i dont know what i wanna do in uni (1 Viewer)

indeed

HSC
there's not many months left and early entries also beginning to open, I'm not sure what course I wanna do though I want to pursue something in either the economics or science/stem field (I know, quite disparate career paths), so if anyone is in uni or doing a course or work in those fields (or even other fields) please recommend some options. Thanks all 👍

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
there's not many months left and early entries also beginning to open, I'm not sure what course I wanna do though I want to pursue something in either the economics or science/stem field (I know, quite disparate career paths), so if anyone is in uni or doing a course or work in those fields (or even other fields) please recommend some options. Thanks all 👍
well if ur interests are economics/science/stem then apply for related courses like economics (obviously), something specific in science like psychology or allied health (physio, OT, speech pathology) or even double degrees that for instance combine economics with a stem area like economics/computer science, or economics/business. with 5 choices to make in ur uac application, just narrow it down to degrees you think you'll most enjoy/aligns with ur interests, try to collect some early offers as well so your options are vast

I had no idea what I wanted to do in uni so my uac application was the most random thing ever (med, dent, psych, computer science, commerce), but my studies and career goals are pretty stable now

consider things like how long you want to be in uni, but more importantly what are you interested in - is the question. if you can answer that (seems like you can) then just go for courses that align with those interests bcz really the only way to find out if a course is for you, is by being in it and testing the waters yourself

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
First, it is important to note that whether a particular degree and/or major is offered is subject to the specific university(ies) that you are contemplating. With that being said, there are a number of degrees that may match your study interests. If you wish to start a career in economics (or a similar field), you may wish to consider the following degrees:
  • Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Actuarial Studies
  • Bachelor of Business/Commerce (with a major in or relevant to economics)
You seem to have a broader interest in terms of STEM than you do in economics, giving you a wider range of degrees to consider, including:
  • Bachelor of Science
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
  • Bachelor of Information Technology
  • Bachelor of Computer/Computing Science (with the possibility of completing an Honours component, as is the case of UTS). Computer science may also be studied as a major within a Bachelor of Science.
  • Bachelor of Mathematics. Maths may also be studied as a major within a Bachelor of Science.
As was mentioned above, a double degree enables you to satisfy all of your study interests by studying two degrees, although it is important to keep in mind that such programs take longer to complete than single degrees, meaning that whether a double degree is right for you depends on how long you intend to study at university for. The following are possible combinations that you may wish to consider:
  • Bachelor of Economics/Bachelor of Science
  • Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Science
I hope this helps! :D

dav53521

HSC
Also, another thing is that if you do end up regretting what course you're doing then you can always choose to switch so you aren't truly locked into a course, but ofc you need to produce a high enough selection rank

indeed

HSC
well if ur interests are economics/science/stem then apply for related courses like economics (obviously), something specific in science like psychology or allied health (physio, OT, speech pathology) or even double degrees that for instance combine economics with a stem area like economics/computer science, or economics/business. with 5 choices to make in ur uac application, just narrow it down to degrees you think you'll most enjoy/aligns with ur interests, try to collect some early offers as well so your options are vast

I had no idea what I wanted to do in uni so my uac application was the most random thing ever (med, dent, psych, computer science, commerce), but my studies and career goals are pretty stable now

consider things like how long you want to be in uni, but more importantly what are you interested in - is the question. if you can answer that (seems like you can) then just go for courses that align with those interests bcz really the only way to find out if a course is for you, is by being in it and testing the waters yourself
Yh true thanks for suggestions!

indeed

HSC
First, it is important to note that whether a particular degree and/or major is offered is subject to the specific university(ies) that you are contemplating. With that being said, there are a number of degrees that may match your study interests. If you wish to start a career in economics (or a similar field), you may wish to consider the following degrees:
  • Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Actuarial Studies
  • Bachelor of Business/Commerce (with a major in or relevant to economics)
You seem to have a broader interest in terms of STEM than you do in economics, giving you a wider range of degrees to consider, including:
  • Bachelor of Science
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
  • Bachelor of Information Technology
  • Bachelor of Computer/Computing Science (with the possibility of completing an Honours component, as is the case of UTS). Computer science may also be studied as a major within a Bachelor of Science.
  • Bachelor of Mathematics. Maths may also be studied as a major within a Bachelor of Science.
As was mentioned above, a double degree enables you to satisfy all of your study interests by studying two degrees, although it is important to keep in mind that such programs take longer to complete than single degrees, meaning that whether a double degree is right for you depends on how long you intend to study at university for. The following are possible combinations that you may wish to consider:
  • Bachelor of Economics/Bachelor of Science
  • Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Science
I hope this helps! :D
Oh ok thank you for the recommendations!

