I need some help with source analysis (1 Viewer)

yttrious

Ok well with the half-yearlies coming up i've gotta do a section on WW1, which is constructed as a source analysis. I know most of the WW1 course, but im lacking in being able to analyse sources etc. Does anyone have some hints and tips left over from past years? I'm not talking one liner's here, i need to find some good extensive notes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
You'll never find notes of sources because you never know what they will give you in an exam. The main things to remember are content, audience, origin and context. If you highlight them, you should be able to use them to answer a question.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Hate to use a oneliner then, but we use TOMACRUP Type, Origin, Motive, Audience, Content, Reliability, Usefulness, Purpose. Does wonderfully for the reliability/usefulness questions, and really, its very easy. Don't have to do every point seperately, they sometimes merge.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
We use MARCO - Motive, Audience, Reliablity, Content and Origin - though i like that one Josie posted.

Basically with sources you have to be able to identfy everything with them but you really have to look at the question adn do what it says - with ours they maily say 'how useful is ...." or 'examine the accuracy..." (using a range of sources) or "compare souce A to B and come to a conculsion about..."

Ultimatly Best thing to do for sources is practice - there are numerous books out there that have sources on WWI and your text book dept should have some practice the MARCO or whatever method. Get old HSC papers and do the sources and get ur teacher to mark them. That should help

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
my friends use CRAPUMO (uhh and dont ask me what it stands for cos i cant remember it all..probably not a good idea to use these acronym i guess :D). i dont follow formulas like that, making sure that its drilled into your head is good enough i think ( audience, origin, motive, perspective, purpose, reliability, motive...i think i used the "P" twice!!) meh!

Edit: hehe i said "motive" twice..

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I use "RUN CAMPO"

Reliability, Usefullness, Content, Audience, Motive, Perspective and Origin.

Essentially, the same as Josie's (which is our teacher's version) except mine makes more sense and you can yell it out real loud and people think you're cheering for a Rugby player or something...

KarmaKitten

HSC
heh im starting to like sources now, i keep getting better at it. first of all ask your teacher what it is you're doing wrong, then concentrate on the question you always get wrong
is it the a) b) or c) bit? then make sure you always answer the questions and analyse a bit of the sources, dont just retell the sources

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Didn't think you knew anything about Rugby, Ziff
And yes, Wilso does come up with useful things sometimes.

life4_rent

lol.. im a bit late.. my half yearlies are coming up to, hav i studied? nooooope!

neway, our teacher taught us PRU.

Perspective
Reliability
Usefulness

PERSPECTIVE
-motive/purpose
-perspective.. duh
-composer eg. military general etc

RELIABILITY
-bias
-time period
-use 'English' terms like "uses emotive language, therefore making it bias.. blah blah blah"

USEFULNESS
*** A SOURCE CAN BE UNRELIABLE, BUT USEFUL ***
-assess its usefulness by taking into account 'reliablity' and 'perspective'

hope that helps dearz =) gud luck for ur exams! *hugz*

...meanwhile, i beta start studying myself *lookz around sheepishly*

-maggie xox

stressful times

we do COCTBAMPST
Content
Origin
Context
Type
Bias
Audience
Motive
Perspective
Status
Tone

it pretty well covers everything

life4_rent

lol.. kewliez!!! *waves thumbs around*

... sorry, am a bit delerious.. hav just spectacularly faild 3u maths asssessment.. THANKFULLY not the half yearly.. didnt think 27% was possible! *criez*

PRU ALL THE WAY..

jez remember, use PRU for each source.. bt i think all the other acronyms are more concise than mine.. lol.. =)

TRUZ

yeeeh kool! i been trying to look for sumtin like dis for a while...thnx josie!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)