I sold out. (1 Viewer)

Juliette

Hey Skandi, firstly weigh it up:
-which uni is the scholarhip and how much is it worth?
- how much do you need the money?
-Why do you really wanna do law? NB kini Mini not everyonme is doing law coz they wanna be a barrister, I think increasingly Law is being viewed as a generalist/background knowledge degree, that is how I am treating mine, as a springboard to other jobs
-Its a wholo lotta hard work, with your mark chances are youre willing to put in the effort

Now the chances:
If the scholarship is at the uni where you would ideally like to eventually study law, and their commerce faculty has a good reputation (consider what Good Universities Guide has to say) then I would recommend you take the scholarhsip, ace first year with a whole lotta hard work and a less-high UAI course candidature, for commerce single degree then transfer at end of first year (permission given 1/2 UAI, half Uni avg) and your chances are far higher that you will get in rather than hoping for the inflated UAI cut offs to drop!

My advice, take it or leave it, chances are it'll work out in the end.

I got a University of Sydney Scholarshi with distinction for Law/Econ (Social Sciences) and sold out on my original plan to go to UNSW - it happens to the best of us :)

HSC
i think that there is a general misconception that just because someone does combined law, they'll end up a lawyer. Law trains you in critical thinking, and refines your communication, expression and written skills, and this is what appeals to employesr in the corporate workplace. all of the managers in teh corporate all have a law degree. you'll be surprised to find how few people actually pursue the legal profession after doing a combined law degree.

anyway, that's what they told me at the open days, so they sure as hell be right, coz i don't want to be a lawyer!

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Im yet to meet a combined law person (i know about 10) who wants to actually become a lawyer as such!

COngrats on the s'ship julliette.
Anyone here get a rejection letter from usyd for the scnolarships? It virtually said in plain english that you had to be aschool captain or FROM A RURAL AREA to ahve any real chance...hmmmmmmm, maybe i should have used one of my relatives' addresses in Wollongong, that counts as rural! what a joke

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
Originally posted by utopian731
Im yet to meet a combined law person (i know about 10) who wants to actually become a lawyer as such!

COngrats on the s'ship julliette.
Anyone here get a rejection letter from usyd for the scnolarships? It virtually said in plain english that you had to be aschool captain or FROM A RURAL AREA to ahve any real chance...hmmmmmmm, maybe i should have used one of my relatives' addresses in Wollongong, that counts as rural! what a joke
i guess i was the exception to that case. as you know utopian i'm about as far as you can get both from school captain material and from a rural area :)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Yes I got rejected, simply said that I was one of many applicants. I live 600 km;s away from sydney, but I guess it is because I wasn't a school captain that I didn't get it. On my letter they didn't explain the reasons though that I was rejected or for that matter their criteria for selection.

I was rejected even before the UAI's came out :confused:

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate

beat there now wishing they'd accepted you. you kicked some butt.

!meeee!

Originally posted by Ultimate

i think all the rejection letters were sent at that time because that particular scholarship has nothing to do with uai as long as you get above 95 or 98

but there are still heaps of opportunities to apply for scholarships once you're actually at uni

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by !meeee!

but there are still heaps of opportunities to apply for scholarships once you're actually at uni
i agree ... im hoping and waiting for one at the end of first year ... any financial help would be helpful ...

jessika

law chicky
HSC
grrr, I found too late that I got one, if the course was listed as my first pref. and its not...and I definately got into my first pref....so now Im going to have to do a risky thing and try take a second round offer.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by !meeee!

i think all the rejection letters were sent at that time because that particular scholarship has nothing to do with uai as long as you get above 95 or 98

Yeah oh well there are always second year scholarships to apply for.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
The scholarship was never really a problem for me. Ive been sitting on one for 8 years now already (well, its over now obviously) which saved my parents over $100 000, so i should be happy enough :). I really didnt deserve one the way i worked anways...

