I need some help with New Kingdom Egypt! (1 Viewer)

samuel slack

HSC
Yep, mention the army campaigns... but another important part of Egyptian "imperialism" is the administration of the empire, which was introduced by Thut III- the Viceroys and their deputies in Nubia (One for Kush and one for the other place, whats it called again pwar?)... as well as the ways that Thut kept Syria-Palestine in line. Also make sure that whenever you talk about SP mention that Redford says that it was under Egypt's "sphere of influence", and that it was "a welter of jockeying states". That basically sums up the situation in SP. That bit of evidence is just awesome. :)

historykidd

HSC
samuel slack said:
Yep, mention the army campaigns... but another important part of Egyptian "imperialism" is the administration of the empire, which was introduced by Thut III- the Viceroys and their deputies in Nubia (One for Kush and one for the other place, whats it called again pwar?)... as well as the ways that Thut kept Syria-Palestine in line. Also make sure that whenever you talk about SP mention that Redford says that it was under Egypt's "sphere of influence", and that it was "a welter of jockeying states". That basically sums up the situation in SP. That bit of evidence is just awesome. :)
I think the other state was known as Wawat (?) or something of like. I know this seems like a very important dot-point but I wouldn't stress too much fishy, it was the 2006 question and although knowledge is very important, you want to maximize your knowledge on other more potentially testable dotpoints.

fishy89sg

HSC
historykidd said:
I know this seems like a very important dot-point but I wouldn't stress too much fishy, it was the 2006 question
nature of egyptian imerpialism wasnt last yr... was it

unless youre tlkin about somethin else lolz :D

historykidd

HSC
fishy89sg said:
nature of egyptian imerpialism wasnt last yr... was it

unless youre tlkin about somethin else lolz :D
Yeah it wasn't specifically asked but i think the question was "To what extent did Egypt establish an empire during this period" which is pretty much assessing the nature of Egyptian Imperialism dotpoint I guess.

fishy89sg

HSC
i thought it might of been the dot point "establishment of the 'empire'"

bento

HSC
samuel slack said:
First- define imperialism as whatever you want (make sure it makes sense)

Second- Discuss the nature of Egyptian imperialism. e.g- the fact that the concept of an empire didn't exist during the time of Egypt, and therefore did not operate as a modern "empire" might- also discuss the difference in imperialism in the north and the south. Syria-Palestine- garrisons, vassal princes, hostages, no permanent settlements etc. Nubia- colonies, continued residence here, temples and forts like those at Buhen, etc.

Look, dont worry about going into detail about the contested nature of egyptian imperialism. Just make sure you make the point that IT IS CONTESTED at the start of your essay, and also say that the concept of an empire did not exist during the time of egypt, so it does not conform to the modern characteristics of an empire. All you have to do is argue your point using evidence and essay structure, dont get too caught up in worrying about whether what you're saying is correct.
Hallelujah

X

xeuyrawp

bento said:
Hallelujah
Hahah.

Selective quoting, there? You seemed to miss a few paragraphs, and that he agreed with what I said. ;)

Anyways, I have a massive exam on a few hieroglyphic texts tomorrow. Wish me luck. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

haha, it's okay...

I brought a semi-frozen bottle of water. :D

I remember sitting my HSC ancient history exam in the second hottest day of 2004. =/

fishy89sg

HSC
holy crap... howd u go?

and can i show u some pompeii+herculaneum questions i did based on random Qs from the syllabus lol

X

xeuyrawp

fishy89sg said:
holy crap... howd u go?
Lost half a mark out of 10. Pah. Forgot to put in a passive. :p

and can i show u some pompeii+herculaneum questions i did based on random Qs from the syllabus lol
Of course, post them up in the core forum.

I haven't studied it since year 11 though, so I personally won't be able to help you. :(

Adam.Meads

HSC
PwarYuex said:
You have to be careful of not falling into the imperialist model trap. Essentially, whether Egypt was an imperialist power or simply depicted itself as such is an ongoing debate.

Don't go into the exam and talk about Egypt's imperialism, when there's a distinct possibility that they weren't imperialistic. I wrote an essay about this if anyone's interested, it's to do with the Middle Kingdom, though.
I'm very interested ... Where can I find it?

I'm much the same with regards to Egyptian Imperialism, I have to say thats my weakest point of the entire Ancient History course.

Fingers crossed that there is nothing on it in the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)