I am "DEAD!" ARGHH (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
if you have this much trouble applying for uni, maybe uni is not the place for you. in uni, independence is the only way. there is no one there to hold your hand and tell you that you should do something. just stuff it.

wait until mid year. applying for final round is a waste of time in most cases.

Iamscrewed

HSC
Believe it or not going to uni straight after school or not is not the defining moment of your life. It is not the ultimate decision time which will govern the rest of your existence.
In fact, it represents only one minor decision in the greater scheme of things.

YOU are way too stressed. Calm down. Relax. Stop worrying about it. Think.
So you didn't apply properly and hence did not get a uni offer (that is the impression I get from this thread). This is not the end of the world. You won't be going to uni for at least the first half of this year. Why not see it as an opportunity? Perhaps work full time and see how you like it. Maybe do a few short courses at tafe in some different areas to see what you like. This might be useful if you don't know what you want to study or do as a career, as it will give you a taste of a number of different pathways and you can see how you like them. Maybe do some backpacking/travelling, or apply for a volunteer travel experience such as Camp America, or volunteering in a third world country. Don't you see that having some time off will actually give you a chance to explore what you might want to do in the future?

You can apply for midyear entry this year, or what until the end of the year and apply as a Mature Age (Non Year 12) applicant to university for next year. Learn from the mistake you made and next time you won't miss the application dead lines.

There are so many things you can do now, so don't waste the next few months wallowing in sorrow about having not got into uni. In fact, you could even go to university lectures (this is possible in most large degrees - arts, science, engineering etc) and see what you like.

This is not the end of the world, and now there are tonnes of things you can do to fill in the time before you reapply for uni, or which might show you that uni isn't even what you want to do!
Thanks I guess, I dont know if rocking up into sydney lectures at uni is allowed..is it?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
If you knew you wanted to go, why didn't you apply and pay the fee earlier? Even if you were only considering it pre-September, the $50 (approx) application fee is a lot cheaper than $50 + $200 late fee (approx). Oh well, always mid-year if you are lucky. UAC should not be held responsible for your procrastination and/or misunderstanding of rules that 70,000 other people understood.

Morbo

HSC
If you knew you wanted to go, why didn't you apply and pay the fee earlier? Even if you were only considering it pre-September, the $50 (approx) application fee is a lot cheaper than $50 + $200 late fee (approx). Oh well, always mid-year if you are lucky. UAC should not be held responsible for your procrastination and/or misunderstanding of rules that 70,000 other people understood.
Agreed.

Iamscrewed

HSC
That's why you just apply, then decide after you have been offered (or not offered) places. Just because you receive an offer, doesn't mean you HAVE to go......

edit: typo
Thats a pretty good tip..thnx ;)

Iamscrewed

HSC
Actually they gave 1 week and a little bit, but still.....also people could have a lack of resources sometimes or problems with the internet connection/family conflicts.

Yeah I was wrong in my last posts..Late round application "closing date" closed on the 23rd of Jan (Friday)
But there is a link sort of thing with how early people do have to pay their processing charge fee, because since there are so many people applying in the main round as compared to all the other early and after rounds, then there has to be a longer leeway or space before the main round offers are actually e-released.

If you do notice the difference of value between the set due dates that applications have to be submitted by (INC. Payment) against the actual release date of offers in the main and late rounds, the main round has a gap of about 1 MONTH while the late round has a gap of about a week. It goes to show that I guess people have to pay earlier to make it in the main round since there are so many people applying but then in the late round there are a fraction left of the main round and all..and hence there is only a 1 week or so gap.

Iamscrewed

HSC
Its just the way they explain about the application and stuff, I mean when I "applied" without the fee it said on my preference sheet given in my letter that I HAVE been considered but wasn't made an offer because I didn't pay the fee in time...its ambiguous as to why I didn't apply..but yeah 180 bucks is a lot of money...

the point is, its confusing also as to why I didn't pay the fee..so dont worry, I dont care what the majority of other people did or not - probably they where just too good for me because they have a higher UAI than me but then wasn't really sure as to what they really wanted to do or something...idk, lol.

Iamscrewed

HSC
Believe it or not going to uni straight after school or not is not the defining moment of your life. It is not the ultimate decision time which will govern the rest of your existence.
In fact, it represents only one minor decision in the greater scheme of things.

YOU are way too stressed. Calm down. Relax. Stop worrying about it. Think.
So you didn't apply properly and hence did not get a uni offer (that is the impression I get from this thread). This is not the end of the world. You won't be going to uni for at least the first half of this year. Why not see it as an opportunity? Perhaps work full time and see how you like it. Maybe do a few short courses at tafe in some different areas to see what you like. This might be useful if you don't know what you want to study or do as a career, as it will give you a taste of a number of different pathways and you can see how you like them. Maybe do some backpacking/travelling, or apply for a volunteer travel experience such as Camp America, or volunteering in a third world country. Don't you see that having some time off will actually give you a chance to explore what you might want to do in the future?

You can apply for midyear entry this year, or what until the end of the year and apply as a Mature Age (Non Year 12) applicant to university for next year. Learn from the mistake you made and next time you won't miss the application dead lines.

There are so many things you can do now, so don't waste the next few months wallowing in sorrow about having not got into uni. In fact, you could even go to university lectures (this is possible in most large degrees - arts, science, engineering etc) and see what you like.

