I didnt get in...early round :( (1 Viewer)

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
hey, this year i defered mechanical engeneering at newy, i applied for next year, i checked the offers today and i wasnt offered a place...does that mean i wont get in or i could be accepted in the later rounds? my freind defered as well but she got a place...what do u think my chances are of getting in?

so worried i wont get in now :(

my uai was 77.5 and i relied on the 4 extra points newcaste gives to country students because the cource is about 80

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
yes the main round is your best shot as your mark is not high enough for them to hold a special place for you above this years candidature. Engineering at newcastle is very competitive

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i think the 4 rural points only happens if you study in the year immediately after your HSC....

and remember that heaps of people can get those points :)

good luck

sj

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
i just spoke to a postgrad friend and he said the eng faculty received record applications this year all competing for less places. He said that his girlfriend (she works in the office) told him they have gotten so many phone calls from people wanting to know if they got in after not getting an early round offer. They were told to watch the main round and we rarely offer in the early round.

And i think PrincessSJ is right, that the 4 points do not apply for deferrals. good luck anyway

baker182

HSC
If you dont get a offer, you can go through TAFE and gain credit points.

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
cant i study science or something the first year and then go into eng the next or something??

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
that is an option however hard. one lucky thing with that is all engineering share many common subjects in first year that you would be able to cover in physics major science

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i get to do a science course next year!! im actually kind of excited.. cause i havent done science since year 10!! yay

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Don't get too excited...Uni science is very different to school science (ie it's actual science, not comprehension tasks).

Be prepared to work. :p

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
countrydude said:
cant i study science or something the first year and then go into eng the next or something??
mining eng has a cutoff of 74 or something and that is 2 years of civil engineering at newcastle, then you complete the 3rd and 4th years at UNSW or UOW.
You would almost surely get into mining with your current UAI and if you had, say a pass/credit average after 1st year you could transfer into mech eng. Civil / mining eng has a few common first year subjects as mech eng so maybe you should look into that?

Mining

Mechanical

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
*bites back comments about whether SCIM courses are science or not*

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
dont bite your tongue too hard jess, it might damage your chances for future funny calls

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
*bites back comments about whether SCIM courses are science or not*

hey its a teaching course... primary curicculum!! nothing too much harder i hope :eek:

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
thanks guys, yep ill just put engeneering as my first prefrance then the mining transfer thingo 2nd....ill shurely getinto something

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
SCIM2030 and im hoping it is comphrehension sorta stuff.. cause its only a teaching course!
i heard that its really bludgy and easy, and we will get to learn about the first man who malked on the moon and aeroplanes and stuff :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)