t-i-m-m-y

HSC
ah... the thriving backyard drug lab does that count as a scholarship??:D

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by nomza
Ah-ha!!!
Does Broadway Scheme give you a flat 5 points off or do they have these kind of cut offs for access too or was that just UNSW (coz I only read it in this UNSW pamphlet)??
nah that have all this assessmnet critera...depending on how much you have been disadvantaged, problem is you have to prove it, ie. you have been seeing a counsellor who can verify it and all this crap.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by jessika

nah that have all this assessmnet critera...depending on how much you have been disadvantaged, problem is you have to prove it, ie. you have been seeing a counsellor who can verify it and all this crap.
my friend got a UAI of 94.65, but since he got access meaning he can get an extra 5 UAI points he has basically got a UAI of 99.65 which absolutely sux. I reckon access is rigged, no one should be entitled to that many UAI points, I reckon only 1 or 2 at the most!

Juliette

Let's dispell some myths floating around :

-UNSW Access sheme: allows 5% of spaces in each course for applicants thru the scheme. It doesnt add 5 UAI marks it simply means you are competing against others who applied thru the same scheme. lets say 100 ppl apply thru access for law, the majority of whom have gained a UAI of 98.5 +, then it will not allow entry to those with a lower score than that.

-USYD Access (Broadway) Scheme: Theoretically you can be offered a place in a course if your mark is less than 5 marks lower than the cut-off. However, again using the eg of law, competition to gain extrance in very high so although in theory you could get in with 94.5, in reality you compete against other Broadway applicants for the limited positions (hence last yr the lowest score admitted was 97.6)

-Criteria: the critieria for a majority of the Access 'disadvantages' are pretty steep (eg if your immediate family died, you were homeless, you were diagnosed with terminal illness or had a mental breakdown - all must be proven by doctors/psychiatrists certificates). Wouldn't you agree that people who have endured that and have still managed to achieve an impressive UAI deserve to be considered on the 'potential' mark they may have gained had they not experienced that disadvantage. Sure, some people rort the system (eg tax dodges to appear like they have financial disadvantage etc) but thats what this world is like, the majority of people deserve a little knee-up in life.

*The above is only my opinion. You have every right to disagree with this sentiment*

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Juliette

-Criteria: the critieria for a majority of the Access 'disadvantages' are pretty steep (eg if your immediate family died, you were homeless, you were diagnosed with terminal illness or had a mental breakdown - all must be proven by doctors/psychiatrists certificates). Wouldn't you agree that people who have endured that and have still managed to achieve an impressive UAI deserve to be considered on the 'potential' mark they may have gained had they not experienced that disadvantage. Sure, some people rort the system (eg tax dodges to appear like they have financial disadvantage etc) but thats what this world is like, the majority of people deserve a little knee-up in life.

*The above is only my opinion. You have every right to disagree with this sentiment*
well well lets hope that ppl won't be desperate enough to kill off their families.......:D

utopian731

Eudaimonian

-Criteria: the critieria for a majority of the Access 'disadvantages' are pretty steep (eg if your immediate family died, you were homeless, you were diagnosed with terminal illness or had a mental breakdown - all must be proven by doctors/psychiatrists certificates).
That's not necessarily the case. I havea close friend who has suffered a severe mental illness since year 8/9, missed acouple of years of school, still ended up with 97.20, even though in year 7 he was a shoe-in on99.95-100.00. He ended up getting all the various allowances in marking, then university entrance which was entirely deserved, but then there is also somene i know who broek their arm before stuvac and got the same allowances, just because they could supposedly not study with a broken arm. Thats not fair, the problem is there doesn't seem to be a degree of allowance, its either you have it or not.

nomza

HSC
Originally posted by jessika
I already have proved it....I have the access. But there aren't degrees or levels in the end, every access student gets their UAI ranked in order and they get placed in courses in order until the places are filled or whatever.

