I go a VERY competitive school. So, does that place me at a disadvantage for ranks? (1 Viewer)

Dongle

HSC
I'm doing accelerated SDD this year, and I'm currently 3rd-6th in a class of 14. I go to James Ruse, so it's very hard to beat some of my rivals. Will I be disadvantage compared to other schools in which I could easily come much higher?

By the way, how do they scale internal HSC marks between schools? Some schools have easier tests and some have harder ones....

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Not really, because the standard is much higher at Ruse than it would be at other schools. So, as long as the people above you do well in the HSC exams, and you do well as well, you shouldn't be disadvantaged.

As for your second question, refer to this page for more information :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Re: I go a VERY competitive school. So, does that place me at a disadvantage for rank

Firstly, you might want to have a read of my thread on the moderation of assessment marks located in the Technical Arcana.

That thread outlines and provides examples of how the Board of Studies takes into account the difficulty of tasks administered by every school to ensure all students are fairly treated (Or rather as fair as it can be).

In your case being in a highly acedemic school, the fact that those ranked above you are doing better than you means they probably will be doing just as well in the final HSC exam.

Hypothetically if you were ranked 3rd, you will receive approximately the 3rd highest HSC exam mark in your class as your moderated assessment mark, which lets pretend is the mark you got in the final exam which may be 92.

If you were in a poorly acedemic school and you were ranked first, you will receive the highest HSC exam mark as your moderated assessment mark. So if you did your best and got 92, you will still be left with a moderated assessment mark of 92 showing there isn't really much of a difference on what school you attend.

It's mostly a feeling that you are surrounded by high acedemic students that you feel you aren't doing very well, but when comparing state-wise which is what the HSC does, you might find you are doing extremely well.

So yeah, I suggest you read the thread I mentioned at the start of this post to have a thorough understanding of the processes involved and you will realise it is a very fair system.

sophie_dybs

Elite!
HSC
Ruse? where is that? haha im so country!

i live in good old maitland and go to grossmann (public non elective used to be maitland girls high)

they arent too harsh on marking for assessments- i would say realistic

coz most of the teachers at my school are HSC markers (especially in chemistry, english, bio and entertainment) they are able to mark to the standards of HSC marking... which is good...

they tend to scale out the HSC exam mark to your assessment mark...

when my older bro went through in chemistry he got 82 assessment and got 90 in the exam which was also his final mark...

if your school is hard on u its becoz they want to prepare u well for HSC... dont fret too much!

sophie_dybs

Elite!
HSC
oh i see....

i think i have heard of it... my school usually comes first in the region and in the top 100 in the state which is good for a non selective!

out of 100 students about 15 got above 90...

the only elective schools up here are merewether, HSPA (which i got into but didnt want to travel) and Hunter Sports...

either way if ur school is competeive but always does extremely well there shouldnt be a problem in ranks and stuff!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)