I 'Dislike' English to the Point Where I Don't Try (2 Viewers)

Pete1555

HSC
Hey all!

I do standard English as I do somewhat struggle with the subject. I dislike everything about it to the point where I don't even attempt to study/revise for it, as I dislike it that much! I study for my other subjects as I do enjoy them, from Modern History to Mathematics to IPT. In term 4, I performed very well in all subject EXCEPT English. At the start of Year 11, I said to myself that Ill perform well, & that soon deteriorate. I said the same at the start of Year 12, & the same thing happened. So, I am getting a tutor for English so I can understand the concepts and most likely perform better in the subject.

So is there anyway to overcome this urge I have for English, as it must go towards my ATAR which makes it inevitable. :(

Thanks!

iBibah

HSC
Hey all!

I do standard English as I do somewhat struggle with the subject. I dislike everything about it to the point where I don't even attempt to study/revise for it, as I dislike it that much! I study for my other subjects as I do enjoy them, from Modern History to Mathematics to IPT. In term 4, I performed very well in all subject EXCEPT English. At the start of Year 11, I said to myself that Ill perform well, & that soon deteriorate. I said the same at the start of Year 12, & the same thing happened. So, I am getting a tutor for English so I can understand the concepts and most likely perform better in the subject.

So is there anyway to overcome this urge I have for English, as it must go towards my ATAR which makes it inevitable. :(

Thanks!
Well I think the fact that you don't have a choice should motivate you. You can either keep ignoring it and damage your ATAR (severely too, as it's standard), or try and receive a better result.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
inib4 Haya posts on this.
If you're aiming for a course with a high ATAR cutoff then that should be plenty of motivation :). Like say combined law or medicine or something?
Its only for another year man lol, I have to suffer 2 years :(. It provides me with a daily dose of the quintessence of mental fortitude...as well as a plethora of anguish and pain

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Just do it. I thought the same way and it ended up costing me 99 ATAR.

Rawf

HSC
I'm sure this is a problem for a lot of people too. I myself really disliked english throughout year 11 & 12, until half way through year 12 I realised I had to try harder or it'll pull my atar down A LOT.

What I found helped was to get an english tutor, because tutors are basically like forced study (well.. for me atleast). They'll basically force you to come up with crap and encourage you to write stuff, even if it sounds completely crap.

In the end, english still affected my ATAR (all my subs were atar 99+ equivalent and english was only 92 or something). If i didn't try in english at all like in the first half of the year, my ATAR would've been drastically worse.

You really need to find a balance between english and your other subjects. I used to be good at everything except english, but at the end i took time out to work on my english which drastically worsened both my ext1 maths and 2u maths, but ehh... still worth it. Just keep trying.

J18134

HSC
time to grow up and put the effort thats required in. good life lesson in it too

mac1996

HSC
Hey all!

Thanks!
Bro I was in the exactly same position as you. Once I got tutor I got a bit motivated for english but i still really hate it. I want to try really hard from now on because I know at this stage, English is definitely jeopardising my atar and WILL (undoubtedly) put it down.

fatboi

HSC
N/A
welcome to the real world

where u have to do stuff even if you hate it with a passion

grow up sunshine

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Hey all!

Thanks!
I'm sorry to say but there's no easy way around it in terms of motivation. I hated english with about the same passion as you do and it was my weakest subject. And that's what motivated me to try to do better, because I knew it would count towards my ATAR, so it was crucial for me to spend a lot of time trying to perfect it. I got an english tutor, handed in heaps of work (from mere ideas to full essays) and started to improve that way. The only thing you can do is to do something about it. If you can, try to find something interesting about what you're studying. Personally, for module A, we did Elizabeth Barrett Browning sonnets + Great Gatsby (texts in time), and I actually liked it because it was about historical context etc and I like history.

So good luck, and just keep in mind that you're not alone - everyone (except for a small percentage) loathes english with a passion, but most do get through it, and successfully. You've just got to put in the hours and have a positive mindset.

Breeby

HSC
Imagine low marks, low atar, low everything.

teabag

do it
HSC
suck it up princess
everyone else in the state, both before and (foresee-ably) after, have to do it too. fine don't try. don't put any effort in, but don't come whinging to bos when you inevitably fail. believe me, you are not the only one who hates english.

this is all part of life. sometimes we have to do stuff we don't want to do, we just have to grow a pair and get on with it.

studybot

HSC
I also hate English with a passion and overall, I do pretty well in my subjects (mostly science). I'm also getting an English tutor, haha we're kinda in the same boat. Goodluck :)

aekryan

HSC
inib4 Haya posts on this.
If you're aiming for a course with a high ATAR cutoff then that should be plenty of motivation :). Like say combined law or medicine or something?
Its only for another year man lol, I have to suffer 2 years :(. It provides me with a daily dose of the quintessence of mental fortitude...as well as a plethora of anguish and pain
i shuddered... i had that problem in year 10 too. Fix that up..

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I loathe the subject with a passion that burns at the heat of a billion suns, but I decided to get over it and just do it like a mature person. Came out with 96 in Advanced and 48 in Extension 1. I know Standard is harder to do as well in, but that's no reason to not apply yourself.

My logic at the start of the HSC year was that if I failed, I had no one else to blame but me. I suggest you adopt the same attitude because that way you're learning to take responsibility for your actions too and also because you start to look at what you can do to improve your own results rather than complain about why (or how) other people are doing better. If you fail resultantly from a lack of work spawned from your hatred of the subject, don't whinge about it - no one wants to hear about how sad you are that things didn't go the way you wanted because you, yourself, didn't put the effort in due to such a petty 'dislike' of English. And realistically speaking, that is what it is. A very, very petty 'dislike.'

I don't mean to sound harsh or rude here, but there are things in life you'll not want to do but have to. English is just one of them.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't really have a choice - you have to do it and I know exactly how you feel. English was boring, pointless and a waste of time but well, it will affect you in the future and it's worth investing some time in.

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad
Pete, with the right attitude I think English can become bearable, if not almost enjoyable. Although you are not choosing your modules or electives, try and adjust what you can to engage yourself. Pick related texts that you find interesting or, even better, pick a related text that you thin ksays something interesting about what you are studying and writing essays about. If you can find a bit of interest and engagement with the point you are making, the results will follow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)