I don't understand transgenic species methods... (1 Viewer)

groomy

I know that the restriction enzymes act on the DNA strand to cut out the desired gene, but from there i'm lost.
Do the 'ligases' then seal the original strand that had the section taken out?
e.g. original strand: ATTCGCC ---[ligase joins]---GCTTACG
or do they join the removed strand to a DNA strand in the host organism?
Cheers if you can help me out...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Ok, to produce a recombinant DNA (a DNA with the desired gene added), first you cut the gene that you want out, e.g, the human insulin gene. Then you use the same restriction enzyme to cut the vector DNA, e.g. a plasmid. Because both the insulin gene and the vector DNA are cut by the same restriction enzyme, they have the same "sticky" end.

You then add the two together, and add ligase to help to seal the two together. From there, you get your recombinant DNA.

You can then insert this DNA into say a bacterium, to express the insulin product.

pottsy1000

Hybridisation

in the syllabus it says something like " hybridisation within a species" does that mean eg cross breeding dogs or is it the production of a mule. please help me

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
pottsy1000 said:
in the syllabus it says something like " hybridisation within a species" does that mean eg cross breeding dogs or is it the production of a mule. please help me
Hybridisation of a species has nothing to do with trasgenic species, except you are manipulating the genes. You are right in that hybridisation of a species includes a mule, as a result of a cross between a horse and a donkey. Another example is lion and tiger to produce a liger.

groomy

hey, thanks so much for your help. I should be sweet with that part now if its in the exam, once again thank you i really appreciate it!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
groomy said:
hey, thanks so much for your help. I should be sweet with that part now if its in the exam, once again thank you i really appreciate it!
Great! Hope you do well.

danieljarvis

HSC
isnt that more in depth than would be needed :S
transgenic organism = organism with gene added from another organism to give new characteristic.. e.g. Cotton having the 'Ingard' gene added to act as an insecticide. Ingard gene is developed from BT ( Bacterius thyllum??:S )

i thought that would be a rough amount needed for a question like that

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
danieljarvis said:
isnt that more in depth than would be needed :S
transgenic organism = organism with gene added from another organism to give new characteristic.. e.g. Cotton having the 'Ingard' gene added to act as an insecticide. Ingard gene is developed from BT ( Bacterius thyllum??:S )

i thought that would be a rough amount needed for a question like that
I can't remember what the syllabus ask for this dot point. I think it was on both the second and third column and ask students to "Discuss" the use of a transgenic species. Soemtimes it's ok to know a little bit more to get the whole picture.

And Bt is Bacillus thuringiensis, not Bacterius whatever.. I've never heard of "Bacterius" in my microbiological study at uni so far. :p

danieljarvis

HSC
Survivor39 said:
And Bt is Bacillus thuringiensis, not Bacterius whatever.. I've never heard of "Bacterius" in my microbiological study at uni so far. :p
haha.. thanks man!! wasnt even close!! :( at least i acknowledged that part of my response was a fair stab in the dark :p time to hit the books if i feel like getting that 90! love u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)