhaps a million times in every galaxy.

Certainly there is nothing terribly exotic in the chemicals that animate us. If you wished to create another living object, whether a goldfish or a head of lettuce or a human being, you would need really only four principal elements, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen, plus small amounts of a few others, principally sulfur, phosphorus, calcium, and iron. Put these together in three dozen or so combinations to form some sugars, acids, and other basic compounds and you can build anything that lives. As Dawkins notes: “There is nothing special about the substances from which living things are made. Living things are collections of molecules, like everything else.”

The bottom line is that life is amazing and gratifying, perhaps even miraculous, but hardly impossible—as we repeatedly attest with our own modest existences. To be sure, many of the details of life’s beginnings remain pretty imponderable. Every scenario you have ever read concerning the conditions necessary for life involves water—from the “warm little pond” where Darwin supposed life began to the bubbling sea vents that are now the most popular candidates for life’s beginnings—but all this overlooks the fact that to turn monomers into polymers (which is to say, to begin to create proteins) involves what is known to biology as “dehydration linkages.” As one leading biology text puts it, with perhaps just a tiny hint of discomfort, “Researchers agree that such reactions would not have been energetically favorable in the primitive sea, or indeed in any aqueous medium, because of the mass action law.” It is a little like putting sugar in a glass of water and having it become a cube. It shouldn’t happen, but somehow in nature it does. The actual chemistry of all this is a little arcane for our purposes here, but it is enough to know that if you make monomers wet they don’t turn into polymers—except when creating life on Earth. How and why it happens then and not otherwise is one of biology’s great unanswered questions.

Ritard_

Banned
HSC
oh yes now that i have actually read more than the first paragraph i agree

i wonder what potential damage this has done to pmans solid argument

HSC
Uni Grad
Sad thing is some people would believe that (last sentence).

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
No, actually. What is logical is to include in scientific theory and thought what is quantifiable and provable. If you want to inject God into whatever science you please because you think it would be a nice idea or you don't actually understand it, then fine, but do not try and pass it off as scientifically valid because you won't get away with it.
I would love to see you try to work out how the sun undergoes fusion to form helium from hydrogen with a pointy stick and some rope.

I think you are discussing religion in the present day context, comparing their ideas of creation with current scientific views. You're comparing thousand-year old apples with constantly-updating oranges my friend. Religious explanations for creation, taken as literal explanations, are wrong today, but so was early science - Ptolemy's geocentric model, time as a constant etc. Looking at them both in a light that favours the oranges, no mystery which one's gonna win.

The only thing science doesn't really explain is whether there is a god/gods or not. By that I don't mean you think the idea of a god is stupid, I mean hard evidence.

The idea of religion nowadays is not to explain the exact workings of the world, but to provide moral guidance using metaphors and stuff like that. Creation story for Christianity presents humans falling from grace, representing the evil present in everyone, NOT that a talking snake told humanity to eat an apple just to piss off a big fella in the sky.

tl;dr yes religion is not science, both have different functions.

pman

Banned
HSC
yes, that is the extract I am using, yes bryson concludes differently but really, bryson doesn't understand what he is writing about, he writes what he is told...he is good with travel stuff but this really is not his fortay...all he is doing is translating jargon into laymans terms.....the point is, the numbers are still there and I reach a different conclusion to bryson

shuttle_bus5

HSC
The only thing science doesn't really explain is whether there is a god/gods or not. By that I don't mean you think the idea of a god is stupid, I mean hard evidence.
There will probably never be hard evidence for a god/gods. I can say that there is an invisible purple unicorn next to me. There is no way to know if the aforementioned invisible unicorn is real or not. But stating that it is real just because science can't disprove it is completely illogical and ridiculous.

The idea of religion nowadays is not to explain the exact workings of the world, but to provide moral guidance using metaphors and stuff like that.
We do not need religion for moral guidance.
Our morality is derived from society and the relative values and ideal's that society upholds. Once again it is completely illogical and ridiculous to use 2000 year old 'values and teachings' in the current world we live in.
Just look at the islamic faith. They still stone people to death.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
yes, that is the extract I am using, yes bryson concludes differently but really, bryson doesn't understand what he is writing about, he writes what he is told...he is good with travel stuff but this really is not his fortay...all he is doing is translating jargon into laymans terms.....the point is, the numbers are still there and I reach a different conclusion to bryson
Yes because you are much more educated and well respected in the academic community then bryson. Since you have 3 weeks of undergrand physics under your belt, why not start writing books? Since your so well educated and versed in science and all.

pman

Banned
HSC
There will probably never be hard evidence for a god/gods. I can say that there is an invisible purple unicorn next to me. There is no way to know if the aforementioned invisible unicorn is real or not. But stating that it is real just because science can't disprove it is completely illogical and ridiculous.
I can prove there isn't an invisible purple unicorn beside you...two reasons...
1. it is physically impossible to be both purple and invisible, they are mutually exclusive.
2. It's not insubstantial so i should be able to touch it

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Wow, I'm surprised the level of unintelligence on this forum, especially considering it's essentially an education site. Education obviously used loosely at this point.
Says the idiot.

So when you are pissed off vaugley at someone who may have made a mistake (I apologise, I'm not exactly a scientist)

Then why the fuck are you commenting on the validity of scientific theories. FUCK.

you obviously have no more intelligent things to say than "Fuck off" or "Fuck you". Fuck is obviously the extent of your vocabulary,

Oh wow look at me I'm taking the high ground blah de blah blah

so I"m going to bow out of this thread.
yeah go way you faggle

I"m fine with my faith and the hope I have, thankyou.

Your faith is retarded, and what is your hope?

That when you die there will be an afterlife and a god who doesn't realise that you're a shit cunt like everyone else in this world does?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)