I DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD DROP. (1 Viewer)

poppi.sunning

HSC
I just don't know what to do, I'm failing my maths advanced course and my school won't let me drop down to 10 units because my last two units are extension subjects. Is this a normal thing for people at other schools?

I feel like I'm so far gone with all the content for my maths course and I just want to focus on my other subjects, maths isn't gonna count for my atar anyway with the marks that I'm getting. i just don't know what to do, its already May.

ms_grape_taco

HSC
I feel like it's pretty common from what i've heard that you must be on more than 10 units if you aren't "academically oriented." But this might not be the case for top 20-ish selective schools.

If you are DEFINITELY sure you aren't going to do well, maybe use that time for other subjects. OR prove to your principal that you are doing well in other subjects.

carrotsss

HSC
It’s not a thing at every school but yes your school can make you keep a subject, it’s presumably to protect you from ending up stuck with an extension which you want to drop but I feel like you should know by now if that’s the case. If your marks in your ext subjects is good enough I’d show them to your school as evidence that it’s not a concern.

Also check uni prerequisites, maths adv might be important for them depending on your course so just double check

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
This is the same question I’m asking myself for my uni course
IMG_3772.png

real advice: drop the course if you know you will not perform better than your other subjects. You can always take a bridging course in uni. If the school doesn’t let you drop fk ‘em and go study your other subjects in class and during the exam.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
If you've already lost interest, are not going to put any more effort into the subject and think it is a lost cause ... I would drop it. You could use something like that and what other people have said in your reasoning for dropping the subject.

In my experience, although I could drop one subject at the start of year 12, I was recommended to not drop the second (and go to 10 units).

Flyawayordont

HSC
Check your schools ranking. If it's high enough (top 150) most of your course ranks won't matter anyway. At the same time, check prerequisites for whatever you want to do after school. I'm not just talking "must do Maths" or "must do English Adv", I mean more along the lines of "must complete year 12 or equivalent" or whether they have a bridging course you could take instead. Explore all options, but look into subject weighting and study management as well. If you're acing one subject and it will automatically bring up your atar, spend more time getting 10% higher marks in that. If you're already topping other courses, cut a little study time on your best to spend more time bringing up your mark in Maths. I believe in you, but if school is not working for you, there are plenty of alternate options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)