• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I feel ill informed :/ (1 Viewer)

ashleejade09

HSC
I think it is just me, but I don't feel prepared for the HSC or university at all, I have no idea how uni works, what we do, how to pick courses and such! I'm completing my HSC/ATAR in 2010 but afterwards I want to do Journalism or Psychology in MELBOURNE.

A few questions...

How did you handle/study/keep on track for the HSC?
What is University like, what's the best university in Melbourne?
How is the Uni structured? Timetables or?!

I do these subjects:
Adv English
Ext. English 1
Ext. English 2
Catholic studies
Drama
Society and Culture
Math General

Anyone done these subjects? Advice on how to go about them?

Thanks.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Timetables. Roughly a 15 to 20 hour week.

And dude, just roll with it. You're young, so make mistakes and live a little.

HSC
Uni Grad
As for question 1, I just studied until I was confident with the course really, though I didn't do past papers and paid the price for it.

Timetables for uni, but it is a much more complicated process than it needs to be.
Instead of giving you the units that your course contains to pick times for, they give you every unit from every course and make you up look up what units are in your course, apparently this gets even harder when it comes to electives (wouldn't know for sure, I haven't done it yet).

I can't really give any subject specific info on those, just try and know the courses as well as you can and do some past papers.

About all I can say on english is that it is a good idea to get an english teacher (whether your own or a random one) to look over essays and stories and stuff and advise you on how to better it.

arjungamer123

HSC
I think it is just me, but I don't feel prepared for the HSC or university at all, I have no idea how uni works, what we do, how to pick courses and such! I'm completing my HSC/ATAR in 2010 but afterwards I want to do Journalism or Psychology in MELBOURNE.

A few questions...

How did you handle/study/keep on track for the HSC? It's all about finding a way to motivate yourself. For me, one main reason was that a mate bet me I couldn't get 99+, and I did. He now owes me a kickass party.Also, give yourself a high, solid target, and work towards it. Shoot for the stars; even if you miss, you'll land amongst the clouds.
What is University like, what's the best university in Melbourne?University is like school, except you have much more freedom and are treated like an adult. Also you pay a hell of a lot more, and no one pushes you to do anything. Monash and University of Melbourne are regarded as the cream of the crop of Victoria as far as I know.
How is the Uni structured? Timetables or?!Timetables, just like school. Some unis just ask you to enrol and make your timetables for you. Others allow you to plan it out all by yourself. The latter option is better, as you can pick days off (unless you happen to find yourself doing engineering, and getting a 5 day timetable with 9AM starts everyday:evilfire:)

I do these subjects:
Adv English
Ext. English 1
Ext. English 2
Catholic studies
Drama
Society and Culture
Math General

Anyone done these subjects? Advice on how to go about them?

Thanks.
Answers in quote box above as bolded.

General advice:
- Get enough sleep.
- Energy drinks don't work.
- Make study your first priority.
- Ignore all the talk of ranks. Just aim for 90% marks or above in every assessment you do, and good ranks will follow.

ashleejade09

HSC
Thanks everyone a lot! Heaps of help :)
I still need people have done similar subjects to me to give advice! :/

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Answers in quote box above as bolded.

General advice:
- Get enough sleep.
- Energy drinks don't work.
- Make study your first priority.
- Ignore all the talk of ranks. Just aim for 90% marks or above in every assessment you do, and good ranks will follow.
Coffee works, but don't have too much of it as it's a diuretic :/

Catholic studies isn't a HSC course. You'll just get a mark no one cares about on your HSC cert. Use catholic study lessons to sleep/catch up on homework from other subjects. Oh and if you have common sense, you'll end up with a decent mark anyway.

Your subjects aren't "high content" (aside from society and culture which i have no idea about :/ ) so you'll be fine. Just study smart not hard~

Ace drama and general maths. They're subjects which scale horribly, but that just means you just have to get a higher mark to counteract the scaling - remember the higher your mark, the less scaling affects it :)

I assume all unis work based on timetables ^^

arjungamer123

HSC

Catholic studies isn't a HSC course. You'll just get a mark no one cares about on your HSC cert. Use catholic study lessons to sleep/catch up on homework from other subjects. Oh and if you have common sense, you'll end up with a decent mark anyway.

Your subjects aren't "high content" (aside from society and culture which i have no idea about :/ ) so you'll be fine. Just study smart not hard~

Ace drama and general maths. They're subjects which scale horribly, but that just means you just have to get a higher mark to counteract the scaling - remember the higher your mark, the less scaling affects it :)

Coffee worked for you? I tried V once, and it sorta felt alright for 3-4 hrs, but for the longer hauls, it tanked big time.:argue:

ashleejade09

HSC

Yeah that's why I picked catholic studies for I am terrible at religion, don't think I took in seriously and it was mandatory for you to pick some sort of religion at myschool... so I picked the non-uai so that I wouldn't have to be marked on something I detest.
I am just really shitting bricks about the hsc haha, oh really I didn't know drama was scaled low! I knew gen maths was, but if i want to do Psychology you need at least one of the subjects listed which gen maths happeneds to be one of them. I done alright in my latest maths assessment, I got 73 out of 80 which I am pleased as I have failed miserably at previous years' maths assessments. Ha. Thanks for the advice!

shaon0

HSC
Best advice i can give you is that, study when you feel like it ie. do what ever you feel like. But my advice can be misleading at times.

lychnobity

HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org...n-2010-hsc/227559/tips-tricks-advice-hsc.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org...c/231990/how-do-well-english.html#post4799849

http://community.boredofstudies.org...eat-naturally-smart-people/4.html#post4798727

Tips to stay up late:

Do not drink caffeine, or anything other than water. No pills to stay awake. To stay up late and be fresh the next day, continually wash your face with cold water, and ensure your eyes do not go dry and remain cool (use eye drops or an ice pack. If necessary, chop cucumber slices and put on closed eyelids).

Go to sleep when your eyes are energised and not about to droop. I cannot stress this enough. If you go to sleep with tired eyes, you will wake with tired eyes. Wash your face with cold water before sleeping. If your eyes are drooping, stay up for an extra half hour so they regain some freshness.

Only take 15 minute power naps. No more, no less. Can only have 2 per night.

Always have at least 2h sleep in preparation.

Read. Learn and adapt if you like.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah that's why I picked catholic studies for I am terrible at religion, don't think I took in seriously and it was mandatory for you to pick some sort of religion at myschool... so I picked the non-uai so that I wouldn't have to be marked on something I detest.
I am just really shitting bricks about the hsc haha, oh really I didn't know drama was scaled low! I knew gen maths was, but if i want to do Psychology you need at least one of the subjects listed which gen maths happeneds to be one of them. I done alright in my latest maths assessment, I got 73 out of 80 which I am pleased as I have failed miserably at previous years' maths assessments. Ha. Thanks for the advice!
No worries :)

Keep up the good work with general and yeah, drama scales badly but i'm sure you'll be fine as your ATAR aim is definitely doable with your subjects :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)