I got bad for ext 1 maths. can I still get 99 (1 Viewer)

jinglebells1464646

HSC
N/A
so my school is ranked in the 10s to mid 20s, I got 75% for my first ext 1 maths internal, the average was 60%
but my ext 2 math was 88% and average was 78% and highest was about 94%
my chemistry was 90%, average was 70-ish%
my English was 18/20 (average unknown) and highest was 20/20 and my school is pretty good at english

Can I still have a chance to get 99+atar and how much would I have to improve??

liamkk112

HSC
u have a big chance, those marks + top school are really good. you're above average in pretty much every subject, chances are that ur ext 1 task was pretty difficult (u can send it if u want the difficulty gauged) so 75% is a pretty good mark. past that u are above the average, meaning u are supposedly highly ranked, which is more important than ur actual marks since the final hsc examinations will reward those at the top ranks and pretty much ignore their actual raw internal marks (assuming the cohort achieves highly in the final exam, which as ur going to a good school is pretty likely).

if u want 99+ atar, u essentially want to get band 6 in every subject. right now u are pretty firmly on track for that, just work on improving ur ext 1 mark and keep up the good work in ur other subjects, and u should be well off

jinglebells1464646

HSC
N/A
u have a big chance, those marks + top school are really good. you're above average in pretty much every subject, chances are that ur ext 1 task was pretty difficult (u can send it if u want the difficulty gauged) so 75% is a pretty good mark. past that u are above the average, meaning u are supposedly highly ranked, which is more important than ur actual marks since the final hsc examinations will reward those at the top ranks and pretty much ignore their actual raw internal marks (assuming the cohort achieves highly in the final exam, which as ur going to a good school is pretty likely).

if u want 99+ atar, u essentially want to get band 6 in every subject. right now u are pretty firmly on track for that, just work on improving ur ext 1 mark and keep up the good work in ur other subjects, and u should be well off
but based on your results as you put it under, shouldn't you have classified for a 99+?

liamkk112

HSC
but based on your results as you put it under, shouldn't you have classified for a 99+?
i didn't get band 6 for english standard, plus every subject combo is different due to scaling so u cant just say b6 -> 99, mb as my comment was more of a suggested range than a fact. eg some humanities subjects require that u get a high band 6 to get 99+. but in general, aiming for band 6 is basically the minimum for a 99+, again depending on the subjects u are taking (and when i mean band 6, i mean 90+ RAW MARK, not aligned. every subject differs, but sometimes a mark of 80 can be aligned to a mark of 90 aka u got a band 6, but the atar contribution from this subject is only ~95. however achieving 90 raw usually corresponds to a 99+ atar contribution)

also i got 98.95 which is basically 99+ lol

carrotsss

HSC
i didn't get band 6 for english standard, plus every subject combo is different due to scaling so u cant just say b6 -> 99, mb as my comment was more of a suggested range than a fact. eg some humanities subjects require that u get a high band 6 to get 99+. but in general, aiming for band 6 is basically the minimum for a 99+, again depending on the subjects u are taking (and when i mean band 6, i mean 90+ RAW MARK, not aligned. every subject differs, but sometimes a mark of 80 can be aligned to a mark of 90 aka u got a band 6, but the atar contribution from this subject is only ~95. however achieving 90 raw usually corresponds to a 99+ atar contribution)

also i got 98.95 which is basically 99+ lol
in stuff like ext1/2 maths you can get a fair bit below 90 raw and still have it be a 99 atar equivalent, like in 2022 an 83 aligned mark (≈54 raw) was a 99 ATAR equivalent in ext 2. for most normal subjects though yeah you’ll want to aim around 90 raw for a 99 atar (with higher marks required in some easier subjects)

liamkk112

HSC
in stuff like ext1/2 maths you can get a fair bit below 90 raw and still have it be a 99 atar equivalent, like in 2022 an 83 aligned mark (≈54 raw) was a 99 ATAR equivalent in ext 2. for most normal subjects though yeah you’ll want to aim around 90 raw for a 99 atar (with higher marks required in some easier subjects)
yeah, ext1/2 maths feels like an exception to the rule lol. tbh the subject bias is crazy, like i would absolutely flunk the humanities subjects, yet people aren't rewarded for taking them as much as if they took maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)