I hate music grades (1 Viewer)

FrankUses

HSC
Is it possible to learn an instrument without going through the whole grade 1-8 thing? I plan to learn saxophone (alto) but I just get really put off by the knowledge and other stuff you have to do to pass the test. (I played flute before) Would it be weird to ask a teacher to just teach you music and how to play the sax?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
No, that would be fine..

Usuallly your tutor/teacher will ask and reccommend you take grades

madharris

HSC
N/A
I know quite a few people who learn an instrument without going through the 'grades'
I myself have done Cmus on saxophone and Amus piano but that's because I enjoyed it. A few of my friends who play saxophone just play sax for the enjoy meant. So they play jazz stuff, learn impro, etc (of course this is doable without learning, but it makes learning an instrument more fun in a way).

Soooo no, it would not be weird. Maybe at first you could start off witht he grades without doing exams, but once you get better you can go onto a more variety of things?

(sorry if what i'm saying is not making much sense, but you know what i mean [hopefully])

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, that would be fine..

Usuallly your tutor/teacher will ask and reccommend you take grades
Perhaps.

But if you don't want to, you can learn out of pure enjoyment.

HSC
Yeah that's fine, not everyone does grades, whatever works for you. I stopped examinations after 7th grade for piano, and I don't do grades at all for clarinet.

FrankUses

HSC
Thx guys :D I'll get started as soon as I get over my HSC maths course

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
You by no means need to do grades. But there are some cool alternatives. I did some grades in Sax for Leisure (I think this is what it's called?), which instead of being stressful and 'hardcore' like most grading examinations are, allowed me to play jazz pieces, and do improv stuff, and only very few scales. They're equivalent in hardness to normal grades, but have much more flexibility in the types of pieces you can choose to play, and far less pressure.

Also, the sax is amazing.

anna-purna

HSC
im not sure what level you are at, but i know that if you achieve an A+ for 8th grade ameb you get 2-3 atar points depending on the uni :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)