hub (1 Viewer)

xeriphic

- A hub is a central connecting device in a network. Data arrives at the hub from one or more devices and is forwarded out using just one cable.

- A hub is a central connecting device in a network. When a hub receives data from a node, it sends the data back out along all the cables (except back to the sender) on the network.

can anyone tell me, which answer is more valid for the definition of a hub, thanks

gilese

xeriphic said:
- A hub is a central connecting device in a network. Data arrives at the hub from one or more devices and is forwarded out using just one cable.

- A hub is a central connecting device in a network. When a hub receives data from a node, it sends the data back out along all the cables (except back to the sender) on the network.

can anyone tell me, which answer is more valid for the definition of a hub, thanks

The first one is more correct then the other becasue the hub send back via all cables to the node, therefore every computer receives the message that has bin sent

sunny

meh.
HSC
gilese said:
The first one is more correct then the other becasue the hub send back via all cables to the node, therefore every computer receives the message that has bin sent
You mean thats the second one :)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
the second one, reason is because a normal hub will not have hardware which supports it to create a table of all connected nodes, therefore the information must be sent to all nodes

where as an 'intelligent' hub or switch will have data tables of all connected nodes and be able to send data directly

Lorie

HSC
dude, if u wrote either one you would still get full marks.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
no the first one doesn't sound right
i don't particularly like this line "is forwarded out using just one cable."

SamD

HSC
N/A
xeriphic said:
A hub is a central connecting device in a network. When a hub receives data from a node, it sends the data back out along all the cables (except back to the sender) on the network.
This is defintely the best of your two defintions, however...

Your use of the terms "receives" and "sends" reads strangely to me (although I suspect many texts do use these terms). A hub does nothing more than connect all the nodes together. Therefore once a message is placed on any wire it is virtually immediately present on all connected wires. The hub doesn't recieve data and then send it, it just connects the wires. We're talking about voltage changes, and down copper wire they're propagated at close to the speed of light.

Conceptually these voltage changes are simultaneously present on all wires connected to the hub. It is the speed at which the voltage is changed that determines the rate of data transmission NOT the time it takes for a voltage change to reach its destination.

HTH
Sam

Last edited:

xeriphic

actually the first definition came from heinneman and the second came from jarcaranda, so I really confused of which is more accurate, thanks for the explainations I understand it now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)