I just realized something about Physics Textbooks (1 Viewer)

helper

HSC
N/A
Current textbooks were written for the pre-2003 HSC. They still have the 20% that was cut out for this year.

forsaken_99

Surfing books are my no.1 study material.

ALL dot points are covered, in the theory part or in the questions which give detailed answers.

Our main text (Contexts 2) doesn't get used much because it smells.

memoirs_of_fish

Originally posted by Rahul
yes, waffle is good but, esp jacaranda waffle!
:chainsaw:

i'm sorry but i plainly disagree. jacaranda is just too much. the book costs about $60, maybe its the good quality paper.... i dunt know.......but i've noticed lots of misprints especially with some of the answers.

but here's an example of some jacaranda waffle that is obviously not pertinent to the physics course wateosever, i quote:

" At 11:45am the automatic safety rod which had been set at too low a level, was triggered. FERMI CALLED A BREAK FOR LUNCH AND THE PROCESS WAS RESUMED AT 2:00PM."

dude.......that's prime jacaranda waffle. honestly! how will Fermi having lunch help me in the HSC exam?

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
i think that some textbooks go overboard and it can be an information overload from the perspective that at the end of the year we have to do a 3 hour test, but like I think the aim of the course is to actually learn about physics and i guess you could get through just knowing the bare minimum (like not understanding the concepts just knowing a generic answer to give to each question) but then this would not be achieveing what the course is aiming to achieve.

Its usually best to understand a wider variety of concepts rather than just knowing the bare minimum that can be tested, even from the perspective that it makes the course easier to understand while your doing it. It just means that textbooks are often hard to study from when you want to do quick and precise revision (which is why summaries are good)

Rahul

Dead Member
lol, so you think the hsc questions will be x=23.5, a=7, c=5. sub into this equation...

no! its getting you to practice scenario style questions which are often asked in the hsc.

having said that, i dont believe doing questions from the text is a great idea. imo, its best to make a great set of notes and do past papers. jacaranda is the best in helping to make that set of notes.

and anyway, that isnt waffle, waffle is extra info, in chucks:p

memoirs_of_fish

dude....

point being jacaranda could potentially slim down alot. it's heavy to carry and i'm sure a good portion of it is irrelevant. i can see what you're trying to say.......but i guess wat works for some doesn't work for others.

lolz.......by the way i am after all failing physics...hehehhe

Viper

HSC
The "HSC Study Pack" from Warringal Publications has a seperate book for each module. Each book only consists of <50 pages. It is really clear and succinct. Im glad ive had access to it.

Cheers

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
the point of textbooks is that they do have a lot of info, some which u won't necessarily need. It's basically up to you to read it, then pick out the important bits and do up ur own notes.

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
the point of textbooks is that they do have a lot of info, some which u won't necessarily need. It's basically up to you to read it, then pick out the important bits and do up ur own notes.
Yes but Jacaranda is just excessive. Come on, they're training us to do the HSC, not to become actual Physicists.

Bannanafish

HSC
Yes but Jacaranda is just excessive. Come on, they're training us to do the HSC, not to become actual Physicists.
that's exactly why so many people consider it waffle
too many people do physics for the uai and not for the actual knowledge
i mean seriously what's the point in doing physics just for marks? just wasting time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)