THANKYOU JULIETTE, you made so much sense.

Hey, breaking your arm is a MAJOR pain in the ass. Have you broken your arm?? I have, three times.....and the last time I broke it I found it extremely painful to write for long periods of time. Wheras I think saying it didn't help with studying is a bit much, I still think there is grounds, especially if it was still broken during the actual HSC....but I don't mean to take away from your other friend, sure they deserved it MORE, but what can you do?? It's the system.....

I personally filed because my parents separated twice over the period of yr 11 and 12 and we moved house twice during that time also.

There are just a wide range of reasons and ppl are effected in all sorts of different ways....I guess no one can know unless you're in their shoes. I know the frustration coz I know a girl that got access and she always took "sickies" off school -- and she lived a 10 minute walk from the school!!!!! But I always say to myself, I'm sure she has her reasons.....but then there are of course your ppl who rort it, but it's a lot of trouble to go through.....

I hate all this waiting...

Last edited:

jessika

law chicky
HSC

-UNSW Access sheme: allows 5% of spaces in each course for applicants thru the scheme. It doesnt add 5 UAI marks it simply means you are competing against others who applied thru the same scheme. lets say 100 ppl apply thru access for law, the majority of whom have gained a UAI of 98.5 +, then it will not allow entry to those with a lower score than that.

-USYD Access (Broadway) Scheme: Theoretically you can be offered a place in a course if your mark is less than 5 marks lower than the cut-off. However, again using the eg of law, competition to gain extrance in very high so although in theory you could get in with 94.5, in reality you compete against other Broadway applicants for the limited positions (hence last yr the lowest score admitted was 97.6)

totally agree with you on that.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by utopian731

That's not necessarily the case. I havea close friend who has suffered a severe mental illness since year 8/9, missed acouple of years of school, still ended up with 97.20, even though in year 7 he was a shoe-in on99.95-100.00. He ended up getting all the various allowances in marking, then university entrance which was entirely deserved, but then there is also somene i know who broek their arm before stuvac and got the same allowances, just because they could supposedly not study with a broken arm. Thats not fair, the problem is there doesn't seem to be a degree of allowance, its either you have it or not.
um, I thought they were only meant to accept it if it happened in year 11 and 12.

Juliette

um, I thought they were only meant to accept it if it happened in year 11 and 12.
To be eligible for Access scheme it must be a "significant, long-term disadvantage in during the HSC "(I presume year 11 and /only year 12). There are some provisions for these incidents just before exams but they are usually under misadventure, not thru the access scheme. misadventure is considered at the time of marking, not to do with uni entry.

SkAnDi

HSC
Thanks for the support guys.

I had a big think last night (it was pretty dead, and i was just listening to music, and i think i made the right choice), and coming fresh out of uni with an extra $60k or so isn't too bad! Of course, i could just blow it all every year on a holiday and moving out of home. But at least not i have the option to do that.

I hope that you're all happy with the choices that you made concerning preferences and uni choices and stuff. I was freaking out for ages after i put mine in.. and i had to jet off to Vietnam like the morning after (i'm in vietnam now.. the net is suprisingly fast because only my sis and I are in the net cafe :D)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by nomza

Hey, breaking your arm is a MAJOR pain in the ass. Have you broken your arm?? I have, three times.....and the last time I broke it I found it extremely painful to write for long periods of time. Wheras I think saying it didn't help with studying is a bit much, I still think there is grounds, especially if it was still broken during the actual HSC....but I don't mean to take away from your other friend, sure they deserved it MORE, but what can you do?? It's the system.....

I didnt say that breaking your arm isnt a major pain the ass. Im not really referring to access that much here, maiunly the exceptions/support schemes under BOS and adjusting the UAI. Yeh, it is the system, but that doesnt make it right. Out of respect for my friend I won't go through the details but his experience during the last four years has been absolutely horrific and worse than breaking an arm could ever be. The lack of different levels is a major weakness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)