This is not the end of the world, and now there are tonnes of things you can do to fill in the time before you reapply for uni, or which might show you that uni isn't even what you want to do!
Thanks heaps for you long and helpful advice..=p

Iamscrewed

HSC
Don't stress too much over it, it's just uni; wait till the mid year intake, it's only a few months (maybe it will open in April? May?) away!

Next time, be sure to log on UAC website early, apply early so you don't have to pay a late fee, and then choose whatever your preference is, after you pay all your application fee, you will have plenty of time to change your preference.
NOT ALL COURSES are offered in the mid-year, so how could I make the right choice out of 1800 or so courses? Lol..dw, I'm sort of over it now..

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Not bagging you out, but does anyone understand that sentence? Or is it just me, being as stupid as I am, that can't understand it?

It's mumbo jumbo English to me. Maybe i'm just tired.
It means the processing fee payment is an ambiguous process or case..you need to think about it.

Oxbridge

HSC
N/A
Some sound advice on here, but equally some harsh words written. I do agree that the fellow has had 'oodles' of time to choose whether or not to go to Uni, but it's not always as cut and dry as that. The best option, in hindsight, would have been to apply for uni straight away- just because you apply for courses does not mean you have to accept an offer! If you didn't apply early then you could have paid a late fee, which is peanuts in the scheme of things...
I agree with the advice that, providing you want to go to Uni, any course is better than none, and enrolling in the 'wrong course' can be rectified by transfering on your GPA the following semester.

This semester I will be undertaking three degrees (a double degree in Law/International Studies and a single in Town Planning at seperate Unis). Although this sounds a little mad, I found that undertaking two was 'do-able' and worked on the provisor that 'once you're enrolled you can always drop 'em', for the sake of a $50-$200 fee I feel it's worth the expense, the beauty being that should the workload be too much one can drop degrees before the census date.

All the best with your decision, hope it is the right one for you.
Would also like to say that there has been some good advice on here in that you should use this time between semesters to good effect.

Iamscrewed

HSC
Some sound advice on here, but equally some harsh words written. I do agree that the fellow has had 'oodles' of time to choose whether or not to go to Uni, but it's not always as cut and dry as that. The best option, in hindsight, would have been to apply for uni straight away- just because you apply for courses does not mean you have to accept an offer! If you didn't apply early then you could have paid a late fee, which is peanuts in the scheme of things...
I agree with the advice that, providing you want to go to Uni, any course is better than none, and enrolling in the 'wrong course' can be rectified by transfering on your GPA the following semester.

This semester I will be undertaking three degrees (a double degree in Law/International Studies and a single in Town Planning at seperate Unis). Although this sounds a little mad, I found that undertaking two was 'do-able' and worked on the provisor that 'once you're enrolled you can always drop 'em', for the sake of a $50-$200 fee I feel it's worth the expense, the beauty being that should the workload be too much one can drop degrees before the census date.

All the best with your decision, hope it is the right one for you.
Would also like to say that there has been some good advice on here in that you should use this time between semesters to good effect.
Well yeah, I guess I should have applied during my final years of school but sort of for the fun of it for me because I wasn't exactly sure of what I wanted to do yet and all that stuff. Therefore, I guess that is a lesson learnt..that even though you dislike going back to study or hate uni for some reason or rather - just apply anyways and keep your options open, even though your UAI is not what you quite expected for what you have achieved..

Iamscrewed

HSC
Actually they gave 1 week and a little bit, but still.....also people could have a lack of resources sometimes or problems with the internet connection/family conflicts.

Yeah I was wrong in my last posts..Late round application "closing date" closed on the 23rd of Jan (Friday)
ACTUALLY I WAS RIGHT, UAC ONLY GIVES LESS THAN 1 WEEK TO PROCESS AND PAY YOUR APPLICATION FEE (IN OTHER WORDS "LODGE" YOUR APPLICATION) AFTER PEOPLES CHANGE IN PREFERENCES LAST YEAR FOR THE LATE ROUND.

See the late round change in preferences closing date for the late round here

--> Universities Admissions Centre (NSW & ACT) Important dates

THEN look at the e-release of offers for the late round here

--> Universities Admissions Centre (NSW & ACT) Important information about application dates and offer rounds

THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE LESS THAN ONE WEEEK.

TO KEEP IT SIMPLE, it means that everyone who wants to apply for the late round who hasn't made a payment for uni yet HAS to make their SURE and FINAL decision in LESS THAN 1 WEEK (WHY LESS? Because some applications take more time to PROCESS than others) AS to whether their courses are correct and as to whether or not they want to go uni to do that course..which CAN be less!

Iamscrewed

HSC
Ahh whatever, the application with them is easy but they will always have one rule with them - i.e. "Pay the processing fee only if you will give enough time for the institutions to consider your preferences to receive an offer"

Why do I say that? Because I HAVE been considered for my preferences since I "applied" (without payment) beforee the due date (wherever it is in the uac site) and I WAS going to pay the fee (except not immediately) AFTER that due date somewhere (Which would've gave them a few days to process my money?) to get an offer if I was eligible..but noo, I guess its too late now so whatever .. :bomb:

I guess I have been a rule breaker but I didn't know their rules that well.. but still, having less than 1 week and a half or so to make a decision of wanting to do your right course if you applied a little late with a charge of a late fee is not enough time to make an inform and decisive decision!
I edited and requote this message..=p

Iamscrewed

HSC
Maybe you need to think twice, because I have just discovered something that would benifet all the people out there who applies for uni a bit late before (about a month before) the main round offers are released

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)