indeed

HSC
Also, another thing is that if you do end up regretting what course you're doing then you can always choose to switch so you aren't truly locked into a course, but ofc you need to produce a high enough selection rank
👍Thanks
Say I get a couple offers for uni and I end up choosing one to pursue for a couple of months next yr, am i able to shelf the rest and transfer whenever, or do I have to reject them

dav53521

HSC
👍Thanks
Say I get a couple offers for uni and I end up choosing one to pursue for a couple of months next yr, am i able to shelf the rest and transfer whenever, or do I have to reject them
You have to reject them as but it is possible to re-apply for them later on

Vall

HSC
👍Thanks
you can also defer most offers i’m pretty sure. so you’d be guaranteed a spot at another uni / course if you decided to change.
also, if youre looking at economics / business degrees and are expecting / hoping for a 98+ ATAR I would strongly suggest applying for a such a degree through MQ’s early entry because of their “business school academic excellence scholarship” (unless money won’t influence your choices)

indeed

HSC
you can also defer most offers i’m pretty sure. so you’d be guaranteed a spot at another uni / course if you decided to change.
also, if youre looking at economics / business degrees and are expecting / hoping for a 98+ ATAR I would strongly suggest applying for a such a degree through MQ’s early entry because of their “business school academic excellence scholarship” (unless money won’t influence your choices)
Oh ok will look into it, thanks 👍

fuzi

HSC
Hey! Completely understandable that you aren't sure, cause really, who is? I'm a first year economics student at USYD, and my brother is a mech engo/advanced science student at UNSW, so I can give a bit of insight into what both can offer in terms of uni and career-wise (tho, of course, I know the econ one a lot better).

If you like stem/science for things like maths but are tempted by economics? Good news! Economics will have a lot of maths. A lot. Depending on which way you choose to focus on it in uni, like econometrics or economics, financial economics, environmental, etc, chances are you will come across some pretty high level math, in a some ways similar to stuff you would find in stem related degrees. What's different is the application of course, but in the end, you do get a lot of the underlying skills in mathematics that you would in stem or economics. Economics is a little bit less of a guarantee for the higher level maths, particular as that won't usually be in your first year, but you can still tailor you degree to have more of a maths focus.

In my opinion, economics is a really broad and interesting field, that if you can learn how to apply properly, can open you up to a lot of career paths. I'm currently a cadet in equities research and being able to see the stuff I'm learning in classes happen live is amazing. At the same time, with just classes, you can also see all the different areas and is so versatile.

That being said, I think it is important to remember that this decision and what you study now is not the be all and end all. You can always change your study down the track or just apply your knowledge in a different field. For example, two people I know hold doctorates in their current job, but their doctorates are in a completely different area to what they are doing now, but they are still using that knowledge they have from that qualification. There is no one degree that can guarantee you better job prospects than any other, it's just a matter of how you apply yourself. Trust whatever decision you make, burn your bridges, and don't look back. Best of luck! You've got this :)

indeed

HSC
Hey! Completely understandable that you aren't sure, cause really, who is? I'm a first year economics student at USYD, and my brother is a mech engo/advanced science student at UNSW, so I can give a bit of insight into what both can offer in terms of uni and career-wise (tho, of course, I know the econ one a lot better).

If you like stem/science for things like maths but are tempted by economics? Good news! Economics will have a lot of maths. A lot. Depending on which way you choose to focus on it in uni, like econometrics or economics, financial economics, environmental, etc, chances are you will come across some pretty high level math, in a some ways similar to stuff you would find in stem related degrees. What's different is the application of course, but in the end, you do get a lot of the underlying skills in mathematics that you would in stem or economics. Economics is a little bit less of a guarantee for the higher level maths, particular as that won't usually be in your first year, but you can still tailor you degree to have more of a maths focus.

In my opinion, economics is a really broad and interesting field, that if you can learn how to apply properly, can open you up to a lot of career paths. I'm currently a cadet in equities research and being able to see the stuff I'm learning in classes happen live is amazing. At the same time, with just classes, you can also see all the different areas and is so versatile.

That being said, I think it is important to remember that this decision and what you study now is not the be all and end all. You can always change your study down the track or just apply your knowledge in a different field. For example, two people I know hold doctorates in their current job, but their doctorates are in a completely different area to what they are doing now, but they are still using that knowledge they have from that qualification. There is no one degree that can guarantee you better job prospects than any other, it's just a matter of how you apply yourself. Trust whatever decision you make, burn your bridges, and don't look back. Best of luck! You've got this :)
Oh ok, thank you so much for the advice and experience!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)