• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Human rights and state sovereignty (1 Viewer)

lilchezza

HSC
okiez i need to know an example of a human rights abuse and how state sovereignty has helped/hindered the situation. i have done an example of it but only got 3 1/2 out of 5, my eg was on Israel and trafficking of women basically i just outlined the issue and said that state sovereignty wasn't much help as the UN was unable to do anything to help solve the issue because of it.
does anyone have any ideas on how i can improve this or another example i could look at?

Last edited:

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
well... i think from criteria...

u need to define the issue
state the main legal issues involved... so you'd takl about whats going on in israel how they are trafficking women... maybe even state a human right in the "universal declaration of human rights"
and with the state sovereignty bit... try and look at evaluating the situation..
you know what state sovereignty is yeh? u can even define it and jus apply it into the context of your argument...

umm im tryna adopt the type of response here where you write alot and alot... and somewhere in there, the answer is evident..

i could be wrong...hope that helps.. if u havent alreadi found the answer from another source... :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
State sovereinty hinders human rights protection because it is the principle that nation-states have the right to make laws for the citizens within its boundries without the interference of other nation states. Thus if a nation state is violating a human right which may be perfectly legal in that country but a violation in the international sphere, other countries cannot intefere with their laws, they cannot enforce their laws or make them change them.

Also due to sovereignty states can chose whether or not to sign and ratify treaties, thus again no once can force them to sign something such as the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Thus its principles cannot be enforced...

I hope this made sense, its late *yawns* good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)