I need some advice on music...... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, I just wanted some peoples opinions on what I should do in this situation.
See, I want to study music at uni after I am finished school. (I'm in yr 11 now, doing pathways, so i will finish in 2009).
My main instrument is the piano. I've been playing ever since I was little and should have my AmusA cert. by year 12.
I also play the classical guitar, not quite as far advanced as the piano, doing 4th grade this year, should have 6-7th grade by the end of year 12, and doing AMEB theroy exams.
Thing is, I am so sick of the classical side of things and found that I absolutly LOVE jazz. (Bass guitar). I have had no formal training on the bass but I just love it.
So, if I want to study music after school, will I really need these AMEB certificates to eventually become a music teacher in a school? I suppose it depends on what course I take, hey. I was looking into the jazz course, but then again, all that classical training would go to waste.
PLEASE someone leave a comment and suggest something for me, wether I should go down the jazz side of things or not:confused:

steban

violin dude
HSC
its always best to do something your interested in instead of doing something your not very keen on.

im in a similar position, iv played piano liek all my life, however i picked up violin and not i love that soo much that piano is like bleh. however i dont want to feel like all those years iv spent on piano will be wasted if i dropped it, hence i still learn and oneday i could just be a private teacher, and take on violin as a more serious instrument and play professionally.

As for being a music teacher, i dont think you need AMEB certificates, becuase you dont need them to get into the music course at uni, and its a uni degree that you need to be a teacher.

Theres always the Bachelor of music (jazz) course you can take from the con. im not sure of any other uni and their courses.

so yeah, do what you want to do, and you will never put classical training to waste, you can always apply the technical skills or musical understanding of music into jazz.

champo14

HSC
breanna15101990 said:
Hey guys, I just wanted some peoples opinions on what I should do in this situation.
See, I want to study music at uni after I am finished school. (I'm in yr 11 now, doing pathways, so i will finish in 2009).
My main instrument is the piano. I've been playing ever since I was little and should have my AmusA cert. by year 12.
I also play the classical guitar, not quite as far advanced as the piano, doing 4th grade this year, should have 6-7th grade by the end of year 12, and doing AMEB theroy exams.
Thing is, I am so sick of the classical side of things and found that I absolutly LOVE jazz. (Bass guitar). I have had no formal training on the bass but I just love it.
So, if I want to study music after school, will I really need these AMEB certificates to eventually become a music teacher in a school? I suppose it depends on what course I take, hey. I was looking into the jazz course, but then again, all that classical training would go to waste.
PLEASE someone leave a comment and suggest something for me, wether I should go down the jazz side of things or not:confused:
Nothing is wasted in jazz! No seriously, if you do the jazz course, I doubt you will regret it. Learning jazz properly isn't as simple as many think, and classical training will always assist you in whatever musical style you decide to venture.

Why not try learning jazz piano? You sound like you have the technical skills. But at any rate you need to be able to play piano for the jazz course (I think classical also).

To answer your question: No, you won't ever need those AMEB exams for anything, really. Entry to the CON is on audition and once you get your degree then that's what you need to become a teacher. If teaching is what you love then jazz will suit you fine (you can do combined education with jazz course also).

And besides, learning double bass will always get you gigs. If I were going to learn another instument it would/will/is bass.

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
I agree with what's been said so far...

What I would have to say though, is if you're bored of the Classical side of things, you might want to try pushing yourself or playing pieces you like...

I got bored of Classical Clarinet for a while... but then I found I really liked all the Modern Clarinet pieces, so i began playing those... and it really helped...

If it's the practice that bores you, I'd say Jazz practice is just as tedious, if not more...

My friend Jono is a brilliant Jazz pianist... ridiculously good... but it consumes him, it takes ALL his time...

He practices exercises for 2 hrs a day, scale for 1 hr and he improvises with different restrictions for another hour or two...

He's starting to get pretty lonely playing by himself. If you're going to play Jazz, you want to get yourself into a combo and learn from people.

Also the problem with Bass is that Jazz bass playing can get pretty repetitive if you don't find the right groups to play with, which is hard...

But yea, go for it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)