I am an overseas, is this a right choice for me in year 11? (1 Viewer)

pires_w

HSC
I am an overseas, is this a right choice for me in year 11?

I jus came from hk this year (yr 10)
is this a wise choice?

Adv. Eng
3 Unit maths
Chem
Phy
Economics
and a 1 unit sub.

which is better? ESL or Adv. Eng?

Gimme some comments plz ~thz^^

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

well. of course adv eng is better, but dont do esl unless your're really struggling.. :p
but at least do standard english
put other than that your subjects are fine :)
good luck

tempco

HSC
hrm, depends on your ability to speak/write english. i mean, see how you go in the school certificate, and ask for advice from one of your teachers as to which english course you should pick (adv/standard/esl).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well English is an official language in HK and it is taught in the schools there.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Yeah, you're really good at english kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekek.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Deus said:
Well English is an official language in HK and it is taught in the schools there.
thanks einstein

Though some schools put an emphasis on english, others chinese. A lot of HK see Eng as a second language, but they need it to get into uni and all.

To the overseas bloke: only do adv if you're sure of your english ability :) go for it, good luck in your SC

nwatts

HSC
It also might be worth noting that you're a student from overseas, not an overseas.

Do Advanced. You can drop down if it's too hard.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It depends on how well you can write essays as others have already stated, but if you put in the hard yards and get some help from people around you, you might be able to pull through. The hardest thing would be the concepts and understanding them in an English/Australian context as opposed to that of another culture/language.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
datAsianguy said:
you'll be right mate, if it gets too hard just drop down.... Im in standard but im a dumbarse so its hard for me. But if you know your stuff youll be right
hehe yeah, but its concerning that he called himself an 'overseas', i dunno, im thinking the same as other people. Go for adv. but if its too hard drop down.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
for adv english u REALLY have to know ur texts that u study, esp the languages used, i suggest you do standard or better off ESL, for u would be competiting with other people who may be a lot better then you in the subject and since your an overseas student u may be disadvanteged

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
for adv english u REALLY have to know ur texts that u study, esp the languages used, i suggest you do standard or better off ESL, for u would be competiting with other people who may be a lot better then you in the subject and since your an overseas student u may be disadvanteged
eh... so what if he's from overseas; a lot of other countries have english as a primary language you know.

From the way his post was structured and the poor grammar, you'd assume he should do standard; but I know a lot of people who're the same and are doing fine in advanced! I guess you have to work pretty hard. Good luck! :)

Scanorama

HSC
pires_w said:
I am an overseas, is this a right choice for me in year 11?

I jus came from hk this year (yr 10)
is this a wise choice?

Adv. Eng
3 Unit maths
Chem
Phy
Economics
and a 1 unit sub.

which is better? ESL or Adv. Eng?

Gimme some comments plz ~thz^^
You will probably find it very hard in English Advanced, but see how it goes, if you find it too hard, you can always drop down to standard english or ESL at anytime before the HSC. Since Year 11 does not count towards your HSC, so no matter how you screw up Year 11, it will not effect your HSC in any way.

I think there are quite a lot of essays involved in Economics, not 100% sure about this, but im sure other people would be able to tell you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)