i hate king lear (1 Viewer)

skankit

im so screwed for king lear

i dont know any productions, like by production per say. i know 2 readings well and about 2 or 3 examples from productions for each, is this enough? or do i actually need to know the production better and use the reading to compliment it? i kidna figured i could get away with just writing about the readings and occaisionaly mentioning a production....... heeeeeeelp

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
uve confused me. whats the difference between knowing readings and how they fit with different productions and knowing different productions and the readings that go with them. arent they the same thing, just expressed backwards?
anyway, its important to know a couple of productions and the different ways that they can be interpreted. ie. Eyre's production: humanist, domestic, freudian.
dont know if that helped, but meh.

classics_chic

HSC
If you know productions, you don't need to know readings. If you know readings, you don't need to know productions.

The syllabus says that in this case you can do either readings (looking at the values of the play through the text, adapting it to a certain ideal e.g. feminism, and then talking v v briefly about your own idea of how the production you make up would look like to reflect those values), or productions (study some productions of King Lear, look at the text, look at the way the production reflects certain values, and identify those values and how they're reflected through the production).

I hated King Lear at first, too. But it grows on you. And also, when you're finished, you'll feel a great achievement having studied it.

It is hard, but everyone's struggling with you.

Best of luck! :)

skankit

thanks heaps!!! i was starting to get workd up about not knowing produtcions :) youve saved my life!!!!

incredible

Hey

Hey,
When you do productions, determine what Reading it is adopting, and study these readings with quotes from the actual text so you can compare it with the text if they ask, but more importantly so that your readings allign with the productions. What is the point of doing a reading if you dont have a production that has demonstrated it in some way???
Reading are like frames in art, the the scope from which the composer has interpreted the text. Focus on productions and the readings they have employed

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
totally agree. its not enough to just know a reading or a production, uve got to know both coz the aim is to show how u get that reading form the production. otherwise we'd all just study critics of king lear...and make it very boring.

emily_13

HSC
studying king lear is like getting ur fingernails ripped out oone by one :mad:

Captain pi

HSC
The way the course treats King Lear (as if it is only significant in production) is appalling.

Shakespeare, on the other hand, would be cool - if we only studied him.

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
emily_13 said:
we had to listen to it on a crappy tap recording while we read it... i take you fingernails one by one and raise you fingernails on a blackboard.

hottie_mira

emily_13 said:
hahaha i agree.. king lear sux.. and my teacher luvs it, she really gets into it wen we read it in class and she gives evry1 parts.. i try to make it a bit more amusing by givin the charecters accents and stuf and i get in truble!! :(

Angel45

HSC
Advice:

Make sure u look at the context of these 'readings'... don't neglect!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
Angel45 said:
Advice:

Make sure u look at the context of these 'readings'... don't neglect!
true: but you also need to be able to say how they can fit in with our context - last year they decided to move the focus onto the modnr context and modern responder's instead of simply the context of the director's

richz

i_am_random said:
yea king lear suxs i hate doing shakespare's work all the time

but he's still a great writer
lol, if u hate doing his work how can u still think his a great writer :rolleyes:

hottie_mira

hey i watched a representation of king lear today by richard eyre. its like a minimalist view on lear...oh man it was soooooo funny yae, especially the fool, he was hilarious. u guys shuld watch it, its great and really represents the charecters well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)