i am the downfall of our education system! (1 Viewer)

yeahyeahyeahs

or so my friend says...

its because i dont think its realistic that I can get into the course that I really wanna do at uni (i will probably get a UAI 4 lower than needed) so will probably end up paying full-fees. Is this wrong of me?

apparently its unfair that "rich" kids who dont get the UAI get into courses when poor kids who get the marks deserve to get a spot. Especially with the budget raising the no. of fullfee students to 50% its been really heated. I feel really bad about this now should i choose a different course that I can get into even though I am dead-set keen on this course?

is a roflcopter
HSC
my teacher said that the thigns wont be in effect for our year

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
It's going to plague us here at uni too. :mad1:
The Nelson Review, it is called, and yes it's despicable. :mad:

I'd say that you try to go for the course you want by work. A gap of 4 isn't large, however you're going to want to work for that extra 4 points.

Even then, it's okay if you get in on full -fee paying. The government already cut a few billion (4?) dollars out of public education, and frankly I think the uni budget is a bit too tight atm. :rolleyes:

Lol, you can come to the rally on Thursday at uni in protest. :p

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah those changes don't come into effect until 2005. I reckon bring back good ol' Gough though, he knew what was good for this country

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
i get more pissed off when kids dont work or try knowing their parents will pay them through

Juliet

HSC
Originally posted by mlagana
i get more pissed off when kids dont work or try knowing their parents will pay them through
But at the end of the day, will they go to Uni and study after not trying for so long? Or end up failing?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
a difference of 4 uai points doesn't mean you go from fully hardworking poor kid to totally bludging rich kid
i think we need to be a bit more fair here

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I agree with Toodulu -- To get into any course you still have to work. I think the rich kid that bludges is a thing of the past. University, right now, is extreamly compeditive regardless of your financial situation.

That said, I hated the budget -- it is a typical Howard move and will result in education being a privlige of the elite, just like it use to be.

But, with our years (graduating 2002, 2003 and 2004) -- you need to work hard regardless. Sure, if your parents can afford to pay you through thats great. If they can't? well, it's a matter for 3 or 4 UAI points. And, for the financially disadvanged, you always have ACCESS schemes (the name differs, but the principle remains constant).

LOL.. I may sound really conservitive, and a Northie. But I'm is that 'poor' group that will be relying on Scholarships and Youth Allowance to pay my way through University ;)

Yeahyeahyeahs -- If your parents can pay you through Uni, then why not? get every educational advantage you can. Thats why I like our system now. Fee payers should remain at a minimum though, because I believe Higher Education should be universal and accessed by all sections of society.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
If you've got the money why not you pay your way through uni?? My parents are in the position to do just that and if I was really passionate about the course but missed out by a couple of UAI points there'd be no way I'd miss out on the opp just cos some ppl think its 'cheating'. Fuck off, Id rather the course I wanted thankyou. (and by the way Im not telling anyone to fuck off, its just an expression)

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Don't feel guilty for being able to get in because you can pay YeahYeah. You can't help that your parents can afford it. I wish my parents were flaming rich so I didn't have to give a toot about the hsc to this extent either...but that's not the case so I'm willing (sort of) to work my way up. I will probably miss the UAI I need for a few marks too...and it annoys me that some rich kid who possibly may not enjoy the course or feel as passionately for it as I do, will be able to pay to get in...but It's not anyones fault. Just you worry about your future :)

yeahyeahyeahs

thanks for your replies all :) I do work quite hard at school (im no bludger) but I know that Im not capable of getting 99.6 no matter how hard i work...i believe everyone has a limit and mine is probably hovering around 97. And since Im dead set keen on becoming a lawyer I will take the opportunity if my folks offer to pay. I mean lifes not a level playing field so yeah ill use that to my advantage. I do wish the education system were fairer though but yeah after howards reforms and stuff I think its highly unlikely that the gap will narrow...rather itd just get bigger and bigger which shucks. thats why i want to be a lawyer for like the UN or something to fix the world up!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
U dun have to get 99.6 to do law...
Well spotted. If you were passionate about law Macquarie and ANU are respectable uni's thats cutoffs are lower

Supaneo

Its the way it works!

Too bad for the class of 2005...

hopefully getting a scholarship without reaching the minimum uai target/..

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
you won't have a chance at getting much of a scholarship if you didn't reach the minimum UAI requirement.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
i dunno.....education should b free but today.....
so money would have to be involved somewhere somehow.....
i do think it's unfair.........do we want a richer country?.....or a smarter country?
u can become rich being smart.......can u become smart being rich?
Eg. inheritance from rich family to stubborn spoilt child who's sppon fed and ..........hmmm, off track a bit.
Up to 50% full fee paying?..............gee.....i'm definitely not there.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by lillaila

Eg. inheritance from rich family to stubborn spoilt child who's sppon fed and ..........hmmm, off track a bit.
ok, is the argument here is that if a "rich kid" and a "poor kid" get the same UAI and miss out on their course the rich kid gets to pay for the course while the poor kid can't afford it, and therefore doesn't get into the course? and so it's unfair because 2 kids who get the same UAI have different opportunities/choices under the same circumstances??

if that's the case i don't see the point of saying that the rich kid is spoilt, stubborn, spoon fed, doesn't give a toot about the hsc, won't "work or try knowing their parents will pay them through"

because the rich kid will only get into the course if they are within the full fee paying cut-off. and if they don't work or give a toot, generally, they won't get the same UAI as the poor kid who works and tries really hard... blah blah blah

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
rich people should pay poor people to tutor them, u know like $4.50 for two hours or something. that way poor people would have money (wouldn't have to go to UNI) and rich people could get what course they want without having to spend as much money.

chip

HSC
i know that each uni has different standards and reputations and all that but i just found out that uni of canberra has law and the cut-off is about 90UAi
so i was thinking about yeahyeahyeahs problem and if he/she does think its cheating by paying but believe they can get 97 why not go to canberra and then just pay for accomadation cause i'm sure if you could afford to pay uni you could pay the semester fees for college living

sorry just a thought

Generator

HSC
N/A
Note: Only 3 Universities (USyd, UNSW, ACU) offer fee paying places at the moment (that's not including international students), and the 50% level is only a possible maximum if the institution decides that it is willing to allow more places for these students.
Almost every course at Sydney doesn't approach the 25% barrier as it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)