I just cannnn't write fast enough (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
Is anyone else finding their in the same boat...
I'm left handed and have naturally preety messy handwriting, I've recently started writing out english essays for the trials under exam conditions and it just sux I really really can't write more then 4 1/2 - 5 pages in 40 mins even when i really try to speed write.
I've got the information and I'm going to continue to do as many essays as I can for English before the HSC, but I feel like I'm doomed from ever getting a good mark becausing of board of studies idea of making English a speed writing contest.

HSC
N/A
Practice makes perfect, sweetheart. My writing speed increased hugely over the HSC - granted it got pretty messy (particularly past the first two pages) but I did get faster too! :)

Additionally, quality is better than quanitity. Even an "non-speed writer" could get a band six if the response was succient.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Do you do little things like

The postmodern reading of "In The Skin of a Lion" (ITSOAL) is...

and then later write ITSOAL. Cuz I believe (from past hsc english markers) that's purely acceptable.

Also when you familiarise yourself with writing essays in the required amount of time, you will notice you will get faster because you know exactly what to say - your intro to journeys are usually relatively the same, or your comparison between Rosencrantz and Hamlet is always mentioned the same way.

It just takes practice :)

passion89

HSC
As glitterfairy said, practice is the only way to go. Time yourself in 40 min sessions while writing essays requiring multiple texts. Set some time out for yourself every week to practice writing under exam conditions and your speed should improve.

Tim035

HSC
Yeah hopefully once I really have my essays lodged well in my brain, I'll become more succicent and aware of what I need to talk about within the 40 minute time frame.
Practice, practice, practice I shall...

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
can't believe ur practicing exams already

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
i know ppl who during their hsc had no idea how to write fast/cursive... now these people reach 6+ pages. how, you ask? "Practise Practise Practise" - it's never over. don't ever give up.

practising exam writing is my archnemisis. :p

katy-g

HSC
i print.. but i have an exam scroll as well. which is kinda like print and cursive when i want...

For my last exam i wrote 7 pages in 40 mins for an essay... so that was ok. but i get what u mean... i grip my pen wrong so im forced to crack my knuckles every 10mins or so.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
didn't u ever use one of those triangular rubber things that slides nicely around ur pencil/pen when you were in like year 1? lol....

AbbeyBrown

HSC
ARgh yes I have very messy writing so when I'm forced to write fast..... I worry if the examiners will be able to read it and I keep getting told your messy writing will put the examiner in a bad mood and if they can't read it well they won't mark it. Guess I have to start practicing :(

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Same problem, except i can write fast but with messy writing. Got shitted on by teachers throughout all high school. I survived.

zacco

HSC
hey i have the same prbolem haha
but its quality not quantity every teacher ive spoken to says u only need bout 4 pages to still get full marks if its good stuff

horsegal

HSC
I know exactly what your talking about... I had the same problem
But then I discovered that I have short thumbs (makes writing super painful and reeeeaaaaaaaally slooooooowwwwww) and that I could use a computer for HSC :)
I know its a bit late for you, so i'm going to repeat what everyone else said... practice as much as humanly possible. I have to practice heaps to get my typing speed up fast enought to do essays and I still can't get them very long either, so I totally understand

JUST DON'T GIVE UP!!!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i used to be quite slow, and yeah practice is really the only way to get better. i used to only manage 3 a4 pages in 40 mins, now its about 5 to 6. also (this is what i do to write faster) don't worry about being neat. just legible. when i write really fast it looks a little like arabic, especially words with a lot of m's and i's - i kinda skim over them. but as long as the words are still easily read, dw bout neatness, just get it down.

Tim035

HSC
Yewww Just scraped in 7 pages on my King Lear in class assessment essay, I've been writing out my esays but didn't feel personally my writing was getting any faster.. Obviously is though so I'm stoked:D

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
practice, set urself time and practise like crap...
i could barely write 4 pages in 40 mins b4... now i can write 8-9 pages in 60 mins... with legible handwriting too...
it kills. but it works.

karnoganguli

HSC
Tim035 said:
Is anyone else finding their in the same boat...
I'm left handed and have naturally preety messy handwriting, I've recently started writing out english essays for the trials under exam conditions and it just sux I really really can't write more then 4 1/2 - 5 pages in 40 mins even when i really try to speed write.
We've got the exact same problem (i'm left handed too). One way to improve is to practice. I started off with just three pages and a half in 40 min to nearly 5 pages. Remember, you got write well, its not all about quantity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)