Hypothetical situation - 20% overall internal mark (1 Viewer)

my1stpost

HSC
You know how HSC mark is the average of internal and external mark...is this ALWAYS the case?

Say someone scored overall internal assessment mark of 20% in say.. PDHPE, and in their HSC exam in PDHPE they scored 90%. (Remember, hypothetical!!)

Does this person's HSC mark for PDHPE still work out to be 90+20=110/2 = 55% ?

Because it's such a big difference in mark - 20% to 90%, do the people at BOS like do something .. because a teacher at my school said if its THAT big of a difference they will maybe push your internal up...i dunno..

or is it STILL average of 20 and 90??

Edit: and the person who got 20% internal for PDHPE is ranked near the bottom of course - not last though.

runnable

HSC
Its still averaged to be 55%.

BOS does not reward one hit wonders.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Yep.

Serves that person right for not trying hard throughout the year.

Thats assuming that when you say 20% overall internal mark thats their moderated assesment mark, not their actual average

patty4848

HSC
your internal mark has nothing to do with it... its your rank. say you are ranked 5/5, and your 5 exam marks together form 100, 99, 98, 97, 96, then your 20% becomes 96 because you are ranked 5th/last

duy.le

HSC
u know u guys shouldnt give wrong advice like that..(well not on purpose of course)

case 1: say that u are the only person in that class, well then indeed u will get 90 for ur overall hsc mark as u get the TOP mark in the external and the relative top mark (as u are the only one) then they take the average.

case 2: but say there are two people in this class and one does really well and one fails, while in the externals both of you do really well(90+) u will still both get really high marks (even though you are really far behind 1st internally the total moderated mark pool has to add up to the raw mark pool and hence u still do well)

case 3: there are lots of you in this class and first get like 96 and u come second with 90 (say there are like 10 people averaging 70*) [ps im going to assume u come close to last {sorry but 20% for pe is really bad} with a difference from first of about 40%] then ur internal moderated will still be about 50-65 give or take, and hence u get a HSC mark of

(60+90) /2 = 75

sorry about the grim news but case 1&2 are both good. :)

case 4: your cohort is bad and thus top was bad (achieving only 70), well then my friend you are screwed.

*note: if the average is really low ie 40 yeah u will still get a bad moderated internal

Last edited:

my1stpost

HSC
Awww.. :(

Yeah I'm case 3...I'm ranked 30 / 40 something people with 30% internal :(

At least I got accepted for private college *still want 60+UAI though*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)