yes, !me!, the north sure isnt exactly rural....you're lucky the scholarships werent means tested :)

ultimate, i didnt say that everyone who was rural that applied would get one....maybe your school gave you an average reference?

utopian731

Eudaimonian
another thing aboutt he scholarships which i found strange was the fact that if i got a much lower uai, ie 97.95 or 98.0, i would actually have had a great chance at a merit scholarship (like anyone else in my boat), but because my uai was higher than that, i was kinda in scholarhip no-man's land, pounished for gettin a higher uai

!meeee!

another thing aboutt he scholarships which i found strange was the fact that if i got a much lower uai, ie 97.95 or 98.0, i would actually have had a great chance at a merit scholarship (like anyone else in my boat), but because my uai was higher than that, i was kinda in scholarhip no-man's land, pounished for gettin a higher uai
i'm not sure if it works that way. i have a friend who got a merit one with a uai of 99.1

!meeee!

i thought they had restricted brackets?

Whats it with the just about the richest school in the state getting all these scholarhips eh :)
if it makes you feel any better, he went to a public school

as for the restricted brackets thing, it turns out they're not so restricted. even if you're over 98 you still qualify for both merit and distinction

nomza

HSC
Cool I found a law thread....

I just wanted to kinda hijack the thread and whinge that I have access of 5 five points, got a UAI of 95.6, and wanna try and get into arts/law....but I have no idea what my chances are (I know they're low, but I don't know how low) coz I don't know how many ppl that applied for access actually want or can even qualify to do law.....

so yes, that's my whinge.

!meeee!

Originally posted by nomza
Cool I found a law thread....

I just wanted to kinda hijack the thread and whinge that I have access of 5 five points, got a UAI of 95.6, and wanna try and get into arts/law....but I have no idea what my chances are (I know they're low, but I don't know how low) coz I don't know how many ppl that applied for access actually want or can even qualify to do law.....

so yes, that's my whinge.
it differs from year to year
because law has such a high uai cut-off and is relatively popular, last year they only let in ppl with uai's above 97.6 i think, even if they were on the access scheme
but since it changes each year it might be lower this year

Juliette

last year they only let in ppl with uai's above 97.6 i think, even if they were on the access scheme
Just confirming what !MEEEE! Has said here - I phoned and asked last year cut off, and it was 97.6. I wouldnt think that the demand to get into law has gotten any less so that may give some indication. Try giving the uni a call on 1300362006 and talk over your options, also ask to be transferred to the Access and Diversity unit (who handle Broadway scheme applications) and confirm this was last yrs cut-off. After all, if you know this is what you really want it would be worth transferring after first year or doing grad law.

On the other hand remember that your Access scheme application may have been accepted by other unis who may have a lower cutoff, and will consider you if you listed them on your prefs eg. UNSW (allocate a larger proportion of places 30/19 i think for access compared to USYD), UTS (more difficult criteria to be accepted thru access but possible) or Macquarie (you arent far offf their usual cutt off anyway.

Think of the positives, not the unknown - if you are willing to persevere to get a place in a law course then you know this is what you really want. If you arent willing to persevere you are saving yourself 5 years of hard slog at something that isnt perfect for you.

All the best with it anyway, if its any consolation you certainly arent alone in your predicament :)

nomza

HSC
Ah-ha!!!
I knew it was 97.6!!! I told this dude who works for comm+ec and he was so shocked and so we decided to not believe that....but yeah, that's pretty sucky. Does Broadway Scheme give you a flat 5 points off or do they have these kind of cut offs for access too or was that just UNSW (coz I only read it in this UNSW pamphlet)??

Nah, what I've decided is that if I don't get into law at Usyd, my third pref is crim at UNSW and that will satisfy me just as much as law and will obviously be not as hard work. But your advise has been both encouraging and inspiring....

I just don't like the waiting, I think I've developed a stomach ulcer (no joke).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)