HSC vs. IB vs. A-Levels vs. SAT vs. VCE (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
I was just wondering how people thought the HSC rated compared to other similar programs around the world and elsewhere in Australia, such as the International Baccalaureate, SAT, A-Levels, VCE and the like.

Looking at IB Chemistry syllabus and SAT vocabulary lists (as compared to 'Band Six' responses and harder topics of our syllabus) it seems like the HSC has a lot of typically 'Board of Studies' stuff which isn't really at the true heart of the subject in terms of how it is studied at university and overseas; and for the most part it seems less 'challenging' even though I know some HSC courses are considered academically rigorous.

So, what's your opinion? Has anyone experienced the HSC and another similar program and found one of the two significantly better?

u-borat

Banned
HSC
A pretty experienced teacher of mine told us that the IB is a lot harder than the HSC in maths at least.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Friends of mine who just finished their A-levels confirm the lower-challenging level of HSC compared to A-Levels. Their Chem and Maths are much harder with more scientific applications as well as the depth of knowledge.
I've seen the SAT tests and well, obviously HSC is the easiest among all of these?

shaon0

HSC
nandayo said:
I was just wondering how people thought the HSC rated compared to other similar programs around the world and elsewhere in Australia, such as the International Baccalaureate, SAT, A-Levels, VCE and the like.

Looking at IB Chemistry syllabus and SAT vocabulary lists (as compared to 'Band Six' responses and harder topics of our syllabus) it seems like the HSC has a lot of typically 'Board of Studies' stuff which isn't really at the true heart of the subject in terms of how it is studied at university and overseas; and for the most part it seems less 'challenging' even though I know some HSC courses are considered academically rigorous.

So, what's your opinion? Has anyone experienced the HSC and another similar program and found one of the two significantly better?
I've heard in difficulty: A-levels>HSC>=IB>VCE>SAT.
SATs aren't that difficult but A-levels are quite a bit more difficult than the HSC but the people sitting it are around one-two years older than the people sitting the HSC.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
u-borat said:
Yeah forgot to add, SATs are a joke.
How so? I mean considering they use them for entry into some of the most 'prestigious' universities in the world - wouldn't they pretty decent at weeding out talent from shit, despite being a pretty standardised test?

u-borat

Banned
HSC
entry into the prestigious universities is a lot more about your interview and other factors, rather than the sats, which are ridiculously easy....so yeah.

shaon0

HSC
u-borat said:
Yeah forgot to add, SATs are a joke.
Yea i would agree. SATs are the biggest jokes. I mean its like Year 10 Advanced Maths. and the writing and english/grammar is really easy to...
To get into the most prestigious universities you need money or you have to be very very smart and get a scholarship.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
u-borat said:
entry into the prestigious universities is a lot more about your interview and other factors, rather than the sats, which are ridiculously easy....so yeah.
Do you think that the Australian system, with the UAI pretty much being the sole factor for entry (excluding Medicine) is better or worse then? I think it'd be better if there were interviews and consideration of co-curricular activities, leadership roles and whatnot in addition to the UAI.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
well putting aside my reservations about the hsc itself, yes i think it could do with a bit more emphaisis on cocurricular stuff; considering the dumbing down of the hsc coupled with its overreliance on rote learning and memory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)